Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hijack on multiple fronts, not about roster moves.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hijack on multiple fronts, not about roster moves.

    Sounds like a repeat of 2000, when in the second half of the season the rotation was in shambles. (Eldred, Parque, Sirotka...Baldwin missed a month and wasn't the same when he came back.)

  • #2
    Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

    The way the season has gone injury wise all we can do is hope, I'd like to see them all healthy at least a week before the playoffs so everyone has their game legs, arms and swings ready to go.
    It's unfortunate that for the Sox to succeed we have to rely on "hope."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      Sounds like a repeat of 2000, when in the second half of the season the rotation was in shambles. (Eldred, Parque, Sirotka...Baldwin missed a month and wasn't the same when he came back.)
      I know it sucks that they've picked this time to start dropping like flies, but there's nothing that can be done about it. Injuries are part of baseball, and sometimes, the season simply comes down to a matter of luck. If that's the case this season, so be it. We can rant and rave about the training staff, player conditioning, improper form, tiring players out from overuse, etc. all we want, but ultimately, these guys aren't trying to hurt themselves. You have to play the hand you're dealt, even if it's a really crappy one at this point.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

        I know it sucks that they've picked this time to start dropping like flies, but there's nothing that can be done about it. Injuries are part of baseball, and sometimes, the season simply comes down to a matter of luck. If that's the case this season, so be it. We can rant and rave about the training staff, player conditioning, improper form, tiring players out from overuse, etc. all we want, but ultimately, these guys aren't trying to hurt themselves. You have to play the hand you're dealt, even if it's a really crappy one at this point.
        The problem seems to be the hand the Sox are dealt is ALWAYS crappy!

        And sorry but you know my thoughts on "luck". "Luck is the residue of design" - Branch Rickey.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

          The problem seems to be the hand the Sox are dealt is ALWAYS crappy!
          It could be worse. You could be dealt a crappy hand for 108 years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
            It could be worse. You could be dealt a crappy hand for 108 years.
            They had a crappy hand for 108 years regarding World Series titles but they did have good stretches.

            The Cubs problem for decades has been poor ownership. Vince Lloyd told me one time he asked P.K. Wrigley (off camera) why the Cubs just couldn't seem to win. Lloyd said Wrigley told him, "We're not interested in winning...we're interested in entertaining..."

            As Shakespeare once wrote, "Therein lies the rub..."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

              They had a crappy hand for 108 years regarding World Series titles but they did have good stretches.

              The Cubs problem for decades has been poor ownership. Vince Lloyd told me one time he asked P.K. Wrigley (off camera) why the Cubs just couldn't seem to win. Lloyd said Wrigley told him, "We're not interested in winning...we're interested in entertaining..."

              As Shakespeare once wrote, "Therein lies the rub..."
              Well, they've certainly knocked that philosophy out of the park throughout their history.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

                Well, they've certainly knocked that philosophy out of the park throughout their history.
                Thomas: As much as we deservedly make fun of the Cubs let's not get all high and mighty.

                In 119 years as a recognized franchise only three World Series titles (1906, 1917, 2005) and they are the only one of the original 16 franchises to have never made the post season in consecutive years.

                Hopefully that embarrassing stat ends in about three weeks...but it's not over yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

                  I know it sucks that they've picked this time to start dropping like flies, but there's nothing that can be done about it. Injuries are part of baseball, and sometimes, the season simply comes down to a matter of luck. If that's the case this season, so be it. We can rant and rave about the training staff, player conditioning, improper form, tiring players out from overuse, etc. all we want, but ultimately, these guys aren't trying to hurt themselves. You have to play the hand you're dealt, even if it's a really crappy one at this point.
                  Well said. Overall the guys have fought hard all year, minor league call ups/scrap heap signings have contributed (Sheets, Burger, Zavala, Hamilton, Goodwin), LaRussa has done a good job with the cards he's been dealt- our starting pitching is going down almost exactly at the point Eloy, Robert and Grandal returned. The ranting and raving about "corpseball" and someone giving a "Win One for the Gipper" speech in the locker room are misplaced- injuries are up across MLB- and we have definitely had more than our fair share.

                  The silver lining in all of this is that other than injuries- the healthy players are performing well (excluding Hernandez at 2nd, and Vaughn).
                  #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

                    Well said. Overall the guys have fought hard all year, minor league call ups/scrap heap signings have contributed (Sheets, Burger, Zavala, Hamilton, Goodwin), LaRussa has done a good job with the cards he's been dealt- our starting pitching is going down almost exactly at the point Eloy, Robert and Grandal returned. The ranting and raving about "corpseball" and someone giving a "Win One for the Gipper" speech in the locker room are misplaced- injuries are up across MLB- and we have definitely had more than our fair share.

