*Official* 9/11 Not the Wright Night Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 9/11 Not the Wright Night Postgamer

Lots of things that should have gone our way in those later innings and didn't. Could La Russa have managed them better? Probably, but it's still better than rolling over and dying when you're down big early.

10th game this season the Sox had a lead in the seventh inning or later... and lost.

TEN.

Another wild pitch from Kimbrel proves deadly.

Try to win the series tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      10th game this season the Sox had a lead in the seventh inning or later... and lost.

TEN.
      One of Lip's greatest hits. I'd like to know how this compares to other playoff-bound teams. I know you only care about the Sox and what they do, but without context, you make it seem like the Sox are the only team in baseball that blows late leads.

Comment

Even with Cease's early implosion, it was a nice night at the old ballyard tonight until the head-scratching 10th inning. After Wright did about as well as could be expected of him by only giving up the one run, I told myself that Grandal better walk this off or things are going to end poorly. Leury Garcia has his uses, but batting in a high leverage situation with the game on the line isn't one of them, and the less said about Danny Mendick, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

One of Lip's greatest hits. I'd like to know how this compares to other playoff-bound teams. I know you only care about the Sox and what they do, but without context, you make it seem like the Sox are the only team in baseball that blows late leads.
          All it takes is this bullpen pissing away a game or two in the post season and it's drive home safely for the season.

I suspect you'd agree with me on that statement.

I suspect you'll also agree with me that this much ballyhooed (ya like that word?) bullpen has not lived up to expectations, not...even...close.

And in the end it doesn't matter if you lose by a dozen or come back and lose by a little, a loss is a loss is a loss. No such things as moral victories. Had a chance to gain ground on Houston for the second seed but didn't. 20 games left to get their **** together and get some momentum for the Astros, (who they'll now almost certainly be playing)

And for those wondering why Vaughn didn't pinch hit in the 10th inning (Mendick? Seriously???) Here's the answer from TLR. Seems the Sox have yet another in a seemingly endless string of hurts, aches and injuries:

“It’s hard for him to swing and he can’t run”

Vaughn now has "achy" legs it seems.

Comment

The last three straight Sundays, TLR has had his "spring training" "getaway day" lineup trotted out. They got hammered at Tampa, hammered the Cubs and were shut out by the rancid Royals. If the pattern holds (assuming TLR brings out the same lineup) Maybe they can squeeze out a win for Lynn.

In the last three months since the break the Sox have won a grand total of TWO series against teams with winning records, both were at home vs. Houston and Oakland.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

Here you go, team records when leading going into the 7th inning:

Boston 61-8
              Houston 69-9
              TB 62-8
              LA 70-8
              Atlanta 66-12
              MIL 68-8
              SF 64-8

Comment

“This food is terrible!”

”Agreed! And such small portions.”

I don’t like losing winnable games, either.

But it’s inexplicable to hear complaints that Sox players are getting injured (when leg injuries are up everywhere), and then also hear complaints that TLR is resting players because they are sore.

Nick Madrigal was interviewed recently in the linked story. He said he felt something in his hamstring a couple weeks before he tore it, but decided not to say anything at the time and kept playing through it.

Have we perhaps considered that the Sox believe it is more important to have all their best players as healthy as possible, than it is to have home field advantage in the ALDS? And thus all Sox players have been ordered to report any soreness - no matter how “minor” it may seem?
                Chicago Cubs manager David Ross will return to the dugout Sunday after a 10-day quarantine for a positive COVID-19 test. Meanwhile, Nick Madrigal was in town to meet his new teammates and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

TEN.

Another wild pitch from Kimbrel proves deadly.

Try to win the series tomorrow.
                  In this case, though, they came from way back rather than lead from the beginning. A little different I would think.

Still an annoying game to lose after the big comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by WSox597 View Post
                    In this case, though, they came from way back rather than lead from the beginning. A little different I would think.
                    Yes. There was no post about the Red Sox's much ballyhooed bullpen pissing away a five run lead. Context is everything.

Comment

You can dump on Lip for being the Town Crier, but the proclamations are only based on observational facts. My observations since the All Star break is this team is spinning it’s wheels in the mud. I get the “we’ve got this locked up mentality”and these games are just a Jenga exercise for TLR to finish out the season, but I’d like to see some victories strung together with the anxiety level a little lower, just based on the realization I’m watching a 1st Place team with an 11 game lead. There are those times when, as in last nights game, I see glimpses of greatness when they came back down 5 to go up by 1, but then not be able to hold that lead come crunch time against a quality opponent with our so called lights out Bullpen. Ok, so they pooped the sheets, but Man O McGuillicuddy this team should be able to get a run home in the 10th with their eyes closed, fundamentally this late in the season, with that free double with no outs. To me that’s what 1st place teams take advantage of even if they’re playing the dregs or the Dukes of the league.

I know, long rant, but I’m a Sox fan and I’m expressing a birthright of perpetual prognosticational pissyness precluded by past Palehose performance.

BK59
                      Last edited by BigKlu59; 09-12-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Sox bullpen gave up one earned run in 7 and a third innings last evening (the run off Wright in the 10th is unearned). Sox bullpen kept them in the freakin' game last night.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
                        All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
                        Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

BigKlu:

I am just as frustrated with the failure to drive in the runs needed to win the game last night - not just in the 10th, but several other times as well.

I also acknowledge the fundamental problem: This lineup still is missing multiple starters.

TA - who has won a batting title and nearly won a second one - is out. Engel is out.

Eloy is dinged up from a freak foul ball and for whatever reason - like many other great hitters in the DH era - he’s just not a good hitter when he’s the DH.

Opposing pitchers have figured out how to get Abreu to make lousy contact and GIDP

Leury, Goodwin, and Mendick - despite being capable at times of delivering a timely hit - are not MLB starter quality hitters.

Vaughn and Sheets are promising rookies and at times have excelled, but lack experience against MLB pitching. Romy Gonzalez has even less experience.

These aren’t excuses. They are legitimate reasons.

Robert and Grandal are carrying the offense right now. Moncada is beginning to heat up, too.

When TA returns, Robert can drop lower in the order to be a run producer.

When Engel returns, he’ll improve the OF defense and also allow TLR to mix and match Engel and Goodwin based on matchups.

The Sox aren’t playing with a full lineup. Their starter couldn’t make it out of the second inning. And yet they still took a desperate Red Sox team to extra innings, and they have a chance to win the series today.

Comment

Lost by a run, earned or unearned, but not getting a man home in the 10th was just the weakest sauce this side of West Texas.

Comment

Yoan Moncada’s slash line over the last 28 days (21 games):
                              .351 .457 .468 .924
                              Over the last 7 days (5 games):
                              .353 .522 .529 1.051
                              His overall numbers for the season don’t show it, but he’s peaking at just the right time.

Comment

Working...
                              X