Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Benetti or not to Benetti: Hijack from MN thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To Benetti or not to Benetti: Hijack from MN thread

    Someone please remind me to cut the sound off from Benetti when they start the Cleveland Series. One more "Magic Number" comment and I'm going to need a double dose of my meds

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post
    Someone please remind me to cut the sound off from Benetti when they start the Cleveland Series. One more "Magic Number" comment and I'm going to need a double dose of my meds
    It must be my advancing age, but he's wearing a bit thin for me. Too much social media stuff, which I don't participate in other than assorted forums. He's a clever man, and quick witted without being vulgar, which is nice.

    I can do without the 'jingle' too, but that's just my opinion. I'm positive someone will be along to chastise me. 😄

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by WSox597 View Post

      It must be my advancing age, but he's wearing a bit thin for me. Too much social media stuff, which I don't participate in other than assorted forums. He's a clever man, and quick witted without being vulgar, which is nice.

      I can do without the 'jingle' too, but that's just my opinion. I'm positive someone will be along to chastise me. 😄
      Like it or not, that social media stuff is how you engage with the next generation of fans. If the telecast wasn't doing anything in the social media space, they would be negligent.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WSox597 View Post



        I can do without the 'jingle' too, but that's just my opinion. I'm positive someone will be along to chastise me. 😄
        The jingle may be part of the contract for their ad because Len Kasper also sings the song with Stone.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

          Like it or not, that social media stuff is how you engage with the next generation of fans. If the telecast wasn't doing anything in the social media space, they would be negligent.
          Oh, I know it's huge. I've never had a FB, IG or Twitter account, but I go on a LOT of forums besides this one. For any interest one may have, a forum exists for it.

          I have a smart phone, but use it more for music, reading, and as a camera. I have followed links over the years to FB and Twitter, but have no need for an account.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WSox597 View Post

            It must be my advancing age, but he's wearing a bit thin for me. Too much social media stuff, which I don't participate in other than assorted forums. He's a clever man, and quick witted without being vulgar, which is nice.

            I can do without the 'jingle' too, but that's just my opinion. I'm positive someone will be along to chastise me. 😄
            He's just irritating to me. He asks Stone so many inane questions and it is annoying. And some of the same questions get asked in virtually every game. Like the 3-0 count. Hey Stoney, do you give him the green light? Then there is the endless debate about whether the batter should have bunted the runner to 3rd or not.

            This act, to me, is really getting stale. Its like the cartoon with Spike, the big dog, walking slowly down the street and the little dog constantly yipping questions at him as he walks. "hey Spike, hey Spike" what do you want to do? Hey Spike..

            To me, Stone deserves a lot of credit for handling this non-stop yapping with grace and tolerance. I really miss Hawk I guess

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

              He's just irritating to me. He asks Stone so many inane questions and it is annoying. And some of the same questions get asked in virtually every game. Like the 3-0 count. Hey Stoney, do you give him the green light? Then there is the endless debate about whether the batter should have bunted the runner to 3rd or not.

              This act, to me, is really getting stale. Its like the cartoon with Spike, the big dog, walking slowly down the street and the little dog constantly yipping questions at him as he walks. "hey Spike, hey Spike" what do you want to do? Hey Spike..

              To me, Stone deserves a lot of credit for handling this non-stop yapping with grace and tolerance. I really miss Hawk I guess
              Tolerance? You really don't know about the hiring process that went down, do you? When they were interviewing broadcasters to share Hawk's duties, Stone knew the Sox had their guy when he sat down with Benetti. It could even be argued that Benetti has been Stone's favorite broadcaster he's worked with regularly, including Harry Caray. He never had a good relationship with Hawk, but he loves Benetti. If he's merely tolerating how Benetti handles the broadcasts, this is the first I'm hearing of it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

                He's just irritating to me. He asks Stone so many inane questions and it is annoying. And some of the same questions get asked in virtually every game. Like the 3-0 count. Hey Stoney, do you give him the green light? Then there is the endless debate about whether the batter should have bunted the runner to 3rd or not.

                This act, to me, is really getting stale. Its like the cartoon with Spike, the big dog, walking slowly down the street and the little dog constantly yipping questions at him as he walks. "hey Spike, hey Spike" what do you want to do? Hey Spike..

                To me, Stone deserves a lot of credit for handling this non-stop yapping with grace and tolerance. I really miss Hawk I guess
                Get with it Grandpa. Dontcha know the air time isn’t free and every single millisecond has to be filled with whatever dribble to fill it. Like the Spike analogy. Fits a lot of broadcast teams these days. Admit it, you’re jaded and still stuck in the Gillette razor and White Owl days when all you heard was the Count, the Score, tapping typewriters, and the reaction of the crowd BEFORE the description hit your ears. Now between and during pitches you ca get someone’s Life story, stats and whatever anecdote to fill an at bat. How else could Rex Hudler make a living.

                BK59

                Comment


                • #9
                  It looks like the Magic Number Countdown thread has been hijacked into a Jason Benetti bashing thread.

