*Official* 7/23 Yes, Lip, We Need Relievers Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 7/23 Yes, Lip, We Need Relievers Postgamer

The offense didn't help matters, but man, is this really the bullpen they want to have going forward? Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

Couple things....
    1. This may be the game that helps them find Pen help.
    2. What got into TA? That was NOT like him at all
    3. Can NOT complain about umps behind the plate (and yes as Stone said: He had a bad night) when you throw pitches no where close to the zone for so long. Have to throw strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by 34rancher View Post
      Couple things....
      1. This may be the game that helps them find Pen help.
      2. What got into TA? That was NOT like him at all
      3. Can NOT complain about umps behind the plate (and yes as Stone said: He had a bad night) when you throw pitches no where close to the zone for so long. Have to throw strikes.
      I beg to differ. The dude is more passionate than anyone else on the team. He undoubtedly hates seeing him and his teammates get screwed. La Russa getting tossed probably didn't help him keep a cool head.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

I beg to differ. The dude is more passionate than anyone else on the team. He undoubtedly hates seeing him and his teammates get screwed. La Russa getting tossed probably didn't help him keep a cool head.
        Not like that. TA is usually composed when dealing with the Umps. The closest thing I can compare this to is the movie Hoosiers when the player punches the other team in support of Coach and walks off proud he defended the coach...

Comment

Giolito wasn't sharp tonight but he was able to keep them in the game.

Then the arson squad made their appearance. Good night, drive home safely.

Glad to see Tony get after it.

I'd like to know in the 7th inning if the contact play was on when Collins broke for home or if he did that on his own, seemed to be a big play in the game.

The Indians lost at least so the lead stays at nine.

But I hope Thomas is right, maybe this is the final straw for Hahn, I don't see how he can think otherwise. He's going to have to make the call even if it means "overpaying" which seems to be a dirty word to some, but when you have World Series asperations in a brutal American League, and the bullpen is this bad, realistically what other choice do you have? It's not like there are studs in the minor leagues you can call up is there? You either bite the bullet and do what is needed regardless, or you take a big chance, and if it doesn't work out in the end ultimately the fan base will crucify you (and with good reason in my opinion)

Maybe better luck tomorrow.
          Last edited by Lipman 1; 07-23-2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Also saw a story tonight at White Sox.com talking about Eloy. TLR said he's getting good reports but is preaching patience with him. He won't be called up until he shows he can play everyday.

Comment

Inconsistent offense and bad bullpen, story of our season when not playing the Al Central. Knew we were sunk when Tim didn’t deliver with a runner in third.

Comment

From DVS story tonight at the Sun-Times. Opening sentence:

"If anything is a given before the trade deadline Friday, it’s that the White Sox will make an addition to their bullpen. There’s room for at least one upgrade in that area. The current bullpen is prepared to be shaken up a bit."

I can only hope DVS is right on the money. I'd love for two guys to be brought in and three wouldn't break my heart either.

Comment

Bullpen was bad, but not going to win many games when you get 5 hits and one guy has 3 of them.
                  Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Fun fact: Tonight the Cleveland bullpen (not yet Guardians, I guess) put up a six-run inning ninth. It broke a 4-4 tie from which Cleveland's American League team could not recover. The good news for Cleveland is that they didn't lose ground to the Tigers. Also actually does have a pretty good bullpen. Meanwhile, the Dodgers and Giants bulllpens aren't having good nights, coming, not against each other, but at home against visiting teams with losing records (although it looks like the Rockies bullpen is going to hand the game back to the Dodgers). That doesn't make the Sox bullpen any less frustrating.

The problem tonight was the Sox bullpen couldn't throw strikes with runners on base, except, of course, for the grand slam. I only counted a leadoff single and a grand slam for hits in the six-run inning. Even Crochet becomes a different pitcher when the comes in the extra inning with the runner on second. Maybe it's a matter of pitchers not being able to work with runners on base, i.e. working out of the stretch or with a slide step. Maybe it's not a coincidence that the bullpen is having a down year under a new pitching coach. It isn't that White Sox relievers don't have good stuff, although the point is moot if you can' throw strikes. The Brewers can bring in all kinds of relievers from the middle innings on, including Strickland who has certainly bounced around.

I don't know what's going on with the bullpen, but I don't think it can be solved with a trade or two, and I would hate to gut the team's feature in an attempt to find out.

Still, Anderson failing to get Collins home from third with one out was the door the Sox left open to give the Mariner's a chance to run away with the game.

Vaughn had a pretty good game. Giolito kept the Sox in the game. Sheets had a good pinch-hitting appearance, but not much else went right for the Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                      Also saw a story tonight at White Sox.com talking about Eloy. TLR said he's getting good reports but is preaching patience with him. He won't be called up until he shows he can play everyday.
                      Rehab assignments are limited to 20 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                        Giolito wasn't sharp tonight but he was able to keep them in the game.

Then the arson squad made their appearance. Good night, drive home safely.

Glad to see Tony get after it.

I'd like to know in the 7th inning if the contact play was on when Collins broke for home or if he did that on his own, seemed to be a big play in the game.

The Indians lost at least so the lead stays at nine.

But I hope Thomas is right, maybe this is the final straw for Hahn, I don't see how he can think otherwise. He's going to have to make the call even if it means "overpaying" which seems to be a dirty word to some, but when you have World Series asperations in a brutal American League, and the bullpen is this bad, realistically what other choice do you have? It's not like there are studs in the minor leagues you can call up is there? You either bite the bullet and do what is needed regardless, or you take a big chance, and if it doesn't work out in the end ultimately the fan base will crucify you (and with good reason in my opinion)

Maybe better luck tomorrow.
                        The play you’re referencing actually was a fortunate break for the Sox. Urias turned an inning-ending double play into only one out at home. He gave the team an extra opportunity to drive in the run, albeit from 2B now instead of 3B.

I guess Anderson beating out the throw on the trailing half of the double play needs to be considered, but don’t you need to attempt it anyway? Is it really a better choice to make that throw home, guaranteeing that the run stays off the board, and rely on your reliever to get that extra out?

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
                          Rehab assignments are limited to 20 days.
                          They can always just wait until he belly-flops or somersaults in LF again and say he aggravated something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

The play you’re referencing actually was a fortunate break for the Sox. Urias turned an inning-ending double play into only one out at home. He gave the team an extra opportunity to drive in the run, albeit from 2B now instead of 3B.

I guess Anderson beating out the throw on the trailing half of the double play needs to be considered, but don’t you need to attempt it anyway? Is it really a better choice to make that throw home, guaranteeing that the run stays off the board, and rely on your reliever to get that extra out?
                            Ball wasn't hit hard enough to get Anderson, I didn't think at the time.

Comment

Never thought Burr was particularly good, still don't. He won't be in high leverage playoff situations anyways (at least I hope). I've been thinking for a week or so that the Sox might need 2 RPs at the deadline just to be safe.

A bright note: Andrew Vaughn is slashing .317/.343/.587 in 18 games in July. He looks like a completely different guy than in April (especially vs righties). He still has 2 more months to get even more used to MLB pitching before Oct. His development so far has been another savvy move by Hahn to choose him over a veteran in the offseason. I can't wait to see this lineup fully intact in the coming weeks/month.

Comment

Working...
                              X