Potential Trade Targets 2: Deadline Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Trade Targets 2: Deadline Edition

I hope Voodoo doesn’t mind that I’ve started a new thread, as the previous “Potential Trade Targets” thread has exceeded 500 posts.

Lip, Sox Machine’s Jim Margalus, and the evidence, have me coming around to the idea that the bullpen may be our greatest need. As such, I wanted to float - for discussion purposes - a possible trade for Craig Kimbrel.

Kimbrel is signed through 2022. His 2022 salary is $16 million. He would also be owed the remaining $5.333 million for the last two months of 2021.

In 1998, the Sox sent their closer, Matt Karchner, to the Cubs for highly touted prospect Jon Garland.

What might it take to get Kimbrel from the Cubs this year?

Would such a price be worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
      Lip, Sox Machine’s Jim Margalus, and the evidence, have me coming around to the idea that the bullpen may be our greatest need. As such, I wanted to float - for discussion purposes - a possible trade for Craig Kimbrel.

Kimbrel is signed through 2022. His 2022 salary is $16 million. He would also be owed the remaining $5.333 million for the last two months of 2021.

In 1998, the Sox sent their closer, Matt Karchner, to the Cubs for highly touted prospect Jon Garland.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-craig-kimbrel

Here's a recent piece from BleacherReport discussing his trade value. Basically they say he will be one of the highest-demand players on the market. They floated the idea of a return similar to the one that the Yankees got for Chapman from the Cubs. If that's the case, the Sox are going to sit this one out. They don't have those kind of assets.

If the Sox were somehow able to put together a package for Kimbrel, I'd think they might want to turn around and put him back on the trade market in the offseason (after the parade). This front office does not want to invest $34M in two relievers next year. So maybe they could get back some of the prospect value they would lose in the deal by trading him in the offseason?

Comment

I assume the Sox would not be willing to eat the entirety of Kimbrel's contract so would be forced to pay a king's ransom of prospects for him, which they neither should do nor should be willing to do. I'm also not sure Kimbrel and Hendriks egos could coexist.
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

As much as I'd love to get him I don't think the Sox would have the assets needed to pull it off as well as the financial investment in a position where they already have Hendriks. No question though, that would be an ungodly one-two punch. I'm just hoping he doesn't get traded to a team like the Red Sox. Keep him out of the A.L. if possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
            As much as I'd love to get him I don't think the Sox would have the assets needed to pull it off as well as the financial investment in a position where they already have Hendriks. No question though, that would be an ungodly one-two punch. I'm just hoping he doesn't get traded to a team like the Red Sox. Keep him out of the A.L. if possible!
            You are probably right, but it’s fun to think about. Back in 1998, Karchner obviously didn’t have a huge contract like Kimbrel does; Garland was a prized prospect at the time but I don’t know where he ranked among all prospects (did a Top 100 exist back then?) or even within the Cubs system. I recall being excited at the time to have acquired Garland, who obviously took some time to develop but really was a big contributor in 2005 and 2006.

I guess it depends on what the Cubs want. Do they want to compete in 2022 and 2023, and thus want near-ready position player prospects? Or are they looking at a more comprehensive multi-year rebuild, in which they would want to stockpile younger, high upside A-ball pitchers? If it’s the latter our stable of Kelley, Thompson, and Dahlquist provides a place to start discussions at least, with the price depending on how much of Kimbrel’s contract the Sox would take.

Comment

The radio show The Score 670 had a very lively discussion today on the Sox trading Vaughn to the Cubs for Bryant. There was mixed opinions of those on the show. I would be on the side of the argument that says "no way". I can't see a 2+ month rental that doesn't even address our (mine?) wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-craig-kimbrel

Here's a recent piece from BleacherReport discussing his trade value. Basically they say he will be one of the highest-demand players on the market. They floated the idea of a return similar to the one that the Yankees got for Chapman from the Cubs. If that's the case, the Sox are going to sit this one out. They don't have those kind of assets.

If the Sox were somehow able to put together a package for Kimbrel, I'd think they might want to turn around and put him back on the trade market in the offseason (after the parade). This front office does not want to invest $34M in two relievers next year. So maybe they could get back some of the prospect value they would lose in the deal by trading him in the offseason?
                What if it allows Hendriks to go multi-innings as the primary RH setup? Basically, Kimbrel would replace Hendriks, who would replace Kopech, who would boot one of the other guys off the roster entirely. That is a move that pays significant dividends in October. Plus, you know that you can always go to Hendriks for a save if Kimbrel needs a day off.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                  The radio show The Score 670 had a very lively discussion today on the Sox trading Vaughn to the Cubs for Bryant. There was mixed opinions of those on the show. I would be on the side of the argument that says "no way". I can't see a 2+ month rental that doesn't even address our (mine?) wish list.
                  Kris Bryant is not bringing back significant talent; he is bringing back salary relief. Same goes for Baez and Rizzo. Ricketts has dollar signs in his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

What if it allows Hendriks to go multi-innings as the primary RH setup? Basically, Kimbrel would replace Hendriks, who would replace Kopech, who would boot one of the other guys off the roster entirely. That is a move that pays significant dividends in October. Plus, you know that you can always go to Hendriks for a save if Kimbrel needs a day off.
                    I agree, it would be awesome to have that luxury. I just don't think the Sox can put together a compelling enough trade offer.

Kimbrel also has some clauses in his contract that are based on the number of games he finishes in 2021, so that might tip the scales towards the opposite arrangement (Kimbrel as the setup man and Hendriks closing). Not that it should, but it's a consideration.

Comment

Kimbrell is going to be, by far, the most coveted player on the trade market. We are starting with something around Crochet or Vaughn for him and I would not do that. Our problem is not at the end of the game, our problem is the bridge to the end. Evan Marshall, Ryan Burr, Matt Foster, all bad pitchers who we got something from but can't count on in October. Whatever is wrong with Heuer, he is getting hit HARD, Crochet looks human lately, Ruiz is a thrower, we need to get better in the 6th and 7th innings. Doesn't have to be dominance, just reliability. Look at what the Yanks got for a RENTAL of Chapman in Gleybar. That price skyrockets for Kimbrell.

I don't trade Vaughn for Bryant personally. We need to find a 2b and a couple MR. Then we need our DL guys to return as they should, and we need a couple regulars to get back on track (Moncada looks a lot better the last week).

Comment

“No way” is the polite way to put it.
                        (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

Kris Bryant is not bringing back significant talent; he is bringing back salary relief. Same goes for Baez and Rizzo. Ricketts has dollar signs in his eyes.
                          Especially since the reno costs of Wrigley and the neighborhood was double what was originally planned. That could really hurt the Rickett's wallet. And I wonder how the Marquee financials are going?

Comment

It has been discussed the Sox need a 2B man (at least for 2021) to replace Nick. If the choices are Adam Frazier or Javy Baez, who should Hahn go after?

Comment

Yeah, Vaughn is a massive overpay for two months of Bryant. Hard pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X