June 19, 1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 19, 1983

Oakland Athletics at Chicago White Sox Box Score, June 19, 1983 | Baseball-Reference.com
    Britt Burns threw a complete game 1-0 shutout at Comiskey against the A's.

Why is this a significant game? The Sox were going nowhere fast under skipper Tony LaRussa. They were three games under .500 after the game, 5th place in the old AL West (back then, there were only two divisions in each league).

This started a 70-30 run to the end of the season to finish with the best record in all of MLB that year.

This year's team, it could be said, did it in reverse (hot first half, 50/50 second half), but maybe this means there will a reverse outcome in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Dumpjerry; 09-23-2021, 08:49 PM.

Garfield's fifth birthday.

Comment

I think that was about the time Fisk was moved to the #2 slot in the order- that seemed to really get him and the overall offense going?
      #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

Yep. Hitting him in front of Harold kickstarted everything.

Comment

By the way, that MLB-best 1983 team was 30-30 against teams above .500.

Awesome.

Comment

Damn you Tito

Comment

Originally posted by 34rancher View Post
              Damn you Tito
              On 9/11 this year, they were doing various remembrances of that tragic day on MLB Radio. The Card's PBP guy (his name escapes me) talked about his memory of that day. He said his old teammate Tito Landrum, was working as a stock broker in the World Trade Center at the time and would have been at work when the planes hit but for the fact he had a dentist appointment elsewhere at the time of the attack.

Comment

Sox bats went very, very cold in the '83 playoffs. Pitching was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishsox1 View Post
                  How many check-swing strikeouts did Luzinski have? A lot.

Comment

...then there was the baserunning. Rather, just one little error in baserunning.....

Comment

Originally posted by KenBerryGrab View Post

How many check-swing strikeouts did Luzinski have? A lot.
                      Between the swinging at the junk and The Bull half hacking I was losing my mind.

Comment

I was all alone in my apartment in St. Paul, MN (was in college at the time) when I watched the fateful game. I'm sure the neighbors thought I lost treasured family members if they heard my bawling and cursing after the final out was made........

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                          I was all alone in my apartment in St. Paul, MN (was in college at the time) when I watched the fateful game. I'm sure the neighbors thought I lost treasured family members if they heard my bawling and cursing after the final out was made........
                          I saw the final out at the old Merle Harmon’s Fan Fair in Water Tower Place

Comment

Wasn't excellent in game 3, Dotson and the Sox were bombed by the Orioles 11-1.
                            Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-29-2021, 05:40 PM.
                            Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Given the White Sox rally Monday I hope TLR remembers what he told me concerning the 1983 postseason:

ML: The A.L.C.S. against Baltimore was another story, the Sox just couldn’t hit. I’ve read talk that perhaps the victory party downtown right before the playoffs started may have put undue pressure on some players. Looking back, did that have an impact?

TLR: “That’s a really good question. I don’t think it was good to push “Bull” (Luzinski) to be our spokesperson. He was from Chicago and we had him speak for all of us, but I don’t think the rally itself did anything to hurt us.”

“I think the issue was that I didn’t do a good job of getting the team to turn the page, to let go of the fact that we won the division and had to start over. That’s on me. When I went to Oakland I met John Madden and he told me the same thing, that after the Raiders won the Super Bowl they had a bad season the next year and John said it was because he didn’t get the guys to go back to zero and start over. I could have done more to get the team ready. That being said, we did win the first game on the road (Author’s Note: The Sox won Game #1 in Baltimore 2-1 behind a complete game six-hitter by Hoyt), we just got beat by the world champions.”

Comment

Working...
                              X