*Official* 7/28 Royal Pain Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 7/28 Royal Pain Postgamer

Nothing worse than your All-Star closer getting tagged by an All-Star catcher and then losing it in extras.

How many games has the bullpen blown in the seventh inning or later now, Lip?

Not winning many 2-1 games. The offense has got to get going. If that means Hahn has to make a trade, then make a trade.
    but our offense has been miserably bad lately. Garcia, Zavala, Mendick don’t belong on a big league roster, Ryan Burr needs to never pitch again for us and Moncada and Abreu need to earn their paychecks. Time to step it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Domeshot17 View Post
      Not winning many 2-1 games. The offense has got to get going. If that means Hahn has to make a trade, then make a trade.
      but our offense has been miserably bad lately. Garcia, Zavala, Mendick don’t belong on a big league roster, Ryan Burr needs to never pitch again for us and Moncada and Abreu need to earn their paychecks. Time to step it up.
      Garcia and Mendick produced our runs and Burr gave up a single. It's the top of the order that's in a funk and Abreu leads the pack in that funk. He can't catch up to mid-90 fastballs. The game left a bad taste in my mouth.
      If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Domeshot17 View Post
        The killer is that this rotation is tailor-made for those 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 victories. But a middling bullpen and 3 lineup spots filled with tightly-wrapped coils of dook proved to be too difficult to overcome tonight.

Comment

8th game this year the Sox lost when leading in the 7th inning or later. Seven have been directly attributed to the bullpen. Hendriks by the way has now blown five save chances.

Offense is still brutal against mediocre/terrible pitching since the Minnesota series. I think the top of the order was 1-19.

Teams are making deals all over the league, Rick Hahn continues to patiently wait by the phone (or wait for JR to allow him to do something...)

I never like to see the Sox lose but it bothers me a hell of a lot more when they lose to trash teams like the Royals.

We'll see if the Sox can get the split tomorrow and if Hahn is actually awake and not comatose.

Comment

Originally posted by berwyn View Post

Garcia and Mendick produced our runs and Burr gave up a single. It's the top of the order that's in a funk and Abreu leads the pack in that funk. He can't catch up to mid-90 fastballs. The game left a bad taste in my mouth.
            Yeah, Singley Leury got his obligatory well-distributed single that makes people think he’s not completely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
              8th game this year the Sox lost when leading in the 7th inning or later. Seven have been directly attributed to the bullpen. Hendriks by the way has now blown five save chances.

Offense is still brutal against mediocre/terrible pitching since the Minnesota series. I think the top of the order was 1-19.

Teams are making deals all over the league, Rick Hahn continues to patiently wait by the phone (or wait for JR to allow him to do something...)

I never like to see the Sox lose but it bothers me a hell of a lot more when they lose to trash teams like the Royals.

We'll see if the Sox can get the split tomorrow and if Hahn is actually awake and not comatose.
              Blown saves = trash stat.

Liam Hendriks = awesome.

Blame the fact that Leury, Mendick, Goodwin, and Zavala went a combined 2-10 with 2 total bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

Blown saves = trash stat.

Liam Hendriks = awesome.

Blame the fact that Leury, Mendick, Goodwin, and Zavala went a combined 2-10 with 2 total bases.

Blown saves = Trash stat

In your opinion not mine. (when you give up a game tying home run again late in a winnable game that should be noted)

And it looks like you better get used to those guys seeing playing time, no indications yet Hahn is going to do anything but make excuses Friday why the Sox with "financial flexibility" couldn't (wouldn't) pull the trigger and get help. But we'll see...maybe a miracle will take place.

Also Eloy was removed because of what they are calling "right groin tightness."

Comment

Originally posted by berwyn View Post
                  It's the top of the order that's in a funk and Abreu leads the pack in that funk. He can't catch up to mid-90 fastballs.
                  You're being generous. Abreu's strikeout in the 9th was on a Greg Holland full-count 91 MPH fastball down the middle thigh-high.

“It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Blown saves = Trash stat

In your opinion not mine. (when you give up a game tying home run again late in a winnable game that should be noted)

And it looks like you better get used to those guys seeing playing time, no indications yet Hahn is going to do anything but make excuses Friday why the Sox with "financial flexibility" couldn't (wouldn't) pull the trigger and get help. But we'll see...maybe a miracle will take place.

Also Eloy was removed because of what they are calling "right groin tightness."
                    I can come into a game with 2 out, the bases loaded, runner on 3rd, strike the guy out, have the pitch get away from my catcher, and end up blowing the save.

Any stat that can make a guy look bad even when he does his job is a trash stat by default. “Opinion” isn’t even a factor at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

I can come into a game with 2 out, the bases loaded, runner on 3rd, strike the guy out, have the pitch get away from my catcher, and end up blowing the save.

Any stat that can make a guy look bad even when he does his job is a trash stat by default. “Opinion” isn’t even a factor at that point.
                      Giving up a home run (and Hendriks now has allowed more this year than the previous two seasons combined) is directly the fault of the pitcher. There has to be some way to hold them accountable, it's not completely fair, you are correct, but it is the best we've got right now.

Comment

Giving up a home run (and Hendriks now has allowed more this year than the previous two seasons combined) is directly the fault of the pitcher. There has to be some way to hold them accountable, it's not completely fair, you are correct, but it is the best we've got right now.
                        Hate to break it to you, but not every closer, not even Mariano Rivera, can be 2008 Brad Lidge.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

Hate to break it to you, but not every closer, not even Mariano Rivera, can be 2008 Brad Lidge.
                          Thomas: Hate to break it to you but the Sox are playing with fire if they think this bullpen as currently constructed has a good chance to survive come October. Nobody is asking for perfection...but they can do a hell of a lot better than this wouldn't you think?

I remember reading by the way, one of those Twins teams of the mid 00's had a year where they only blew three games after the 7th inning. That was damn impressive... so perfect no, but damn close can happen.

Comment

Thomas: Hate to break it to you but the Sox are playing with fire if they think this bullpen as currently constructed has a good chance to survive come October. Nobody is asking for perfection...but they can do a hell of a lot better than this wouldn't you think?

I remember reading by the way, one of those Twins teams of the mid 00's had a year where they only blew three games after the 7th inning. That was damn impressive... so perfect no, but damn close can happen.
                            And those 2000s Twins teams won...*checks notes*...one playoff series.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

Screw that. Can one of them be 2005 Brad Lidge?

Comment

Working...
                              X