Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the day...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • On the day...

    1958- He came so close to perfection. White Sox lefthander Billy Pierce fired four one-hitters in his brilliant career, but he never came closer to baseball immortality than he did on this night.

    With two out in the ninth inning, Pierce lost a perfect game as Washington’s Ed Fitz Gerald, a pinch-hitter, doubled down the first-base line on the first pitch he saw. The hit was fair by a foot, off of a low-outside breaking ball. The crowd at Comiskey Park stared in disbelief.

    The Sox won, 3-0, but Piercenever came closer to pitching the ultimate masterpiece. On the night, the Senators only hit six balls out of the infield. Piercestruck out nine and only went to a three-ball count on two hitters. The game took 1:46 to play.

    Another historical oddity: Fitz Gerald’s grandfather was an important businessman in Milwaukee, active in the shipping industry. Years later, a ship would be named after him. The name of the ship? The Edmund Fitz Gerald. (Cue the song from Gordon Lightfoot!)

  • #2
    I listened to that game of all places in the projection booth of the Esquire Theater as my father was a Motion Picture Projectionist at that beautiful theater for over 30 years. A real heartbreaker for Billy and all of us White Sox fans, I know tears came to my eyes.

    I also remember Bob Keegan's no hitter a year earlier in 1957.

    The first no hitter I remember was in 1955 by Sad Sam Jones AKA Toothpick Sam of the Flubs at Wrigley against the Pirates, saw the last couple of innings on TV after school.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-27-2021, 04:25 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
      I listened to that game of all places in the projection booth of the Esquire Theater where my father was a Motion Picture Projectionist at the Esquire for over 30 years. A real heartbreaker for Billy and all of us White Sox fans, I know tears came to my eyes.

      I also remember Bob Keegan's no hitter a year earlier in 1957.

      The first no hitter I remember was in 1955 by Sad Sam Jones AKA Toothpick Sam of the Flubs at Wrigley against the Pirates, saw the last couple of innings on TV after school.
      I saw Sad Sam that day. Riding home on the El, hopped off at Addison on a whim and arrived in the second inning. Up 4-0, Sam began the 9th by walking the bases loaded. After a mound visit by Manager Hack, then proceeded to strike out the side.

      Did I just give you guys a hint at my age?
      If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by berwyn View Post

        I saw Sad Sam that day. Riding home on the El, hopped off at Addison on a whim and arrived in the second inning. Up 4-0, Sam began the 9th by walking the bases loaded. After a mound visit by Manager Hack, then proceeded to strike out the side.

        Did I just give you guys a hint at my age?
        Yeah, you're older than me. I started riding the bus and the "L" by myself in 1957 when I was 11 so I'd say you are in your early to mid 80s.


        Did you live in Berwyn or did you live on Berwyn which is why you were on the "L" that day heading home further up the line.
        Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-27-2021, 04:27 PM.
        Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

        Comment


        • #5
          When Dewayne Wise did "The Catch" to preserve Buehrle's Perfecto, it was in front of Pierce's picture on the wall.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

            Yeah, you're older than me. I started riding the bus and the "L" by myself in 1957 when I was 11 so I'd say you are in your early to mid 80s.


            Did you live in Berwyn or did you live on Berwyn which is why you were on the "L" that day heading home further up the line.
            I lived north of Berwyn, went to school in the city farther south.
            If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

            Comment

            Working...
            X