On the day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the day...

1958- He came so close to perfection. White Sox lefthander Billy Pierce fired four one-hitters in his brilliant career, but he never came closer to baseball immortality than he did on this night.

With two out in the ninth inning, Pierce lost a perfect game as Washington’s Ed Fitz Gerald, a pinch-hitter, doubled down the first-base line on the first pitch he saw. The hit was fair by a foot, off of a low-outside breaking ball. The crowd at Comiskey Park stared in disbelief.

The Sox won, 3-0, but Piercenever came closer to pitching the ultimate masterpiece. On the night, the Senators only hit six balls out of the infield. Piercestruck out nine and only went to a three-ball count on two hitters. The game took 1:46 to play.

Another historical oddity: Fitz Gerald’s grandfather was an important businessman in Milwaukee, active in the shipping industry. Years later, a ship would be named after him. The name of the ship? The Edmund Fitz Gerald. (Cue the song from Gordon Lightfoot!)

I listened to that game of all places in the projection booth of the Esquire Theater as my father was a Motion Picture Projectionist at that beautiful theater for over 30 years. A real heartbreaker for Billy and all of us White Sox fans, I know tears came to my eyes.

I also remember Bob Keegan's no hitter a year earlier in 1957.

The first no hitter I remember was in 1955 by Sad Sam Jones AKA Toothpick Sam of the Flubs at Wrigley against the Pirates, saw the last couple of innings on TV after school.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-27-2021, 04:25 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
      I listened to that game of all places in the projection booth of the Esquire Theater where my father was a Motion Picture Projectionist at the Esquire for over 30 years. A real heartbreaker for Billy and all of us White Sox fans, I know tears came to my eyes.

I also remember Bob Keegan's no hitter a year earlier in 1957.

The first no hitter I remember was in 1955 by Sad Sam Jones AKA Toothpick Sam of the Flubs at Wrigley against the Pirates, saw the last couple of innings on TV after school.
      I saw Sad Sam that day. Riding home on the El, hopped off at Addison on a whim and arrived in the second inning. Up 4-0, Sam began the 9th by walking the bases loaded. After a mound visit by Manager Hack, then proceeded to strike out the side.

Did I just give you guys a hint at my age?
      If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

Originally posted by berwyn View Post

I saw Sad Sam that day. Riding home on the El, hopped off at Addison on a whim and arrived in the second inning. Up 4-0, Sam began the 9th by walking the bases loaded. After a mound visit by Manager Hack, then proceeded to strike out the side.

Did I just give you guys a hint at my age?
        Yeah, you're older than me. I started riding the bus and the "L" by myself in 1957 when I was 11 so I'd say you are in your early to mid 80s.

Did you live in Berwyn or did you live on Berwyn which is why you were on the "L" that day heading home further up the line.
        Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-27-2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

When Dewayne Wise did "The Catch" to preserve Buehrle's Perfecto, it was in front of Pierce's picture on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Yeah, you're older than me. I started riding the bus and the "L" by myself in 1957 when I was 11 so I'd say you are in your early to mid 80s.

Did you live in Berwyn or did you live on Berwyn which is why you were on the "L" that day heading home further up the line.
            I lived north of Berwyn, went to school in the city farther south.

Comment

42 years ago today, the White Sox fired Don Kessinger as their manager and replaced him with this 34-year old who was manager of the Sox Triple A affiliate in Iowa:
              https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...9-new-era-2020
              White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Oh, and I missed this by 2 days. July 31 was the 30th anniversary of one of the most memorable walk-off HRs in Sox history. Robin Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam off of Goose Gossage with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th on 7/31/91 to give the Sox a dramatic 10-8 victory over Texas.
                Last edited by Hitmen77; 08-02-2021, 10:28 AM.
                White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post
                  42 years ago today, the White Sox fired Don Kessinger as their manager and replaced him with this 34-year old who was manager of the Sox Triple A affiliate in Iowa:
                  https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...9-new-era-2020
                  Still debate on if he was fired or not. Don says he went to Veeck and offered to resign and Bill accepted.

Comment

Can't believe it's been 42 years. How did I get so old, so fast?!

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
                    All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
                    Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post
                      Oh, and I missed this by 2 days. July 31 was the 30th anniversary of one of the most memorable walk-off HRs in Sox history. Robin Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam off of Goose Gossage with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th on 7/31/91 to give the Sox a dramatic 10-8 victory over Texas.
                      Unfortunately, when it comes to Ventura and Texas, that’s not the moment most fans, especially middle-aged ones, choose to remember.

Comment

You must be referring to the night when he charged the mound to take on Nolan Ryan. That didn't work out to well for him. Reminded me of the Blackhawks' defenseman Keith Magnuson, who was quick to drop his gloves and challenge an opponent. Magnuson was a brave combatant, but he seemed to lose more fights than he won.

Comment

Originally posted by fungo bat View Post
                          You must be referring to the night when he charged the mound to take on Nolan Ryan. That didn't work out to well for him. Reminded me of the Blackhawks' defenseman Keith Magnuson, who was quick to drop his gloves and challenge an opponent. Magnuson was a brave combatant, but he seemed to lose more fights than he won.
                          Maggie was a helluva pug. I think he might even dropped em his first shift as a Hawk. Yup, overmatched in many, but hell he threw some fancy roundhouses.

Comment

Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

Maggie was a helluva pug. I think he might even dropped em his first shift as a Hawk. Yup, overmatched in many, but hell he threw some fancy roundhouses.
                            Too bad Mags didn't beat the crap out of the Pocket Rocket before he skated around him and scored the winning goal in game 7 of the 1971 finals.
                            Can you believe, 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

Stopped more punches than he did goals.

As I remember it, Kessinger failed to pinch hit in a blowout loss and Veeck put in a call to Tony. That doesn't make Lip's version not true, though. This was after the DH, so it must have been for a position player. Ah, who cares but us...

Comment

Working...
                              X