Happy Anniversary Mr. Allen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Anniversary Mr. Allen...

Certainly one of the most unusual and different Sports Illustrated covers ever:

Not only is he juggling baseballs, but he is (impressively) keeping a rather long ash on his cigarette.

Comment

If this doesn’t beg Hall of Fame, then I don’t know what does.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Allen View Post
        If this doesn’t beg Hall of Fame, then I don’t know what does.
        The 156 career OPS+ makes it criminal that Dick Allen is not in the Hall of Fame. It is the 19th-best OPS+ of all-time, in a 3-way tie with Willie Mays and Frank Thomas.

Comment

Hopefully this fall the veterans committee says "yes."

Comment

I've got that cover (framed) hanging in my office.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-4
            All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 295-251
            Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

No one has mentioned that it was Bill Melton's cigarette.

Comment

Originally posted by TDog View Post
                No one has mentioned that it was Bill Melton's cigarette.
                Maybe nobody knows it was Bill Melton’s cigarette? Happy you could enlighten us, though.

Comment

Outside of Ken Berry, my favorite player of that era . i don't remember much these days, but i remember watching him bash the ball.

Comment

Dick Allen was a man of many talents, especially on the baseball diamond. Absolutely a HOF player. Hope he gets voted in soon. Literally saved the Sox franchise in the early 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy John View Post

Maybe nobody knows it was Bill Melton’s cigarette? Happy you could enlighten us, though.
                      Yeah, it has a filter, Allen probably smoked unfiltered Camels, just like Wonder Bread they helped build bodies 12 ways.
                      BTW, that's no knock against Melton who was a favorite of mine.
                      Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-20-2021, 03:48 PM.
                      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post
                        Outside of Ken Berry, my favorite player of that era . i don't remember much these days, but i remember watching him bash the ball.
                        Urban Legend say’s baseball’s found after those Thor like thunderstrikes were retrieved having been misformed into assorted saucer shaped objects, a crystallized core with bits of singed string. Hey baseball Hall of Fame, get your heads out your posterior and get this guy his plaque and fastidiously polish it daily for your transgressions.

Comment

Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

Urban Legend say’s baseball’s found after those Thor like thunderstrikes were retrieved having been misformed into assorted saucer shaped objects, a crystallized core with bits of singed string. Hey baseball Hall of Fame, get your heads out your posterior and get this guy his plaque and fastidiously polish it daily for your transgressions.
                          I heard Rich Gossage say "there shouldn't even be a Baseball Hall of Fame if it doesn't have Dick Allen in it."

Comment

Working...
                          X