Postseason roster projection/discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postseason roster projection/discussion

It's mostly decided, but there are a couple spots at the end of the roster that are questionable, so I wanted to write it all down.

Position player locks:
    Starters (8): Abreu, Hernandez, TA, Moncada, Yaz, Eloy, Robert, Engel
    Bench (4): Sheets, Leury, Hamilton, Vaughn

Pitching locks:
    Starters (4): Giolito, Lynn, Cease, Rodon
    Relievers (7): Hendriks, Kimbrel, Bummer, Crochet, Kopech, Tepera, Lopez

Not much discussion needed for any of the above. I'm assuming Rodon is healthy enough despite TLR's recent comments (if not, Keuchel would take his spot).

So that's 23 of 26 set in stone. Who gets the last 3 spots? Very likely one from each of the following 3 categories:

Backup C: Collins vs. Zavala. I've been pretty confident for awhile that it's going to be Collins, and his performance over the last couple weeks (.817 OPS) has reinforced that. He's better than Zavala at everything except framing.

Other position players: A lot depends on Goodwin's health, which I haven't heard an update on. If he's healthy, he probably gets the nod, though I don't see much of a role for him. If Goodwin isn't healthy is where it gets tricky though. Options on the 40 man include Romy (with commissioner's approval as an injury replacement), Mendick, Burger, or Yermin. Of them, I would probably give the nod to Mendick for his versatility, and I just don't think Romy is ready for that kind of spotlight.

Relievers: The 3 options to me are Keuchel, Ruiz, or Burr. I hope it's not Keuchel - I don't think he offers much of anything in a relief role, but it's possible TLR gives the nod to the veteran based on "playoff experience" (keep in mind that playoff experience didn't help him much last year). Ruiz's peripheral numbers (FIP, xFIP) are a little better than Burr's so combined with more experience, I would give the nod to him.

So my best guess would be Collins, Goodwin, and Ruiz, with Mendick replacing Goodwin if Goodwin can't go.

The other possibility is they go with a 7-man bullpen for a short 5-game series, and include another bat. In that case, the extra bat would go to Burger (ability to play OF wouldn't be a requirement).

Post-season rosters are due at 10 AM Thursday.

On Carlos Rodon, Rich Hahn says "We remain optimistic he will be able to contribute over the course of the next month."

Comment

Originally posted by notjimrose View Post
      Post-season rosters are due at 10 AM Thursday.

On Carlos Rodon, Rich Hahn says "We remain optimistic he will be able to contribute over the course of the next month."
      The Sox would be idiots to tip their hand on Rodon any earlier than required. Why let the Astros know they need to start watching film on him? Let them think someone like Keuchel is facing them so they can waste time watching his films when, for all we know, it will be Giolito, Cease, Rodon and Lynn.

Comment

Schedule (all times CT)

Thurs 3:07pm FS1

Fri 1:07pm MLBN

Sun 7:07pm FS1

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
          Schedule (all times CT)

Thurs 3:07pm FS1

Fri 1:07pm MLBN

Sun 7:07pm FS1
          Hope a lot of fans have FS1 and the MLBN. Here's the Sun-Times story with more details:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...ite-sox-astros

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Hope a lot of fans have FS1 and the MLBN. Here's the Sun-Times story with more details:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...ite-sox-astros
            On Xfinity at least, FS1 is available on most packages.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
              On Xfinity at least, FS1 is available on most packages.
              Yes if you get ESPN and the Sox cable station you get FS1. You can add MLB network for $10/month and you can cancel anytime, so for $10 you could see all games over the next month.
              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Margalus predicts the postseason roster. He goes with Romy and Burr for the last two spots.

No mention of Goodwin in the article at all. Are we assuming that he is still hurt?

Comment

Chatter on Twitter today that Goodwin is still injured and speculation over who replaces him on the postseason roster. Could be a way for Romy Gonzalez to get on the roster.
                  "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                  -- Thucydides

Comment

Per Scott Merkin, Bob Costas, Jim Kaat, and Buck Showalter, along with reporter Tom Verducci, will be on the call for Game 2 on MLB Network.

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                      Chatter on Twitter today that Goodwin is still injured and speculation over who replaces him on the postseason roster. Could be a way for Romy Gonzalez to get on the roster.
                      Link? I haven't seen anything other than Margalus's article, which doesn't mention Goodwin at all. I'm wondering if it's just coming from fans, or from someone who knows something.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

Link? I haven't seen anything other than Margalus's article, which doesn't mention Goodwin at all. I'm wondering if it's just coming from fans, or from someone who knows something.
                        When Goodwin went on the IL, it was reported that his 2021 season was over.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

When Goodwin went on the IL, it was reported that his 2021 season was over.
                          Dump - I think it was reported that his regular season was over (because his 10 days on the IL would bring us to where we are now).

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
                          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
                          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Friday's game on a premium cable channel that few people have and the average Chicago sports fan has prolly never heard of? I am incredulous. And I don't believe it.
                            If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

Originally posted by berwyn View Post
                              Friday's game on a premium cable channel that few people have and the average Chicago sports fan has prolly never heard of? I am incredulous. And I don't believe it.
                              https://www.wsiforumstoo.com/forum/t...9187#post49187
                              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
                              X