Who Is Your First Half MVP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is Your First Half MVP?

Jose Abreu. What he's been able to do with little protection behind him in the lineup is remarkable. Brian Goodwin and Leury Garcia have been hitting 4-5 recently, and no knock on them but if I'm pitching they're going to have to beat me rather than Abreu.

Honorable mention to Ethan Katz. The Sox aren't eight games up without their starting pitching, particularly Carlos Rodon and Dylan Cease stepping up.
    “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

I pick Carlos. He is our 5th pitcher and only got that by beating out Lopez in ST. Rodon has been a exceptional.

Comment

Carlos Rodon, followed closely by Lance Lynn. No player is more responsible for the Sox success this season than Rodon.

Unless they changed the rules of this made-up award, Katz isn't eligible for first-half MVP.

Comment

Tie, Rodon and Abreu. There would be no tie if Jose had been more consistent, he had a couple of dry spells which has hurt some of his numbers.
        Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-14-2021, 12:22 PM.
        Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Vaughn. Thrown into a completely alien position while making his MLB debut.

Comment

Katz.

If it has to be a player, than Rodon with Lynn as an honorary mention.
            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
            -- Thucydides

Comment

Liam Hendriks. Blowing games in the 9th inning has a very deflating effect to any team and he has been really solid.

Comment

Carlos Rodon is the best left-handed starter in baseball. He should be the 1st-half AL Cy Young choice of most publications of note. There is no other correct answer to this question.

Notice the lack of funky color on that sentence. Teal? Yeah, right.. Deep pink? Even pipe dreams sometimes come true. Nope, just plain ol’ black ink, which probably won’t be the only black ink associated with Rodon this year.

Comment

Lance Lynn. He's been the best pitcher on the team followed very closely by Rodon. Also has the best ERA (and ERA+) in the AL as of right now.

Comment

Jose Abreu the RBI machine

Comment

Originally posted by blurry View Post
                      Lance Lynn. He's been the best pitcher on the team followed very closely by Rodon. Also has the best ERA (and ERA+) in the AL as of right now.
                      We're splitting hairs here, and I don't want to downplay what Lynn has done, but Rodon's underlying metrics (K/9, BB/9, FIP, xERA, xFIP, SIERA) are all better than Lynn's, indicating that he has actually pitched better despite the slightly higher ERA.

Comment

I'd pick Carlos Rodon by a slim margin over Lance Lynn. Last year he was a broken pitcher. A first-round draft choice that had not panned out due to several injuries and mechanical difficulties. The Sox took a chance and resigned him during the off season to a one-year make-or-break deal. He has been nothing less than outstanding during the first half. A special note of thanks to Ethan Katz. Without his guidance and encouragement I don't think Rodon would have risen to the top like he has. Good riddance to Don Cooper. He had a fine track record with the Sox as pitching coach, but obviously it was time for him to move on.

Comment

Position players: Tim Anderson
                          Pitchers: Carlos Rodon

Comment

If I could nominate our entire starting pitching staff as first half MVP, I would. Those 5 guys staying healthy and effective are the main reason the Sox have weathered the injury storm to our position players. If I have to pick one guy, I'd go with Carlos Rodon and his unexpected Cy Young half season.

Comment

That there is no clear-cut favorite speaks volumes about this team.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-4
                              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 295-251
                              Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Working...
                              X