Constructing a playoff roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructing a playoff roster

This morning I decided to look up the playoff roster rules, because they have changed so much in the last few years. Here are some useful links:

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3549
    https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transac...es-eligibility

Basically, you are eligible to be on the playoff roster if at midnight on Aug 31 you are:
    -- on the 40-man roster
    -- on the 60-day IL
    -- you have not been suspended for PEDs in the regular season

Caveat 1: people on the 60-day IL can only play in the playoffs if they spend 60 or more days on the IL.
    Caveat 2: if you are outrighted to the minors after Aug 31, you are no longer eligible to be on the playoff list.

The biggest difference seems to be that the "September Call-Ups" - the 2 extra guys teams get on September - are eligible to be on the playoff roster so long as they were on the 40-man roster.

So which 26 guys do you want to see in the ALDS?
    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
    -- Thucydides

• Lynn
    • Rodon
    • Giolito
    • Cease
    • Lopez
    • Hendriks
    • Kimbrel
    • Tepera
    • Kopech
    • Crochet
    • Bummer
    • Foster

• Abreu
    • Hernandez
    • Anderson
    • Moncada
    • Grandal
    • Jimenez
    • Robert
    • Vaughn

• Garcia
    • Hamilton
    • Goodwin
    • Collins
    • Sheets
    • Engel

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
      • Lynn
      • Rodon
      • Giolito
      • Cease
      • Lopez
      • Hendriks
      • Kimbrel
      • Tepera
      • Kopech
      • Crochet
      • Bummer
      • Foster

• Abreu
      • Hernandez
      • Anderson
      • Moncada
      • Grandal
      • Jimenez
      • Robert
      • Vaughn

• Garcia
      • Hamilton
      • Goodwin
      • Collins
      • Sheets
      • Engel
      I don't think Foster makes the team over both Ruiz and Keuchel. I assume Keuchel gets a spot just based on seniority and respect. But that may depend on what he does over the next month. He needs to find his pinpoint control again, because he's obviously getting rocked . A lot is going to depend on how Marshall looks over the next few weeks also.

As to position players, I think Engel needs to prove he can stay healthy. Right now Goodwin/Vaughn can be the RF platoon or Lamb/Vaughn.

Starting with the locks with most likely in parenthesis:

Giolito, Rodon, Lynn, Cease (Keuchel) = 5
      Hendriks, Kimbrel, Kopech, Crochet, Tapera (Bummer, Marshall, Lopez) = 8

Abreu, Hernandez, TA, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Vaughn (Goodwin, Leury) = 9
      Grandal, (Zavala/Collins) = 2

Leaves two open slots for Bench bats/DH

If healthy Engel gets one of those slots.

That leaves only one slot for 3rd catcher, Burger, Sheets, Hamilton or Lamb. Under those circumstances I think it comes down to Hamilton or Lamb with Hamilton getting the nod. If Engel can't go I assume Lamb and Hamilton are the choices.

If they cut back to 12 pitchers then odd man out is probably one of the three relievers in parenthesis with Marshall being the most likely, IMO. I think Lopez has earned a playoff slot but obviously he could fall off a cliff the final month. In case of injury, Ruiz and Foster are the possible replacements
      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
        I assume Keuchel gets a spot just based on seniority and respect.
        A guy who gets lit up by the AAAA Cubs has no business on a playoff roster regardless of seniority. Keuchel has six starts to show he deserves any respect, or if he is done. Right now I'm not seeing the crafty veteran we had hoped he would be this season. I hope I'm wrong and he still has something left in the tank, but I'm having doubts. It amazes me to say this, but I trust Lopez way more at this stage of the season.

Comment

A guy who gets lit up by the AAAA Cubs has no business on a playoff roster regardless of seniority. Keuchel has six starts to show he deserves any respect, or if he is done. Right now I'm not seeing the crafty veteran we had hoped he would be this season. I hope I'm wrong and he still has something left in the tank, but I'm having doubts. It amazes me to say this, but I trust Lopez way more at this stage of the season.
          I agree with all that, and agree he needs to show a LOT of improvement in the final month. I still think they put him on the roster, but if he doesn't show a lot more I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

I agree with all that, and agree he needs to show a LOT of improvement in the final month. I still think they put him on the roster, but if he doesn't show a lot more I hope I'm wrong.
            I don’t think there’s any reason to have Keuchel on the ALDS roster for a 5-game series. He could make the roster for a 7-game series since there are more innings to cover.

