Interesting Column...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Column...

I can't figure out if the writer is praising the Sox or condemning the Cubs:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-...n-classic-2021

Lip, I'd say a little bit of both.
    I don't know that much about Ricketts but what I've learned the last few years is that he is on his way to being as unpopular with Cub fans as JR was with Sox fans after the 1994 strike. I didn't think that in my lifetime I'd ever see Chicago become a Sox town again but I would say now there might be a bit of a chance.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-06-2021, 08:15 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Here’s how I see it and I may be wrong. But this wreaks of actually wanting to win from an entitlement standpoint. The idea that the south side doesn’t deserve to have popularity from winning like the north side does. It’s a bit condescending in my opinion. They should be grateful that Ricketts bought the team and actually tried to win for half a decade. It’s been their most successful stretch in history and they want more. They feel like they deserve more. Baseball is a fickle beast and has a way of humbling even the most entitled teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Cubs. God knows we have seen our team struggle.
      I just hope we can avoid more injuries and reload the farm system over the next couple years.

Comment

The entitlement attitude runs deep, and they learn it early. Before 2016 I saw a 12 year old kid whining about "It's been so LONG since we won!"

Right, kid, I have socks older than you.

Comment

Originally posted by WSox597 View Post
          The entitlement attitude runs deep, and they learn it early. Before 2016 I saw a 12 year old kid whining about "It's been so LONG since we won!"

Right, kid, I have socks older than you.
          Don’t forget to tip the waiter, we’ll be here all week. Nice one WSox.

Comment

He's telling Cubs fans "how 'bout them Bears?"

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
              I don't know that much about Ricketts but what I've learned the last few years is that he is on his way to being as unpopular with Cub fans as JR was with Sox fans after the 1994 strike. I didn't think that in my lifetime I'd ever see Chicago become a Sox town again but I would say now there might be a bit of a chance.
              Agree, but it was a pissy pants tongue in cheek article mixed with Cub angst, not a coronation for the Southsiders. Reeks of the Sox defaulting into it through Cubbie misfortune.

I, like you, do enjoy this opportunity to take over the town and finally get past all the smoke and mirrors used on the Northside to bark the proletariat into the Ivy covered open air saloon.

BK59

Comment

We stayed at the Hotel Zachary two nights for my niece's wedding in June. The Sunday after the wedding, we took the Red Line for Sox v. Seattle.

Wearing our Sox gear that morning in stunningly blue Wrigleyville, one wily old timer gave us a wink as we walked by. "You folks lost?" We said, no, we're heading for the winning side of town right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
                  Ricketts is way worse. At least Reinsdorf didn’t prematurely break up the 2005 team. Sure, the 2007 season did that all by itself, but by 2008, they were back in the playoffs with many of the same familiar faces from 2005.

Everybody knew that Maddon had one foot out the door for LA before 2019 even started. When Ross was brought on, I figured they would take 2 last shots with the core in 2020 and 2021 and wanted someone managing who wouldn’t make waves. Unbeknownst to them, Ricketts had other ideas. He really only needed the single championship to turn a massive profit, and now that he has it, he isn’t particularly worried about winning another one.

I think that is what prompted Theo to leave; he knew Ricketts was turning off the cash, and he didn’t want the spilled blood from the “dynasty” sacrifice on his hands. He saw this coming a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                    He's telling Cubs fans "how 'bout them Bears?"
                    I’m starting to get to the point where I honestly wouldn’t mind the Bears moving to Arlington Heights and a new NFL team moving into Soldier Field, because that entire operation is clueless as well.

Perhaps the old adage is true: ”A Bear ain’t nuthin’ but a grown-up Cub.”

Comment

Nice Metaphor there Mahoney. If that’s not walking away from the slots or the table after hitting the big one I don’t know how else to put it. Make one last bet for face, then head to the buffet.

That’s the maddening thing about the game. Baseball people wanting to win in the organization and the ownership more concerned about the bottom line and turnstile twists.

BK59

Comment

I believe I have heard that ricketts has spent close a billion dollars on the park and surrounding area. The cubs have had high payrolls for many years. Reinsdorf has had low payrolls for a long time and spends nothing (we do) on the park. I dont know what ricketts has in mind for the future but do know he has spendt massive amounts of his own money, reinsdorf has not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

I’m starting to get to the point where I honestly wouldn’t mind the Bears moving to Arlington Heights and a new NFL team moving into Soldier Field, because that entire operation is clueless as well.

Perhaps the old adage is true: ”A Bear ain’t nuthin’ but a grown-up Cub.”
                          Bears will draw anywhere they move. Their problem is they went from always first to table with innovation, to straggling to catch up offensively since the 50’s. Emphasis has always been on the Defense as the teams calling card, but as the game has taken away bit by bit of Neanderthal oppression, they have to patty cake the opposition clawless.

Throw in years of a “one off” offense IE RB, WR + No QB, QB, RB + No WR, QB, RB, + No O-Line, No WR….and a predictable offense as the sun rises and sets. They always show up to gunfights with a pea shooter. That’s why 85 was such a stunning season in my mind. The defence gets a lot of well due attention, but that team’s offense did catch up to the league with some league leading numbers and when they did fall in a hole were able to come back and put up the points without having to do it in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.

Chicago teams have been cursed with Management happy to dole out bits and pieces of joy to their faithful since I’ve been on this orb. Seems they run out the string till the barbarians are at the wall before they catapult cows and chickens and cake to the mob.

BK59

Comment

Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

Bears will draw anywhere they move. Their problem is they went from always first to table with innovation, to straggling to catch up offensively since the 50’s. Emphasis has always been on the Defense as the teams calling card, but as the game has taken away bit by bit of Neanderthal oppression, they have to patty cake the opposition clawless.

Throw in years of a “one off” offense IE RB, WR + No QB, QB, RB + No WR, QB, RB, + No O-Line, No WR….and a predictable offense as the sun rises and sets. They always show up to gunfights with a pea shooter. That’s why 85 was such a stunning season in my mind. The defence gets a lot of well due attention, but that team’s offense did catch up to the league with some league leading numbers and when they did fall in a hole were able to come back and put up the points without having to do it in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.

Chicago teams have been cursed with Management happy to dole out bits and pieces of joy to their faithful since I’ve been on this orb. Seems they run out the string till the barbarians are at the wall before they catapult cows and chickens and cake to the mob.

BK59
                            I must have missed all those “QB” years from the Bears

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

I must have missed all those “QB” years from the Bears
                              You know, that scarecrow they used to plant behind the center. Not to say they didn’t have players that went on to success with other teams. Take a look at some of the QB’s Halas had in the stable. For whatever reason went on to greener pastures with other offenses.

You’re right though…. Since I’ve been following them can maybe count 3 digits on my hand that would pass muster. Put them out in the field and have to Medivac them after 50 snaps. I’m surprised there isn’t a monument outside the stadium with names of the fallen and forgotten.

BK59

Comment

Working...
                              X