*Official* 6/14 Longball bites Sox - Rays 5 - Sox 2 post gamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 6/14 Longball bites Sox - Rays 5 - Sox 2 post gamer

Longball beats the Sox. Sox now 6-19 when they do not hit a home run.

Lynn didn’t have his best stuff and besides the injuries, the offense has two dumpster fires in it with Eaton and Yermin.

Throw in some late inning blunders with Tim getting picked off of first and Ruiz being unable to catch a toss which are mistakes you can’t make against a team like that.

Comment

Cleveland beat the Orioles 4-3. Lead now 4.5.
      Tigers over the Royals 8-3 going to the bottom of the 8th in KC.
      Twins leading early 1-0 over the Mariners, Top 3.

Comment

This is why you sweep the Tigers, so that you are under less pressure to perform against Tyler Glasnow.
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

Comment

Some nights, you just get beat. The Sox didn't help themselves with those late follies, but this game was over before then. The offense went dead after that third inning.

Comment

Had hoped that somehow the Sox could get a win tonight, I figured they'd been dogging bullets all season hell what's one more night?

But then when I saw Moncada was out, I realized there was no way, not with that lineup.

Outside of Glasnow I didn't recognize one Tampa relief pitcher but their ERA's are out of this world.

Try again tomorrow.

Cleveland won and are playing patsies this week so that lead is probably going to shrink a lot more.

Comment

The lack of any real LH hitting threat (particularly with Moncada not playing) is a real deficiency with this lineup. Even with Eloy, Robert, and Madrigal healthy, there remains a decided lack of LH line drive extra base power that could counteract the ability of a playoff team like the Rays throwing a bunch of high power RH pitchers.

Comment

I wonder at what point this team cuts their losses with Adam Eaton?

Comment

If you replace Adam Eaton with Joey Gallo, that immediate upgrade probably would be enough. Then Eloy goes in for Mercedes at some point, Robert goes in for Engel at some point, and you figure out what is going on with the 2B situation.

Comment

Originally posted by blurry View Post
                    They did it with Yonder Alonso a couple years ago, and that's when they weren't even contending. If the Sox were to acquire a suitable replacement I think he'd be gone. They might already have one on the roster with Goodwin (I'm not saying Goodwin is the long term solution, but he could probably outperform Eaton).

Yonder Alonso (2019): .178/.275/.301
                    Adam Eaton (2021): .195/.296/.345

Eaton isn't quite at Alonso's level of suckiness but the fact that we're trying to win a World Series makes this situation more urgent.
                    Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 06-15-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Fair question. He's prolly dinged up in some way, since he had bat skills in April. The problem is that he's "One of ours." Yonder Alonso was a stranger.
                      If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
                        If you replace Adam Eaton with Joey Gallo, that immediate upgrade probably would be enough. Then Eloy goes in for Mercedes at some point, Robert goes in for Engel at some point, and you figure out what is going on with the 2B situation.
                        Eloy is not the DH.

Everyone wants him to be the DH, but he isn't the DH.

And I 100% agree on Gallo and this point. Gallo will at least give you above average value as a whole. Eaton is a net negative for the team at this point.
                        Last edited by blurry; 06-15-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Eloy is not the DH.

And I 100% agree on Gallo and this point. Gallo will at least give you above average value as a whole. Eaton is a net negative for the team at this point.
                          Why is he not the DH if the alternatives play LF better than he does?

Comment

Eloy is not the DH.

Eloy takes that spot in the lineup. Knowing this stubborn organization, Vaughn probably ends up at DH, but it’s still moving Mercedes to the bench.

Comment

I'm starting to get concerned about the inability to beat teams above .500. We have the pitching but the loss of a third of our starting lineup is starting to hurt. Hahn needs to do something pretty quick. I thought picking up Eaton was a good move but it looks like he's in his declining years and with Eloy and Robert still on the sidelines our outfield is pretty decimated. I like Vaughn but he probably needed to be in Charlotte for 2021 and Engel should be the 4th outfielder, not starting on a regular basis.

Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Working...
                              X