Comment

• Lynn
              • Rodon
              • Giolito
              • Cease
              • Lopez
              • Hendriks
              • Kimbrel
              • Tepera
              • Kopech
              • Crochet
              • Bummer
              • Foster

• Abreu
              • Hernandez
              • Anderson
              • Moncada
              • Grandal
              • Jimenez
              • Robert
              • Vaughn

• Garcia
              • Hamilton
              • Goodwin
              • Collins
              • Sheets
              • Engel
              I think this is it, except Foster’s spot could go to Ruiz or Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                I think this is it, except Foster’s spot could go to Ruiz or Marshall.
                All three of those pitchers would just be taking up the twelfth pitching spot. Things would have to be going horribly bad for any of them to even get into a game. I would hardly even trust any of them in a game where the Sox blew out a playoff team — they are the type of pitchers that let the other team back into the game.

Comment

If the Sox need 12 pitchers in a 5 game series, there won't be a 7 game series to follow.

Comment

Well this is good. At least it won't be unexpected if Keuchel gets left off the playoff roster. He acknowledges he's pitching for a spot this past month and blames it on his lack of control of his 2-seam fastball which he's been grooving too much this season.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ayoff-rotation

Comment

Originally posted by Noneck View Post
                      If the Sox need 12 pitchers in a 5 game series, there won't be a 7 game series to follow.
                      There's a chance that one of our starters just doesn't have it one night, and ends up getting pulled early and it turns into a bullpen game. See Lynn last night, or game 3 last year against Oakland. I think 12 is the right number.

Comment

If we’re going with 12 pitchers, then either Keuchel or Ruiz is being left off. Ruiz isn’t as bad as some make him out to be, but Keuchel at least has previous postseason experience and can induce ground balls/double plays. So I personally would choose Keuchel over Ruiz.

That allows 14 roster spots for position players. Here’s what I would do:

Starting infield: Moncada, TA, Hernandez, Abreu, Grandal

Starting outfield: Eloy, Robert, Vaughn

DH: Sheets

Bench: Collins, Leury, Engel, Hamilton, Goodwin

Yes, this means Lamb is the odd man out. But I have more confidence that against RHP, Sheets can deliver the big hit.

Against a LH starter, Engel starts in RF and either Eloy or Vaughn moves to DH.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                          If we’re going with 12 pitchers, then either Keuchel or Ruiz is being left off. Ruiz isn’t as bad as some make him out to be, but Keuchel at least has previous postseason experience and can induce ground balls/double plays. So I personally would choose Keuchel over Ruiz.

That allows 14 roster spots for position players. Here’s what I would do:

Starting infield: Moncada, TA, Hernandez, Abreu, Grandal

Starting outfield: Eloy, Robert, Vaughn

DH: Sheets

Bench: Collins, Leury, Engel, Hamilton, Goodwin

Yes, this means Lamb is the odd man out. But I have more confidence that against RHP, Sheets can deliver the big hit.

Against a LH starter, Engel starts in RF and either Eloy or Vaughn moves to DH.
                          Against a RH starter, I have more confidence in Engel than Sheets. And Engel comes with plus defense and speed. So I really think as long as Engel is healthy, he should be starting in RF.

Good point on Keuchel vs Ruiz. I think that spot, as well as Sheets vs. Lamb, will be determined based on how they perform over the next month.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                            Against a RH starter, I have more confidence in Engel than Sheets. And Engel comes with plus defense and speed. So I really think as long as Engel is healthy, he should be starting in RF.
                            I completely understand that line of thinking. The problem is that both Eloy and Vaughn - in admittedly small samples - are terrible as the DH. So yes, we’re likely to get decent RF production and great defense from Engel, but then DH is a hole.

The only two players on the Sox 40 man roster who have shown any proclivity for DHing are Sheets and Mercedes. And Mercedes was exploited once opposing pitchers learned he both couldn’t hit premium velocity and would swing and miss at breaking balls in the dirt.

Actually, this might be our best bet:

V. RHP: Sheets as DH; Goodwin in RF
                            V. LHP: Vaughn as DH; Engel in RF

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I completely understand that line of thinking. The problem is that both Eloy and Vaughn - in admittedly small samples - are terrible as the DH. So yes, we’re likely to get decent RF production and great defense from Engel, but then DH is a hole.

The only two players on the Sox 40 man roster who have shown any proclivity for DHing are Sheets and Mercedes. And Mercedes was exploited once opposing pitchers learned he both couldn’t hit premium velocity and would swing and miss at breaking balls in the dirt.

Actually, this might be our best bet:

V. RHP: Sheets as DH; Goodwin in RF
                              V. LHP: Vaughn as DH; Engel in RF
                              Barring any kind of extenuating circumstances I expect the following 8 players to start every single playoff game regardless of who the opposing pitcher is.

TA
                              Robert
                              Abreu
                              Eloy
                              Grandal
                              Moncada
                              Vaughn
                              Hernandez

The 9th slot is the only one up for grabs. What position these 8 players play maybe determined by other factors, but I don't want Vaughn or Eloy sitting for Sheets, period.

Comment

Working...
                              X