*Official* 9/29 What Velocity Problem? Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 9/29 What Velocity Problem? Postgamer

Carlos looked just fine. If he pitches like that in the playoffs, he'll be tough to beat.

The offense did well, too.

What a MLB debut season for Gavin Sheets! Incredible.
    White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
      Carlos looked just fine. If he pitches like that in the playoffs, he'll be tough to beat.

The offense did well, too.
      I hope you're right. He's got a lot less margin for error at 90-91 compared to 96-98, and against the Reds instead of the Astros. But yeah, I think he's shown that he's healthy enough to start in the ALDS.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

I hope you're right. He's got a lot less margin for error at 90-91 compared to 96-98, and against the Reds instead of the Astros. But yeah, I think he's shown that he's healthy enough to start in the ALDS.
        If he can continue to work up and down and in and out he should be fine. Yeah if he makes a mistake at 91 it's gonna get smoked a lot more often than at 97, but he looked pretty solid tonight in terms of control.
        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Can't ask for better, a Sox win and Rodon even though his speed was down about four miles per hour from "normal" was effective. He deserves a playoff start unless he comes up sore in the next few days.

Comment

TLR on Rodon:

“He found a way to get hitters out, the big key is how he feels physically [Thursday] so he can get closer to where he was velocity wise, so just reserve judgment."

Comment

By the way the Sox finished Interleague play with a record of 14-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                By the way the Sox finished Interleague play with a record of 14-6.
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe historically, the Sox are one of the better franchises when it comes to interleague play.

Comment

Here is Gavin Sheets’ slash line as the Designated Hitter:
                  .302 .397 .730 1.127
                  Now, does anyone want to argue that he shouldn’t be the regular starting DH v RHP in the playoffs?

Or next season, for that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                    .302 .397 .730 1.127
                    Now, does anyone want to argue that he shouldn’t be the regular starting DH v RHP in the playoffs?

No question. If the Sox are able to make a deep run this year, he could be our Randy Arozarena - the rookie who nobody's ever heard of coming in and clubbing postseason HRs. One of the most impressive things is that it doesn't at all seem like any moment is too big for him, which makes me think he can keep this up into October.

It was pretty funny last night when Gray started him off with 3 straight curve balls, and Benetti/Stone were talking about how the Reds know how good of a fastball hitter he is. Then he tries to sneak a fastball by him and Sheets hits it out of the park. This game plan is also reflected in the Statcast data - he's destroying both fastballs and changeups, but has struggled somewhat against breaking pitches. I suspect that's the case with a lot of hitters though, since breaking pitches are more likely to come when the pitcher is ahead in the count.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...-r-hitting-mlb

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                      .302 .397 .730 1.127

I don't think there is any debate at this point around Sheets as our DH vs. RHP (and for next season also getting ABs as a 1B or corner OF).

This kid could be pretty special- he can catch up to the high fastball, he goes the other way, and he's picked up a few knocks vs. LHP- it's been pretty cool to watch him develop over the years- he specifically focused on making contact early in his career, then layered on the power- huge to develop a LH bat like him in our farm system.
                      #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

Every day i get more excited about what Luis Robert can do for this team . i'm expecting him to have a great series against the Astros . we're right behind Houston and if Oakland can just get a little motivated, and the Sox can sweep, we can catch them, and pass them.

Comment

Obviously the title of the thread is disingenuous because Rodon did very much have a velocity problem, he was just able to pitch through it very effectively. Perhaps he was holding back. The offspeed stuff worked which is equally as important.

Sheets/Vaughn platoon at DH is obvious solution given their splits. I'm just worried about Eloy.

"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                          -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

I don't think there is any debate at this point around Sheets as our DH vs. RHP (and for next season also getting ABs as a 1B or corner OF).

This kid could be pretty special- he can catch up to the high fastball, he goes the other way, and he's picked up a few knocks vs. LHP- it's been pretty cool to watch him develop over the years- he specifically focused on making contact early in his career, then layered on the power- huge to develop a LH bat like him in our farm system.
                            I think this is the key to his confident approach, and it’s the reason I have a special rooting interest in him. Horse before the cart, contrary to the current trend. He knows that he can do damage to pitchers’ mistakes. It usually takes a good pitch to get him out, as opposed to an average breaking ball or a fastball clearly out of the zone.
                            (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post
                              Every day i get more excited about what Luis Robert can do for this team . i'm expecting him to have a great series against the Astros . we're right behind Houston and if Oakland can just get a little motivated, and the Sox can sweep, we can catch them, and pass them.
                              Houston has one more against Tampa today. If Tampa wins then things get interesting. Sox will only be one game back. Yeah it would require an Oakland sweep and the Sox to win 2 or a Sox weep and Oakland to win two, but it's still possible.
                              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
                              X