No announcement yet.

*OFFICIAL* 8-16-21 Robert Earns A’s for Speed and Power; SOX 5 OAK 2 Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 8-16-21 Robert Earns A’s for Speed and Power; SOX 5 OAK 2 Postgamer

Hendriks gets the save. Nice to see the bullpen get the job done.

The pitching got out of jams, and there was some timely offense. Can't ask for anything more.

Comment

White Sox magic number

"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
      -- Thucydides

Comment

That's more like it . the Sox looked very good against a very good team . a very good sign.

Comment

Given the pitching matchup tomorrow this is a very big win. Hopefully Lopez continues to stay hot. Kopech looked great. Not overly impressed with our 2 closers...they still looked off even though the results were good. In the end that's all that matters so can't complain too much. I know Hendriks struck out the side but despite what Stone was saying his slider still wasn't over for a strike most of the time and he got a few favorable calls. I know its nitpicking but given how he's been lately I'm just concerned. Hopefully a good confidence boost for him though.
          Last edited by shingo10; 08-16-2021, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Not the game-winning RBI, but beautiful squeeze by Zavala. You have to know with a RHP on the mound that that ball has to be bunted towards first, and he did a great job of catching the ball with the bat and pushing it towards first. Zavala definitely making the case for being the backup when Grandal comes back (probably the last week of August).

Nice 3-for-4 night for Robert. Has hit safely in 5 of the 6 games he's played since he came back, and for the season, has only failed to reach base 3 times. Has a hit in 25 of 31 games played this year.

Really think we need to win 3 of these 4.
            I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Indians lose in 10 innings to the Twins. New White Sox magic number:

"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
              -- Thucydides

Comment

Cleveland loses in extras (they had turned a 5-2 double play with the bases loaded and no outs, but Polanco hits a GW single), so the magic number is now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	St-Louis-Cardinals-v-Chicago-White-Sox-2d2071ca811a7a0f1265815873ba2182.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	42488
                I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Nice team win. 10 hits but the only XBH was Robert's HR. 3 SB including Hernandez. His first in a long time which I don't understand because he's got great speed obviously, but Cleveland apparently took away his green light. Hope he gets it back. Grinding out runs. Grinding out wins and the bullpen WOW! That's what we asked for though the double from Kimbrel was obviously scary. Hope he can figure it out and be less scary going forward. Nice to see Kopech settle down and do that two inning thing we want from him. Saves everyone else for tomorrow.

Needed that now let's keep it going and maybe add in a long ball or two. Missed a bunch of cookies tonight.

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post
                    Given the pitching matchup tomorrow this is a very big win. Hopefully Lopez continues to stay hot. Kopech looked great. Not overly impressed with our 2 closers...they still looked off even though the results were good. In the end that's all that matters so can't complain too much. I know Hendriks struck out the side but despite what Stone was saying his slider still wasn't over for a strike most of the time and he got a few favorable calls. I know its nitpicking but given how he's been lately I'm just concerned. Hopefully a good confidence boost for him though.
                    Hendriks has to throw that slider and it doesn't have to be over the plate, it just has to look like it might be. If he's all fastball, it can go a long way. His heat doesn't move like Kopech's does.

This game was more like normal for 2021 and I like normal. Those Yankees games were taking me back to the late 1950's; hopping ball park, our guys fighting their behinds off, and ending up losing to the evil empire before another restless night tossing around the bed.

Sleep good, y'all.
                    If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

That was a solid win. Keuchel hasn't been pitching terribly, I think he allowed only three runs a game in his last few starts but they simply weren't scoring him any runs.

Tonight they finally did.

Sox may have gotten a big break from the umpire on the check swing call to Olsen in the 2nd inning with the bases load, two runs in and two out.

And for one of the few times this season it seems, the bullpen lined up and did what each pitcher was supposed to do.

A good start to what figures to be a tough series.

Zavala continues to impress, loved the squeeze bunt, perfect. Execution wins games. I'm more and more convinced he's the Sox back up catcher next year, more time is needed to solidify that impression but so far he's doing the job.

Sox now 2-2 running the "gauntlet..." If they can go 7-7 during this stretch no one should have any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                        Sox now 2-2 running the "gauntlet..." If they can go 7-7 during this stretch no one should have any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post
                          The 2 closers who both struck out the side still looked off and were not impressive? Ok.....

Comment

I know it's easier to say after a performance like this, but I continue to think Kimbrel and Hendriks are going to be just fine. They have too much talent, too much history of success, and stuff that is too good for them to continue to struggle like they have the past couple weeks. I'm glad La Russa didn't overreact and make any major changes to their roles - that could have rubbed Hendriks the wrong way to get demoted.

Hendriks mentioned after the game that he was tipping his fastball against the Yankees. Hopefully that's all it was, and he has corrected it. He had that problem in the playoffs last year as well (Grandal told him about it once he came over).

Comment

I was at the game.

Excellent game to witness in person.

Kopech is a ****ing beast. He had the hitters off balance like a high-wire act in a hurricane.

Comment

Working...
                              X