*Official 9/24 One Is Just Enough To Win...*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official 9/24 One Is Just Enough To Win...*

Cease is very fortunate that ball bounced before it hit him. His delivery leaves him open to comebackers because he rotates his body so much on his release.

Seems the "injury-bug" is going to keep biting the Sox until the very last game whenever that is. It simply will not end. They got very lucky tonight it wasn't a lot worse.

The biggest encouraging thing tonight was Kimbrel's outing. Story in the Sun-Times a few days ago said they think they figured out what was wrong with him. Maybe they did. That would be massive heading to Houston.

As far as the offense...well...

13th shutout this year thrown by the Sox pitching staff.

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    Cease is very fortunate that ball bounced before it hit him. His delivery leaves him open to comebackers because he rotates his body so much on his release.

Seems the "injury-bug" is going to keep biting the Sox until the very last game whenever that is. It simply will not end. They got very lucky tonight it wasn't a lot worse.

The biggest encouraging thing tonight was Kimbrel's outing. Story in the Sun-Times a few days ago said they think they figured out what was wrong with him. Maybe they did. That would be massive heading to Houston.

It bounced, but that didn't stop Jason from saying he'd been hit by a line drive. Hoping he's a fast healer. Down to two reliable starters without him. At his best I have him ranked ahead of Gio. You would think that after a HOF career, Kimbrel would know what was wrong on his own instead of being more inscrutable that a cheap racehorse. I thought he was getting under his fastball too much. The guy I saw last night looks unhittable. Sharp breaking curve thrown with more pace than most curves.
    If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

I hope that Cease will be ok . not a lot of offense, but i like this type of game . anyway, the Astros lost again, so that's good.

Comment

Glad they won, and really glad nothing worse happened to Cease. He's pitched extremely well this year, and I'd hate to see him go down to injury. And it was good to see Kimbrel on top of his game.

Keep it going, and catch the Astros.

Comment

If you would have told me in February that Dylan Cease would lead lead the staff in victories and Carlos Rodon would be second, I would have told you (1) you're crazy or (2) the Sox will finish in fourth place.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
            If you would have told me in February that Dylan Cease would lead lead the staff in victories and Carlos Rodon would be second, I would have told you (1) you're crazy or (2) the Sox will finish in fourth place.
            Yes, I agree with this. I never imagined either would have happened. But I'm certainly glad they happened. Both have had excellent years, come what may over the off season.

Comment

Cease's accomplishments are less surprising to me than Rodon's. I felt Dylan was a developing talent but I was hoping Carlos could just contribute a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Stone illustrated this very problem some games ago, namely how Cease and some other pitchers do not land square to the batter's box. Its wrong on many counts and is particularly dangerous when those balls do get hit back to you. I do not understand, frankly why Cease and Katz haven't fixed his falloff by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

Stone illustrated this very problem some games ago, namely how Cease and some other pitchers do not land square to the batter's box. Its wrong on many counts and is particularly dangerous when those balls do get hit back to you. I do not understand, frankly why Cease and Katz haven't fixed his falloff by now.
                  Riddle me this, isn’t this something a pitcher is taught and learns as early as Little League? Correct me if I’m wrong O Sage of the stitched sphere, but isn’t that purpose intended as part of fielding your position after you release the ball? I’ve pitched up to Legion ball and had my share of Burma Shave moments and thanked the Lord I landed feet square and glove center. (I also tried to snare a line drive barehanded in a boneheaded moment, but that’s a story for another day)

I guess if Coop was still here he could fix him, but it looks like Katz is stuck working with him on this choreography of the pitchers two step.

BK59

Comment

Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

Riddle me this, isn’t this something a pitcher is taught and learns as early as Little League? Correct me if I’m wrong O Sage of the stitched sphere, but isn’t that purpose intended as part of fielding your position after you release the ball? I’ve pitched up to Legion ball and had my share of Burma Shave moments and thanked the Lord I landed feet square and glove center. (I also tried to snare a line drive barehanded in a boneheaded moment, but that’s a story for another day)

I guess if Coop was still here he could fix him, but it looks like Katz is stuck working with him on this choreography of the pitchers two step.

BK59
                    Yeah, that is how I teach pitching. I really enjoyed Stone talking about just this on a few broadcasts. I was taught and I taught all of my pitchers that once you throw the ball you have to expect the ball being hit back to you. Speaking about line drives and barehanded. Did you happen to see that line drive that Juan Pizarro caught barehanded. I'm not sure but it might have been Mickey Mantle hitting right handed. But Pizarro snared the thing, looked at it casually, and then just gently dropped it on the mound and then walked off like nothing had happened.

Back to Cease, I have to think that this is all on Cease as to his follow through. I think that Katz has tried to fix his problem but Cease is a maverick in regard to it. My own opinion is that if Cease continue this follow-thru he will always give up a lot of walks and have higher pitch counts. Its all in the landing and follow thru.

Comment

Working...
                    X