*Official* 6/22 The Seventh Giveth, The Seventh Taketh Away Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 6/22 The Seventh Giveth, The Seventh Taketh Away Postgamer

Not sure how much longer these guys can tread water. This only will get more desperate the longer they wait to do something about this.

For the most part, Crochet has been one of the best relievers on the team. He didn’t have it tonight. Right now, there are exactly zero reliable bridge guys in the bullpen to get the game to Hendriks. La Russa has to find somebody to lock down some 8th-inning work for the time being.

Failing that, what is the solution? Starters go 7, Hendriks goes 2 for the save? If he can do that in his first appearance after a rest day and do a normal 1-inning save the next day, that could help.

You don’t want your closer pitching 3 days in a row anyway, so you may as well maximize the mileage out of that first appearance after a day of rest. After that, move things back to a traditional 9th-inning closer stint on that second day of the back-to-back.

Look at Giolito’s performance tonight. These starters can go 110+ pitches every damn time out, so we should take advantage of that. If a guy’s stuff/command are so bad that he can’t even realistically compete that day, then pull him early. Otherwise, lean on these guys!

Comment

On the plus side I think Frank has really improved as a commentator from where he started. Or maybe compared to Beckham anyone would sound good. La Russa has got to do some chunking here. He can't magically make a lineup that is comprised of scrubs any better but his bullpen management and emphasis on fundamentals will be key to helping us through this. Moncada seems to be having some kind of Chuck Knoblach phase about throwing the baseball from 3rd. It's ridiculous. Bad defense will kill a team anytime but especially when the lineup is so putrid. At the same time teams go through slumps like this every season. Even in 05 we lost 7 or 8 in a row at one point.

Comment

While the White Sox burn, Rick Hahn fiddles.

7th time in the last 8 games the Sox have scored three runs or less...
        7th game this year Sox led in the 7th inning or later and lost, bullpen has been responsible for six of those games.
        Yet another error by Moncada leading to a big inning.

Other than that everything is rosy and bright!

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
          For the most part, Crochet has been one of the best relievers on the team. He didn’t have it tonight. Right now, there are exactly zero reliable bridge guys in the bullpen to get the game to Hendriks. La Russa has to find somebody to lock down some 8th-inning work for the time being.

Failing that, what is the solution? Starters go 7, Hendriks goes 2 for the save? If he can do that in his first appearance after a rest day and do a normal 1-inning save the next day, that could help.

You don’t want your closer pitching 3 days in a row anyway, so you may as well maximize the mileage out of that first appearance after a day of rest. After that, move things back to a traditional 9th-inning closer stint on that second day of the back-to-back.

Look at Giolito’s performance tonight. These starters can go 110+ pitches every damn time out, so we should take advantage of that. If a guy’s stuff/command are so bad that he can’t even realistically compete that day, then pull him early. Otherwise, lean on these guys!
          I don't know maybe Rick Hahn gets off his ****ing ass and brings in some help?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

How do you know he hasn't been in touch with other GM's?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulwny View Post

How do you know he hasn't been in touch with other GM's?
              Like famous White Sox pitching coach Johnny Sain once said, "People don't care to hear about the labor pains, they only want to see the baby..."

Comment

If Moncada’s yips continue at 3rd, try moving him to 2nd and giving Jake Burger a chance. I feel pretty confident that, at the very least, Burger can out-hit Yermin Mercedes both right now and going forward.

Comment

Like famous White Sox pitching coach Johnny Sain once said, "People don't care to hear about the labor pains, they only want to see the baby..."
                  I asked how you know he hasn't been in touch with other Gm's. You keep complaining about him not being in touch with other GM"s, maybe he has been. Right now it a sellers' market. the Buc's GM has stated he's received numerous call about Fraizer, I'm sure his asking price is high.

Comment

The sellers aren’t selling yet. No other contenders have made any moves yet.

If other teams end up beating the White Sox to the punch on preferred acquisitions, then by all means blame the front office for sitting idly by and being content with simply “rolling the dice” at playoff time. However, if the White Sox end up making the first noteworthy move of the 2021 trading season, then we can’t really turn around and blame them for something beyond their control.

A lack of action does not necessarily mean a lack of acknowledgement, or even a lack of urgency. It may mean a lack of willingness for sellers to cash in this early.

Comment

I asked how you know he hasn't been in touch with other Gm's. You keep complaining about him not being in touch with other GM"s, maybe he has been. Right now it a sellers' market. the Buc's GM has stated he's received numerous call about Fraizer, I'm sure his asking price is high.
                      Which gives selling GMs all the more reason to slow-play for the best offer.

Comment

I'm only interested in results per Sain's famous quote. The Sox needed help yesterday not in the middle of July. I have no idea if he's spoken with anyone other than Nightengale's "report" I only know they seem to lose a guy a day much like that stretch last year with no help arriving on the next plane.

Regarding asking price, you want to win? You pay the price, pretty simple.

Here's how I'd approach it:

Hi, we want (player name) what is your asking price?

Then you decide yes or no. If yes, deal is done immediately.

If no, move on to the next call.

No BS'ing, no dickering, yes or no, what do you want and then the ball is with Hahn to say yes or no.

It's not rocket science. And these teams that have bottomed out have long ago figured out in general terms what they want for certain guys. It's not like they haven't been thinking about this for the past few weeks.

But OK, we'll be patient, continue to trot out a Triple A lineup that can't hit and keep losing games.

Paulny: Not singling you out, just really ****ing pissed right now, pissed at the organization, pissed at all the injuries. In a year with high expectations right now it looks like its going right down the damn toilet...again. Only in the world of the White Sox.
                        Last edited by Lipman 1; 06-22-2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

The sellers aren’t selling yet. No other contenders have made any moves yet.

If other teams end up beating the White Sox to the punch on preferred acquisitions, then by all means blame the front office for sitting idly by and being content with simply “rolling the dice” at playoff time. However, if the White Sox end up making the first noteworthy move of the 2021 trading season, then we can’t really turn around and blame them for something beyond their control.

A lack of action does not necessarily mean a lack of acknowledgement, or even a lack of urgency. It may mean a lack of willingness for sellers to cash in this early.
                          Tampa made moves months ago with Milwaukee and recently picked up a guy, sorry I forget his name.

Comment

I'm only interested in results per Sain's famous quote. The Sox needed help yesterday not in the middle of July. I have no idea if he's spoken with anyone other than Nightengale's "report" I only know they seem to lose a guy a day much like that stretch last year with no help arriving on the next plane.

Regarding asking price, you want to win? You pay the price, pretty simple.

Here's how I'd approach it:

Then you decide yes or no. If yes, deal is done immediately.

If no, move on to the next call.

No BS'ing, no dickering, yes or no, what do you want and then the ball is with Hahn to say yes or no.

It's not rocket science. And these teams that have bottomed out have long ago figured out in general terms what they want for certain guys. It's not like they haven't been thinking about this for the past few weeks.

But OK, we'll be patient, continue to trot out a Triple A lineup that can't hit and keep losing games.
                            C'mon Lip, you know it has never workled this way. What if a few GM's say we don't want any of your minor league players but, we will take player A from your roster?, you close one hole and create another.

Comment

The core players are all in slumps. if they weren't we could tread water for a while. We only have one Tatis left and that won't fill four holes, black or whatever.
                              If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X