A Conversation With Carlos May...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conversation With Carlos May...

Just posted another interview on the home page, this time with former Sox outfielder Carlos May who overcame a horrific injury to become a very sloid player for the Sox in the first half of the decade of the 1970's.

You can find it here:

https://www.wsiforumstoo.com/47967-a...ith-carlos-may

Any comments or questions, please post them in this thread.

I hope you'll enjoy the interview.

In 1969 after my Air Force stint was up I remember attending a Sox-Pilots DH in April with May and Melton leading the Sox to a sweep of the DH. I thought that those 2 would be the next great things but Carlos had that terrible injury while on National Guard duty in August which hampered his career but still wound up with decent numbers. Melton had that back injury in 72 and was really never the same so things did not turn out as I was hoping with those 2 but they still gave us some thrills in their years with the Sox.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-25-2021, 06:43 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Excellent article Lip, I met Carlos a few times over the years at Soxfest and Grinder Bashes, and he’s always a pleasure to talk to. I was always proud of the way he overcame such a serious potentially career ending injury to have a solid major league career.

Comment

And this was ALWAYS one of my favorite baseball cards as a kid. I just thought he looked so cool in the powder blue uniform

Comment

Carlos made a visit to our youth league when I was a kid as part of their winter caravan PR visits. I asked him if the Sox were planning to run more in the coming season.
          He laughed and said, "Maybe some of the other guys."

Comment

Great interview. Thanks for posting this Lip. May was already gone by the time I started following the Sox as a young lad. I didn't realize he had such good season for the Sox, including 2 all-star appearances. Also interesting to hear that he played in Japan for a few years.

Interesting to hear the comments about people being unhappy at the time of the interview with the Sox trading away a bunch of players or letting them leave via free agency (14 total). It looks to me like this was heading into the 2005 season. I guess all those trades worked out after all.
            White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

What an excellent White Sox player he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post
                Great interview. Thanks for posting this Lip. May was already gone by the time I started following the Sox as a young lad. I didn't realize he had such good season for the Sox, including 2 all-star appearances. Also interesting to hear that he played in Japan for a few years.

Interesting to hear the comments about people being unhappy at the time of the interview with the Sox trading away a bunch of players or letting them leave via free agency (14 total). It looks to me like this was heading into the 2005 season. I guess all those trades worked out after all.
                The interview was done in 2004.

Comment

Working...
                X