                  Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

                  Tolerance? You really don't know about the hiring process that went down, do you? When they were interviewing broadcasters to share Hawk's duties, Stone knew the Sox had their guy when he sat down with Benetti. It could even be argued that Benetti has been Stone's favorite broadcaster he's worked with regularly, including Harry Caray. He never had a good relationship with Hawk, but he loves Benetti. If he's merely tolerating how Benetti handles the broadcasts, this is the first I'm hearing of it.
                  Absolutely this.

                  Originally posted by Paulwny View Post

                  The jingle may be part of the contract for their ad because Len Kasper also sings the song with Stone.
                  May? I'd be shocked if it wasn't.
                  White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A lot of the ads, jingles, etc. they sprinkle in the telecast pay the bills to allow us to watch and tune in into the games.

                    The social media stuff is all about expanding the market to the younger set to keep them away from Opioids, I mean the Cubs. It's all marketing. I listen when I want to, but watching the game on television does not require me to listen too since I can see what is happening.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Much like how i felt about Hawk, Benetti can be very annoying, but most of the time i'm a fan . the kid knows the game, is highly intelligent, and i know that he wants the White Sox to win as badly as i do . when talking baseball, he has me, but i don't like all the other stuff . i often listen to the radio while watching the broadcast . that being said, i really like the guy . i am a huge fan of Steve Stone . he and Jason Bennetti clearly enjoy each other, and work very well together

                      I also don't get all the social media stuff, and i think that it is the cause of much of our problems in today's society, but that's for another place i suppose . the only thing that i use a computer for is baseball, movies, and books . funny, i thought that i was the only one one muting the singing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                        A lot of the ads, jingles, etc. they sprinkle in the telecast pay the bills to allow us to watch and tune in into the games.

                        The social media stuff is all about expanding the market to the younger set to keep them away from Opioids, I mean the Cubs. It's all marketing. I listen when I want to, but watching the game on television does not require me to listen too since I can see what is happening.
                        I never watch with sound at home. I do in the car because it's easier to follow. I admit I was surprised initially at the number of product placements the announcers are responsible for during the game, but now I just shake my head. It is what it is.
                        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It should be noted that "Jason Benetti is a good broadcaster" is not just a weird opinion that some younger Sox fans have: Jason and Steve routinely get put at or near the top of "best TV broadcast pair" features done by objective third parties, many of which only rarely have other good things to say about the White Sox. And Jason often misses Sox broadcasts because he is called on to do Olympic baseball, college football, and college basketball, or statcast broadcasts of national MLB games. This means that many people within the broadcast industry also consider him to be a very good broadcaster.

                          I'm a big Jason Benetti fan, and I think he brings the best out of Steve Stone as well. With my MLB.tv subscription, I often watch games involving Cleveland, the Twins, and other teams relevant to the Sox playoff chances, and it's gotten to the point where I cannot deal with more low-key broadcast teams like those of Kansas City or Seattle because I am used to Jason filling dead time with stats, jokes, references to TV and music from my youth (Jason is a few years older than me and we clearly watched the same TV shows growing up), etc. I like that Jason is smart, I like that he keeps up with the latest in stats, I like that he does not assume his audience is too dumb to understand these things.

                          It also fills me with pride to know that the guy who does play-by-play for the White Sox is nationally considered to be very good at his job.

                          While I think Steve Stone is an incredibly gifted color man, I also enjoy the dynamic between Jason and Len. There's an edginess to Jason that comes out when he is paired with Len. They're both huge nerds, but Jason is definitely the alpha and he'll needle Len or set Len up for funny situations.
                          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                          -- Thucydides

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

                            Tolerance? You really don't know about the hiring process that went down, do you? When they were interviewing broadcasters to share Hawk's duties, Stone knew the Sox had their guy when he sat down with Benetti. It could even be argued that Benetti has been Stone's favorite broadcaster he's worked with regularly, including Harry Caray. He never had a good relationship with Hawk, but he loves Benetti. If he's merely tolerating how Benetti handles the broadcasts, this is the first I'm hearing of it.
                            Stone had a terrible relationship with Harry, who treated him like ****.
                            If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                              I'm a big Jason Benetti fan, and I think he brings the best out of Steve Stone as well. With my MLB.tv subscription, I often watch games involving Cleveland, the Twins, and other teams relevant to the Sox playoff chances, and it's gotten to the point where I cannot deal with more low-key broadcast teams like those of Kansas City or Seattle because I am used to Jason filling dead time with stats, jokes, references to TV and music from my youth (Jason is a few years older than me and we clearly watched the same TV shows growing up), etc. I like that Jason is smart, I like that he keeps up with the latest in stats, I like that he does not assume his audience is too dumb to understand these things.
                              I think Jason must have listened to a lot of his parents' music, because he has the most encyclopedic knowledge of Boomer rock-n-roll lyrics that I've ever seen from a Millennial. He's not just for young people. I'm an old guy and I like the team of Jason and Steve.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X