*Official* 6/8 Eighth Was Great Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 6/8 Eighth Was Great Postgamer

Love turning a memorable performance by an opposing pitcher into one he wish he could have back.

That was a great, great win. To hold Toronto to one run? Kudos to Rodon and the bullpen.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
    All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
    Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Might be one of the best no-decision performances you'll ever see. Rodon worked his ass off to keep this game from getting out-of-hand, and the Sox finally got Ray out of there to get to the pen and blow it open late. Jays left 5 runners on in scoring position with 2 outs and went 1-12 w/RISP.

Vaughn comes a couple of feet from a grand slam, but gets the game-winning RBI to go with the 7th inning HR to provide the margin before the Sox tacked on 4 more in the eighth to give Crochet the W.
      Last edited by Zakath; 06-08-2021, 10:53 PM.
      I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Cleveland wins and remains 4.0 games back.
        Twins lost and are now 13.0 games back again and 12 games under .500
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

Comment

Cleveland 10 - 1 over St Louis.
          Detroit 5 - 3 over Seattle.
          New York Yankees 8 - 4 over Minnesota
          Los Angels Angels 8 - 1 over the Royals
          Last edited by jcw218; 06-08-2021, 11:40 PM. Reason: Update the Angels - Royals game

Comment

That was a lot of fun. Maybe the game of the year in terms of the drama and the happy ending.

Rodon wasn't perfect tonight and he racked up the pitch count early, but he kept coming up with the big pitch to get out of the jam. Really gutsy performance by him to keep the game close and let his team come back.

It's funny how the righty-heavy lineup just had to wait until the LH starter got out of the game before they could break the game open.

Comment

3rd time this year the Sox trailed in the 7th inning or later and won.

Rodon looked solid again, too bad his teammates yet again couldn't give him any run support.

Nice to see Mercedes get a hit.

Always big in my mind to win the first game of a series, means (obviously) you won't get swept and increases the odds of you winning said series pretty dramatically.

Hopefully they get Lynn some early runs tomorrow.
              Last edited by Lipman 1; 06-08-2021, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Great win against a very talented team. Rodon of 2018 most likely does not get out of the 4th. This was a very strong battling performance. Reminds me of vintage Jack McDowell, who would give up 8-9 hits but none when it mattered.

I think Vaughn is starting to really get it.
                (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Heck of a job by the pitching staff. Rodon getting timely DP and tons of K when it mattered. Ruiz and Crochet (got the W) getting meaningful innings in a tight game against a playoff caliber opponent. That will pay dividends down the road. Marshall a small amount of drama but he got out of it. Hendriks nails it down on 11 pitches throwing strikes and forcing contact as he should with a 5-run lead.

Vaughn is everything he was drafted to be. One more biscuit for breakfast we'd be going absolutely ape**** right now. I expect by August his OPS will be solidly north of .800 and I expect the final two months of the season he's going to go a bit nuts but... that's me and I tend to get a bit more giddy than some...

Heck of a game. Tense and close and then broke it open late.

14 games over - new highwater mark. Tony's boys don't quit...

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                    Vaughn is everything he was drafted to be.
                    Incorrect. He is more than what he was drafted to be, because nobody at the draft was projecting him to be a competent outfielder.

"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                    -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post

Incorrect. He is more than what he was drafted to be, because nobody at the draft was projecting him to be a competent outfielder.
                      I sit corrected. A valid point...
                      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                        Heck of a job by the pitching staff. Rodon getting timely DP and tons of K when it mattered. Ruiz and Crochet (got the W) getting meaningful innings in a tight game against a playoff caliber opponent. That will pay dividends down the road. Marshall a small amount of drama but he got out of it. Hendriks nails it down on 11 pitches throwing strikes and forcing contact as he should with a 5-run lead.

Vaughn is everything he was drafted to be. One more biscuit for breakfast we'd be going absolutely ape**** right now. I expect by August his OPS will be solidly north of .800 and I expect the final two months of the season he's going to go a bit nuts but... that's me and I tend to get a bit more giddy than some...

Heck of a game. Tense and close and then broke it open late.

14 games over - new highwater mark. Tony's boys don't quit...
                        I believe, at least hope Vaughn will become more consistent with more professional experience. He's shown a lot, but I had very high expectations for him. Still do. Even, as everyone is so quick to point out, playing out of position. Thing is, he looks like a ballplayer, not someone playing out of position. You can lament that his drive to center in the eighth was just shy of a grand slam an inning after tying the game, but that glosses over what he did. With the bases loaded and nobody out in a tie game, he drove a deep fly to center to give the Sox the lead. With Hendriks in the bullpen, it might be enough, but it left the Sox with first and third with one out. After the first, the runs seemed to come like olives out of the stubborn jar, but it didn't diminish Vaughn's heroics. The second sacrifice fly didn't come until after a single and a triple. Two sacrifice flies in an inning isn't a record (more than a century ago the White Sox once recorded three sacrifice flies in an inning), but when you hold the opposition to one run, it's winning baseball.

This must have been such a frustrating loss for Blue Jays fans. No sympathy, of course, but Toronto realy should have a better record. Tonight the Jays seemed so close to breaking this game open or at least widening their 1-0 lead while the Sox weren't doing a thing. With two out and two on in the seventh, facing the heart of the order, Marshall gets out of trouble by picking off Semien, and the game turns. With one out in the bottom of the inning, Vaughn ties it and Ray's night is over. The Jays' eighth inning call to the bullpen doesn't work, putting the Jays a run behind with the first out and five runs down with the second.

Vaughn was the hero, but the pitching, the pitchers who found ways to work out of trouble, but for a sacrifice fly to the No. 8 hitter in the second, gave him the opportunity. Not giving up the big hits, they kept the game close enough. A rally-arresting pickoff and a solo home run leading to the Jays bringing in a relievrt who didn't have any non-RBI outs in his arm. When the score's tied in the bottom of the eighth with the bases loaded, none out and Hendriks warming up in the bullpen, driving the ball to center is a good plan. It didn't need to go out.

Comment

The Sox are now 31-6 in games when they hit a home run. (They are 6-17 when they don’t hit a home run.)

Their +90 run differential is the best in the majors.

The 4 game lead in the division is the best in the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                            The Sox are now 31-6 in games when they hit a home run. (They are 6-17 when they don’t hit a home run.)

Their +90 run differential is the best in the majors.

The 4 game lead in the division is the best in the majors.
                            I wonder how many more Home Runs we would have if Eloy and Robert were in the lineup and how that would equate to more wins.
                            Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

What a great game . like Jason and Stoney mentioned, it did have the feel of a playoff game . except for a couple of bumps in the road, this season is turning out to be everything that i thought it would.

Comment

Working...
                              X