X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 7/26 Everything Goes Wrong Postgamer

That could not have gone any worse.

Uuugly.
    Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Comment

This team needed to acquire two starting pitchers. They only acquired one. Instead of running a legitimate starter out there in the rubber game and having this game happen as part of a fifth starter competition, it happens in the third spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
        This team needed to acquire two starting pitchers. They only acquired one. Instead of running a legitimate starter out there in the rubber game and having this game happen as part of a fifth starter competition, it happens in the third spot.
        Probably so, but during the peak free agency/trade season, COVID, the abbreviated season, the postseason tournament, and Kopech opting out, could not have been foreseen. I’ll agree with your assessment, but I’m less inclined to re-litigate offseason decisions than I am very recent decisions like:

Excluding Madrigal from the active roster;

Relying on Leury as the starting 2B;

Starting Delmonico in RF;

Having Lopez - an extreme flyball pitcher who gives up lots of homers - face a team that hit more fly balls and more homers than any other team in 2019;

Having Grandal catch Giolito when Giolito had such success with McCann last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

Probably so, but during the peak free agency/trade season, COVID, the abbreviated season, the postseason tournament, and Kopech opting out, could not have been foreseen. I’ll agree with your assessment, but I’m less inclined to re-litigate offseason decisions than I am very recent decisions like:

Excluding Madrigal from the active roster;

Relying on Leury as the starting 2B;

Starting Delmonico in RF;

Having Lopez - an extreme flyball pitcher who gives up lots of homers - face a team that hit more fly balls and more homers than any other team in 2019;

Having Grandal catch Giolito when Giolito had such success with McCann last year.
          It should have been foreseen that all four of Kopech, Rodon, Cease, and Lopez would not all stay healthy and productive for an entire season.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
            That could not have gone any worse.
            Yeah it was pretty brutal, but after turning it off for a while I reloaded the stream on my iPad and kept it going in the background and got to see Luis Robert's first HR. Small smile on an otherwise brutal day.
            Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

It should have been foreseen that all four of Kopech, Rodon, Cease, and Lopez would not all stay healthy and productive for an entire season.
              Last I checked the Sox still have 5 viable starting pitchers and that doesn't include Lopez though Gonzalez may not have much left. That's before we start looking to the minors for help including Lambert and Dunning.

Comment

And Stiever -- he's with the taxi squad too.

Comment

Anybody in the mood to calculate our ERA with Grandal behind the plate?

It's a joke that Robert is batting seventh.

Delmonico batting second? ***? Was that a symbolic premonition by Ricky of how many times Delmonico would miss the cutoff man?

Cease should've started. I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Lopez should've.
                  Last edited by BainesHOF; 07-26-2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

The offense had its moments -- mostly Moncada, Jimenez, & Robert with contributions from McCann, Garcia and Engel. Anderson, Abreu, Grandal, Encarnacion, Delmonico and Mendick were bad. The starting pitching was a **** show, other than Keuchel. The key members of the bullpen were fine. Heuer, Lambert, and Fry stood out. The defense was very bad, especially the middle infield and Jimenez, who is a danger to himself and others. Grandal certainly didn't good at all, but he doesn't know the staff and the starters were so wild that there were few close pitches to frame. The managing was poor. Sweep the Spiders and we'll forget about all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

Last I checked the Sox still have 5 viable starting pitchers and that doesn't include Lopez though Gonzalez may not have much left. That's before we start looking to the minors for help including Lambert and Dunning.
                      They needed more than a simple accumulation of viable rotation arms. They needed two bona fide rotation guys who could be relied upon to stabilize things and have the best of those other viable arms occupy two spots instead of three.

Comment

Yes, they did. They needed to land a big fish, a starter better than Keuchel, and they failed. The wives of Zach Wheeler and Michael Kopech have done a lot of damage to this team's chances.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post
                          Yes, they did. They needed to land a big fish, a starter better than Keuchel, and they failed. The wives of Zach Wheeler and Michael Kopech have done a lot of damage to this team's chances.
                          Yes, let's blame family obligations and forget that these players are human beings who have their own needs and priorities. GMAB.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

Yes, let's blame family obligations and forget that these players are human beings who have their own needs and priorities. GMAB.
                            Yep we're a hop skip and a jump from blaming Kopech's wife and her pregnancy for the Sox being short a TOR starter this year.

Comment

I was surprised RR didn't give Colome an inning yesterday.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                              Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Working...
                              X