                    The silver lining in all of this is that other than injuries- the healthy players are performing well (excluding Hernandez at 2nd, and Vaughn).
                    Interesting. You don't think a manager reading the riot act to a team is apparently worthless. I've interviewed a bunch of managers, including Tony and they'd disagree with you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

                      Interesting. You don't think a manager reading the riot act to a team is apparently worthless. I've interviewed a bunch of managers, including Tony and they'd disagree with you.
                      Not saying it's worthless- my opinion is that it's not what's needed in this specific situation. We're playing short handed and I don't think the slumps of Vaughn, Eloy and Hernandez are fixed by "ranting and raving".
                      #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

                        Well said. Overall the guys have fought hard all year, minor league call ups/scrap heap signings have contributed (Sheets, Burger, Zavala, Hamilton, Goodwin), LaRussa has done a good job with the cards he's been dealt- our starting pitching is going down almost exactly at the point Eloy, Robert and Grandal returned. The ranting and raving about "corpseball" and someone giving a "Win One for the Gipper" speech in the locker room are misplaced- injuries are up across MLB- and we have definitely had more than our fair share.

                        The silver lining in all of this is that other than injuries- the healthy players are performing well (excluding Hernandez at 2nd, and Vaughn).
                        All I know is that now it is TONY TIME. All of the injuries and call-ups, etc. have gotten this team to a 10 game division lead so they are in the play-offs. But nothing matters now except for the team to get their heads on straight for what is ahead. I don't want to hear any bull**** about, "well, we had a good season" or "well we won our first series" or "we're young and we will be back". Nope, that **** won't get it with me. Reinny picked LaRussa up for exactly this reason. Now, I and many others hated that reason but it was made. So, however does it, he has to get the White Sox team and focus their attention on what is ahead. he's certainly done it before but very few if any of his players have been through this. I don't count the silly season of last year BTW.

                        With me, it is NO EXCUSES. Hahn got the talent. Its here and obvious. Now this is up to TONY BLEEPING LARUSSA!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

                          Not saying it's worthless- my opinion is that it's not what's needed in this specific situation. We're playing short handed and I don't think the slumps of Vaughn, Eloy and Hernandez are fixed by "ranting and raving".
                          I don't think anyone mentioned "ranting or raving". And all teams have had injuries and playing short handed. But I do not see a team out there right now that is playing up to its potential and this is professional baseball. When you are paid for a job then you have to produce and this applies to baseball also. It is their job to play together and win games includng their manager and coaches. I see a lot of smiles out there on the field when they are getting their asses beat by an inferior team. Smile and Laugh all you want to in the locker room after you beat the other team's butt. Tony need somekind of come to Jesus meeting with this team and Anderson and company need to pitch in also.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

                            I don't think anyone mentioned "ranting or raving". And all teams have had injuries and playing short handed. But I do not see a team out there right now that is playing up to its potential and this is professional baseball. When you are paid for a job then you have to produce and this applies to baseball also. It is their job to play together and win games includng their manager and coaches. I see a lot of smiles out there on the field when they are getting their asses beat by an inferior team. Smile and Laugh all you want to in the locker room after you beat the other team's butt. Tony need somekind of come to Jesus meeting with this team and Anderson and company need to pitch in also.
                            What is the difference between "reading the riot act" and "ranting and raving"? Semantics.

                            Type in ALL CAPS all you want- a teams performance is never only on the players or only on the manager- it's on both. If Anderson, Rodon, Engel and Giolito don't get healthy- I'm not blaming the outcome on TLR. If TLR mismanages the bullpen or makes important tactical errors- I'm not blaming that on the players.

                            Just for the record- before yesterday's game the White Sox were 7-3 in their last 10 games- I personally don't see a team that needs a manager's intervention at this stage- let's see how they do in Oakland- and go from there. The NYY just lost 2 out of 3 at home (barely avoiding being swept) to the Orioles over the weekend- **** happens.
                            Last edited by StanBahnsen72; 09-06-2021, 02:25 PM.
                            #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

                              Not saying it's worthless- my opinion is that it's not what's needed in this specific situation. We're playing short handed and I don't think the slumps of Vaughn, Eloy and Hernandez are fixed by "ranting and raving".
                              It's not singling out those guys. Story in the Sun-Times today quoting Tony as saying the Sox need to "tighten up" things. Base running mistakes, not following pitching guidelines (Hello...Mr. Perez) were among the things mentioned.

                              That's where the manager steps in and let's them know he's not happy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X