• Show
Clear All

• Sox/Cubs Game Moved to ABC...

First time ABC will be broadcasting a Sunday night Baseball game:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/7/...e-aug-8-to-abc

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    First time ABC will be broadcasting a Sunday night Baseball game:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/7/...e-aug-8-to-abc
    When was the last time the Sox were on ABC? The Cubs were during last year's playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

When was the last time the Sox were on ABC? The Cubs were during last year's playoffs.
      I have in my library games on ABC for Monday Night Baseball during 1983 and 1985, don't know after that though.

Comment

Aw gee, does that mean no "Sox math"?

And no insurance company jingle?

Damn the luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

I have in my library games on ABC for Monday Night Baseball during 1983 and 1985, don't know after that though.
          I was at this game which was on Monday Night Baseball for the whole country to see:
          New York Yankees at Chicago White Sox Box Score, August 1, 1983 | Baseball-Reference.com

What was so special about this game? I'll tell ya.
          The Yanks had rookie (and future Cub) Ray Fontenot on The Hump that night.
          First Inning, Luzinski steps up to the Plate with one on. Against all scouting reports ever done on The Bull, Fontenot serves up a Fastball. He might as well had pulled a gun on Dirty Harry. I never before, or since, heard a more solid connection betweent bat and ball. Dave Winfield in Left took one look at it and shrugged. The ball was still rising when it hit the LF light tower!!!!!

Third Inning. The Bull steps up again with one man on. What does the future Cub do? Yup, Fastball. Kids never learn from their mistakes, do they? This time it was a rising line shot towards Center. Winfield and Mumphrey (CFer) took one step back, looked at each other and shook their heads. The ball smacked the facade of the upper deck as it was still rising about three feet to the left of the opening between the upper deck and the scoreboard. I think engineers had to cetify the upper deck was still sound after than one.

Wow. Just wow.

My seats? Mezzanine. For those of you who were never there or don't remember Comiskey's seating chart, this put me in the lower bowl, First Base side between the Plate and Pitcher's Mound. Perfect seats to watch the home runs fly out with Escape Velocity.
          Last edited by Dumpjerry; 07-08-2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WSox597 View Post
            Aw gee, does that mean no "Sox math"?

And no insurance company jingle?

Damn the luck.
            More importantly, no Benetti/Stone, instead we get A-Rod and whatever terrible play-by-play guy ESPN has lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

More importantly, no Benetti/Stone, instead we get A-Rod and whatever terrible play-by-play guy ESPN has lying around.
              I'll take Benetti and Stone. But that's neither here nor there for this game as it was originally going to be on ESPN anyway.
              White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

I could be mistaken but my understanding was that most of the ABC Cubs broadcasts were only ABC 7 Chicago and not national broadcasts. They even broadcasted the occasional regular season game for the Cubs the last couple seasons. The relationship ended when Marquee Network launched though. It sounds like this Sox vs Cubs game is going to be on all ABC affiliates nationwide. That's pretty wide exposure. It would be fantastic if the Sox were going for a sweep that night

Comment

Originally posted by Foulke You View Post
                  I could be mistaken but my understanding was that most of the ABC Cubs broadcasts were only ABC 7 Chicago and not national broadcasts. They even broadcasted the occasional regular season game for the Cubs the last couple seasons. The relationship ended when Marquee Network launched though. It sounds like this Sox vs Cubs game is going to be on all ABC affiliates nationwide. That's pretty wide exposure. It would be fantastic if the Sox were going for a sweep that night
                  You are correct, the Cubs on WLS were only shown locally. This is a national Sunday Night Baseball broadcast.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the NFL (my wife's a Bears fan), but I think it's common for Monday Night Football games to be shown on Channel 7 for those that don't have cable.

I was so looking forward to watching this matchup on Marquee.
                    “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Originally posted by PaleHoser View Post
                      I'm not a fan of the NFL (my wife's a Bears fan), but I think it's common for Monday Night Football games to be shown on Channel 7 for those that don't have cable.

I was so looking forward to watching this matchup on Marquee.
                      Only if the home team is playing and it does vary. It's not always on ABC I don't think. Local channels can bid on it if I recall correctly.
                      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

Only if the home team is playing and it does vary. It's not always on ABC I don't think. Local channels can bid on it if I recall correctly.
                        Correct. If there is a Monday night game the game is simulcast on ABC in the home team's market. At least that's how it is in Chicago. The game is not shown nationally on ABC on Monday nights.

Disney owns ESPN and all of the national ABC affiliates. As the article said, this is the first Sunday where there was a "window" for ESPN to air the game nationally on ABC instead of ESPN.

Comment

Working...
                        X