Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madrigal out...

Hahn says hamstring tear. 60 day IL.

Can't say I'm surprised the way he reacted. He's been in the league two years and both times has had a serious injury.

DVS of the Sun-Times outlines all the Sox leg injuries this season:

Michael Kopech is on the injured list with hamstring injuries. Outfielder Adam Engel just returned from the IL after straining his hamstring in spring training, and shortstop Tim Anderson missed time with a hamstring strain. Hamilton, who has an oblique strain, was sidelined with a hamstring injury in April. Adam Eaton has also had hamstring issues.

It just doesn't end for these guys.

Lose a .300 hitter probably until mid-August (at best) since he'll need to do a rehab stint.

Time for Hahn to get on the phones, not for a second baseman per say but for another bat or two for the outfield and some bullpen help. Wait until July and the price will be astronomical.
    Last edited by Lipman 1; 06-10-2021, 04:22 PM.

We just can't have nice things. Over a century later, and the franchise still is paying for the Black Sox scandal.

And Lip, you still haven't answered who the Sox can give up without sacrificing someone significant.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
      We just can't have nice things. Over a century later, and the franchise still is paying for the Black Sox scandal.

And Lip, you still haven't answered who the Sox can give up without sacrificing someone significant.
      What I think doesn't matter. It's Hahn's job to figure it out, that's why he gets paid large amounts of money. If they are willing to take on salary they may be able to get some decent pieces (as others have posted in the potential trade thread) without sacrificing a lot.

Comment

It's not JUST the Sox that are losing guys to the IL, especially with hamstring injuries, but good God it seems like other than Moncada, Anderson and Abreu, we've lost every core piece we were counting on for production going into the year.

To replace Madrigal, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox going out and trying to get Yolmer.

Comment

Brian Goodwin has been recalled from Charlotte. My guess is that means Leury Garcia is getting a lot more playing time at 2B. Injuries have been rampant in MLB this year. However, it seems when a Sox player hurts themselves, it's a catastrophic injury. That's now 33% of our starting 9 on the 60 day IL. It's pretty remarkable how the team has been able to sustain their first place lead. I think it is largely due to the health of our starting rotation which is the team's strength.
          Last edited by Foulke You; 06-10-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Well this is kind of what I was expecting, but it still stings. During the fateful at bat that resulted in the injury last night, I was getting ready to post something in the game thread about how good he has looked lately, and how he was turning into the "best case scenario" version of himself, providing adequate power and on base skills in addition to solid defense. This one really stings.

Barring any additional injuries, the Sox should still win the division. They're that much better than the next closest team (I guess Cleveland). But it just got a whole lot harder and a whole lot less room for error. If Madrigal's season is indeed over, I don't think they're going anywhere in the playoffs without addressing one of the two black holes in their roster (2B and RF). This may injury might just tip the risk/reward calculation in favor of acquiring a big-named solution to the 2B/OF situation, like Adam Frazier or Ketel Marte. Can Hahn swing a deal for one of them without giving up Kopech or Crochet?

Comment

Originally posted by whitesox5187 View Post
              It's not JUST the Sox that are losing guys to the IL, especially with hamstring injuries, but good God it seems like other than Moncada, Anderson and Abreu, we've lost every core piece we were counting on for production going into the year.

To replace Madrigal, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox going out and trying to get Yolmer.
              Other teams though seem to be able to have the talent in the minor leagues to do a decent job of replacing guys. That's where the issues with the Sox minor league system and the philosophy of ownership have really come into play over the seasons.

People say I'm jaded and pessimistic when it comes to the Sox...when you see **** like this happening starting in 2018 with the rebuild and now when they are in contention, you understand why.

Like Thomas wrote, "White Sox fans can not have nice things..."

Comment

I would. His numbers are horrible and he's in the Braves system right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulke You View Post
                  Brian Goodwin has been recalled from Charlotte. My guess is that means Leury Garcia is getting a lot more playing time at 2B. Injuries have been rampant in MLB this year. However, it seems when a Sox player hurts themselves, it's a catastrophic injury. That's now 33% of our starting 9 on the 60 day IL. It's pretty remarkable how the team has been able to sustain their 1B lead. I think it is largely due to the health of our starting rotation which is the team's strength.
                  Yeah this means Leury and Mendick are both pretty much full-time infielders.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

Yeah this means Leury and Mendick are both pretty much full-time infielders.
                    It is what it is. Hopefully Tony doesn't ask Mendick to bunt anytime soon!

Comment

This is terrible news. Finding someone to play second base - like Yolmer Sanchez - isn’t terribly hard, but Madrigal’s bat was just starting to become a real asset.

Mendick or Leury can play the position acceptably but neither is a difference making hitter.

I agree with Lip; find a hitter, preferably one who hits left handed, and be willing to take on salary in order to lower the trade price.

Charlie Blackmon would be just such a hitter. He could bat second and play RF. Vaughn and Eaton could share LF, Engel could play CF, and Leury and Mendick could share 2B.

Comment

Let's see. Madrigal is hitting .305/.349/.425 in the majors, and Yolmer is hitting .167/.302/.236 in AAA. You think he would be an adequate replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Other teams though seem to be able to have the talent in the minor leagues to do a decent job of replacing guys. That's where the issues with the Sox minor league system and the philosophy of ownership have really come into play over the seasons.

People say I'm jaded and pessimistic when it comes to the Sox...when you see **** like this happening starting in 2018 with the rebuild and now when they are in contention, you understand why.

Like Thomas wrote, "White Sox fans can not have nice things..."
                          But the Sox have proven, up to this point, that they have adequate replacement players. Sure, they could maybe have 'better' players, but given their record and their lead right now they have proven that concerns over depth were not fully warranted. Now though, some move needs to be made. But I fear they are going to be content and let this ride out until Eloy or Robert come back.

Comment

By the way Hahn also said that Madrigal returning in mid-August is absolutely the best-case scenario, given the club is still weighing whether to push Madrigal toward season-ending surgery, or rest/rehab.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                              Other teams though seem to be able to have the talent in the minor leagues to do a decent job of replacing guys.
                              What other teams?

The fact that the Sox have a 4 game lead in the division despite having already lost both Eloy and Robert seems to suggest they have had unexpectedly good depth so far.

I don’t think there are any teams that can lose three starting position players and replace them with three equally skilled position players because free agents good enough to start for major league teams don’t sign minor league contracts, and the collective bargaining agreement does not just allow major league teams to stash players who don’t have options in the minors.

I too wish Reinsdorf would dip into his personal wealth to sign more top free agents, but top free agents won’t sign minor league contracts.

Comment

Working...
                              X