*OFFICIAL* 7-18-21 Combined 1 Hitter Plus 2 Homers SOX 4 HOU 0 Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 7-18-21 Combined 1 Hitter Plus 2 Homers SOX 4 HOU 0 Postgamer

21-2 in games when hitting more than one homer; undefeated when throwing a shutout. 😜

Pitching staff gave up 4 hits over 2 games against the best hitting team in baseball.

Got a lot more games coming up against teams over .500, aka the teams you're going to see in October. Not always going to get this type of pitching, so have to hope the offense keeps up.
    I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Good comeback in the next 2 games by the Sox after the blowout Friday night. We can beat .500+ teams as we beat the Rays and now the Astros.
      Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-18-2021, 04:41 PM.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

The rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated. Nice win. Great pitching. TA ties a record. The invincible Astros have been run out of town on a rail.

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Seems like it's been a long time since more than 100K fans showed up for a three game series against a team not named "Cubs." The ballpark is going to be rocking the rest of the way and it's great to see..

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
            Seems like it's been a long time since more than 100K fans showed up for a three game series against a team not named "Cubs." The ballpark is going to be rocking the rest of the way and it's great to see..
            For me, the pitching was the highlight of this series but I agree on the size of the crowds. That was very much a great thing to see.

Comment

Biggest series win this year.

Comment

This was baseball at its best.

Pitching wins pennants...always has, always will.

Anderson has now had a hit and scored a run in 11 straight games which sets the franchise record.

Comment

Magic number is 64.
                  "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                  -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                    Magic number is 64.
                    Here's hoping the Sox clear the magic number all by themselves.....

Comment

It was good to see Moncada go deep. Hopefully it's a sign of HR's to come.

Comment

Obviously the Sox should have scored more runs today. Second and third with one out and you ground into a double play? Major league baseball can make you look stupid. The game moves fast, and bad decisions are made in an instant. The Astros played it too well for Engel get himself caught in a rundown and he should have stopped and let himself be tagged out. By running past the third-base bag, he turned it into a double play. Abreu is out for passing the runner (it doesn't matter if he was stationary -- by definition the trailing runner is out for passing the lead runner regardless of who physically passed who). I don't know if Engel was surprised to see Abreu at third (he shouldn't have been), but I'm sure it's an easier play to understand watching if from a distance. I've never seen a runner run past a stationary teammate on a base. Sometimes bad things happen to good base runners. It's good that it happened on a day when the opponent only had one base runner over nine innings who never got close to third base.

And it shouldn't have been the lede (lead, if you prefer). Rodon, not for the first time this season, had no-hit stuff. He was pretty much unhittable, didn't walk anyone and went deep enough that the Sox didn't expose the weak underbelly of their bullpen. I don't know what went into the decision not to start Lynn in the series, but after starting Cease Friday night, and enduring a bullpen inning in which the Astros scored four times, the Sox gave up two singles, a double and a home run, all with no one on base, walking none and striking out 21 against a team that offensively averages about 7.5 strikeouts a game.

This wasn't the strongest lineup the White Sox have sent out this season. There was an April game with Nick Williams starting in left and Mendick giving Anderson the day off at short that looked stronger. Eventually the return of Jimenez and Robert will make it tougher on left-handers who aren't matched up against Rodon with no-hit stuff. But except for that base running play that still haunts me, The White Sox looked pretty good today.

Comment

What I noticed today was my standard routine would be, watch when the Sox are batting, do your fridge/ snack runs/ bathroom breaks while we're pitching. That no longer holds true. When they brought Kopech in, no way I was leaving the room. Our pitching is so exciting it's ridiculous.

Comment

October is all about pitching. If health is not an issue, the Sox will be tough to beat.
                            β€œIt's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Know what? Turns out Rodon is a serious injury risk. He put a major hurt on the Astros. The Stros average 7 punchouts per game this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X