July 23, a significant date in White Sox history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 23, a significant date in White Sox history

On this day in 2009, Mark Buehrle threw a perfect game against the Tampa Bay Rays. The game was preserved by "the catch" from Dewayne Wise.

On this day in 2016, Chris Sale did not want to wear throwback jerseys and cut them up. The move precipitated his eventual trade to Boston for Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech and the start of the rebuild that, it appears, will lead the Sox to their first back-to-back playoff appearances ever.
    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
    -- Thucydides

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
    On this day in 2009, Mark Buehrle threw a perfect game against the Tampa Bay Rays. The game was preserved by "the catch" from Dewayne Wise.

On this day in 2016, Chris Sale did not want to wear throwback jerseys and cut them up. The move precipitated his eventual trade to Boston for Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech and the start of the rebuild that, it appears, will lead the Sox to their first back-to-back playoff appearances ever.
    Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the jersey tantrum was not what caused Boston to give us two scorching hot prospects. I think Sale's performance as Pitcher is what really precipitated the trade.

Sale was getting traded with or without the jersey incident. There was talk leading up to that day that he was good as gone because he had extremely high trade value on a team going nowhere. Before word got out later that evening about the jerseys, there was wild speculation that he was scratched from the game because he had been traded.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
      Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the jersey tantrum was not what caused Boston to give us two scorching hot prospects. I think Sale's performance as Pitcher is what really precipitated the trade.

Sale was getting traded with or without the jersey incident. There was talk leading up to that day that he was good as gone because he had extremely high trade value on a team going nowhere. Before word got out later that evening about the jerseys, there was wild speculation that he was scratched from the game because he had been traded.
      What a fiasco the whole Chris Scissorhands incident was, though it did give Sox fans a chance to blame their favorite organization scapegoats from Hahn to Williams to Reinsdorf to, in one case, Bill Veeck.

Comment

Today was also the day Hawk traded Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
          Today was also the day Hawk traded Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon.
          That was a terrible trade. But then we dealt DeLeon for Lance Johnson, and he worked out pretty well.

Comment

Working...
          X