*OFFICIAL* 7/26/21 Hitters Can’t Solve Minor Problem KC 4 SOX 3 Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 7/26/21 Hitters Can’t Solve Minor Problem KC 4 SOX 3 Postgamer

Once again a home plate umpire has an arbitrary anti-Sox double standard.

At least Moncada and Engel made it interesting.

Eloy is back, but the offensive woes continue. Get 'em tomorrow.

Comment

Another game awarded to the Sox opponents by the home plate umpire.

Comment

It's amazing the Sox have won as many as they have considering the uphill battle they have to fight against the home plate umpire virtually every game.

Comment

Well that was a kick in the family jewels. Can’t keep losing to these rib bone suckers. They’ve run off 6 straight and getting a case helium head and puffy chest syndrome. Sucked even more Soler went deep twice on them after being persona non grata for the first half of the season. Get these bums tomorrow.

BK59

Comment

I understand the issues with home plate umpiring but frankly there's nothing anybody can do about it. Robot umps aren't coming tomorrow.

The Sox haven't played good baseball for a week now starting with the Twins series, umpires may have some impact with that but not as much as some are making in my opinion.

In the previous seven games Minor's ERA was close to eight. Tonight he shuts down the Sox, that's not on the umpires, that's on the Sox.

Every team goes through slumps and this may be the Sox time, they have a nice lead in the division at least but sooner rather than later they need to get out of these doldrums

And as Giolito said last week it's going to take time for the injured guys to get up to speed and you don't know how well they'll produce at least at first.

We'll see what happens tomorrow but since Monday they've scored a total of 26 runs in eight games, nine of those coming in one game and in six of the eight games they'd scored three runs or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
              I understand the issues with home plate umpiring but frankly there's nothing anybody can do about it. Robot umps aren't coming tomorrow.

The Sox haven't played good baseball for a week now starting with the Twins series, umpires may have some impact with that but not as much as some are making in my opinion.
              This is why unless it's blatantly obvious, I've never been a fan of jumping all over officials for every little thing in any sport. It sucks how people who are so bad at their jobs fill some of those positions at that level, but like you said, nothing can be done to change that. You just have to play your game. The best teams always overcome adversity. Otherwise, you're just making excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
                This is why unless it's blatantly obvious, I've never been a fan of jumping all over officials for every little thing in any sport. It sucks how people who are so bad at their jobs fill some of those positions at that level, but like you said, nothing can be done to change that. You just have to play your game. The best teams always overcome adversity. Otherwise, you're just making excuses.
                Well said and agreed. The word is out that if you pitch low and outside and then have the catcher pull it up quickly, either the ump will call it a strike or the Sox will try to pull it and K.
                adjustments need to be made.

Comment

There were some awful calls by the home plate umpire, but at the end of the day you gotta hit a Royals pitcher with a big ERA and the Sox didn't.
                  "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                  -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                    There were some awful calls by the home plate umpire, but at the end of the day you gotta hit a Royals pitcher with a big ERA and the Sox didn't.
                    You have to actually watch the game to see when the bad calls happen in an at bat. The Sox would get better pitches to hit if pitchers had to throw the ball over the plate. As it stands, Sox players are often behind in the count not because they're swinging at crap, but because a pitch off the plate is called a strike. I think you're asking too much to expect Sox batter to cover both sides of the plate, and three inches outside.

It's the same with Sox pitchers. Our relievers wouldn't be getting lit up as much if their pitches over the plate were called strikes. They're often behind in the count not because they missed, but because a pitch over the plate was called a ball. Opposing batters get the benefit of being ahead in the count when they shouldn't be.
                    Last edited by FielderJones; 07-27-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

The Sox consistently have been among the teams most penalized by arbitrary, capricious, incompetent home plate umpiring.

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post

You have to actually watch the game to see when the bad calls happen in an at bat. The Sox would get better pitches to hit if pitchers had to throw the ball over the plate. As it stands, Sox players are often behind in the count not because they're swinging at crap, but because a pitch off the plate is called a strike. I think you're asking too much to expect Sox batter to cover both sides of the plate, and three inches outside.

It's the same with Sox pitchers. Our relievers wouldn't be getting lit up as much if their pitches over the plate were called strikes. They're often behind in the count not because they missed, but because a pitch over the plate was called a ball. Opposing batters get the benefit of being ahead in the count when they shouldn't be.
                        I watched the game until the second Soler HR and I remember one Andrew Vaughn at-bat where a ball way outside was called Strike 1, and then the second pitch was fouled off, and then suddenly Vaughn was in a 0-2 hole and the at-bat was hopeless. No doubt, that one bad call gave the Royals a free out to work with.

But it was against Mike Minor, not Gerrit Cole or even Jose Berrios. You can't just blame the umps.
                        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                        -- Thucydides

Comment

Yes, players have to perform, but it is the responsibility of the umpires - and by extension Major League Baseball - to ensure a level playing field by consistently applying the rules to all teams.

Such a consistently wide disparity in ball/strike calls necessarily brings into question the very integrity of the MLB product itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

In the previous seven games Minor's ERA was close to eight. Tonight he shuts down the Sox, that's not on the umpires, that's on the Sox.

Every team goes through slumps and this may be the Sox time, they have a nice lead in the division at least but sooner rather than later they need to get out of these doldrums

And as Giolito said last week it's going to take time for the injured guys to get up to speed and you don't know how well they'll produce at least at first.

We'll see what happens tomorrow but since Monday they've scored a total of 26 runs in eight games, nine of those coming in one game and in six of the eight games they'd scored three runs or less.
                            This is exactly right. Regardless, of the umps, the Sox have to "wake up" and get back on track. I don't know what the answer is but hopefully TLR can get them going again soon.

Additionally, we got to be smarter. Soler has not been hitting but got hot of recent. Stone says Soler has trouble with sliders so Keuchel puts two pitches (one cutter?) over the plate.

Comment

Other than Vaughn and Moncada- NO ONE is hitting over the past 7 games, with Collins, Garcia, Zavala, Sheets, Anderson and Goodwin < .200. Really need Anderson to get back on track at the top of the order.

Comment

Working...
                              X