Atmosphere at Guaranteed Rate Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atmosphere at Guaranteed Rate Field

More and more, I'm seeing photos of beer snakes being formed at our ballpark, hearing random chants from the bleachers and even hearing of opposing home-run balls being thrown back. I'd say this only is happening in the bleachers, but I saw a beer snake being formed on the first-base side during the last game I went to. Pretty soon, the wave will become commonplace if it hasn't already (and yes, I know there have been waves at our park for years).

I understand people need to let loose after being cooped up for a year. I also understand that team success will draw more people, which increases the chances of people not so serious about watching baseball coming to the ballpark. But at this rate, it's only a matter of time before our stadium becomes a Wrigley clone. We pride ourselves in not being Cubs fans, and yet, people at our games are behaving like Cubs fans. Is anyone else noticing this?

It is what it is. Winning attracts the non-baseball fan that wants to be where it is trendy and cool and all the BS that comes with them. We need to just let it go and enjoy the fact that we should have a really fun team on the South Side for at least the next few years.

Comment

Good crowd today over 21 thousand.

Comment

Talk to Blackhawk fans who had to put up with W flags the past decade. Stupid douche culture inevitably follows acclaim and success. Just is what it is.

Comment

It’s Barstool culture.

Comment

Originally posted by MrX View Post
            It’s Barstool culture.
            Exactly. I've noticed it's the Barstool people on Twitter promoting and maybe even encouraging it. Regular sports talk radio is Shakespearean discussion compared to all things Barstool.

Comment

TLR is trying very hard with each and every lineup to end this "people having fun at Sox games" nonsense, I assure you.
              "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
              -- Thucydides

Comment

It would be nice if teams not only had “family friendly/alcohol free” seating sections, but also had other sections where you could enjoy a beer or two but no one would be over-served.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                  It would be nice if teams not only had “family friendly/alcohol free” seating sections, but also had other sections where you could enjoy a beer or two but no one would be over-served.
                  Frater: Send that suggestion along to Brooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                    Would be virtually impossible to implement that policy on the fly during the season when people already have purchased ticket packages throughout the ballpark.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 12-6
                    All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 299-253
                    Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Being an old man without a clue, i had no idea what a beer snake was, until i just looked it up . i've been to a ton of ballgames in my life but never got as drunk as i would when going to a bar or party or whatever . it makes no sense to me to get so drunk at a baseball game that you have no idea what's going on, and possibly don't care . also, i saw a wave either yesterday or the day before, and was surprised to see it . they were doing it while the Orioles where at bat and i was worried that it might interfere with Giolito's concentration, but i guess that he was super locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
                        More and more, I'm seeing photos of beer snakes being formed at our ballpark, hearing random chants from the bleachers and even hearing of opposing home-run balls being thrown back. I'd say this only is happening in the bleachers, but I saw a beer snake being formed on the first-base side during the last game I went to. Pretty soon, the wave will become commonplace if it hasn't already (and yes, I know there have been waves at our park for years).

I understand people need to let loose after being cooped up for a year. I also understand that team success will draw more people, which increases the chances of people not so serious about watching baseball coming to the ballpark. But at this rate, it's only a matter of time before our stadium becomes a Wrigley clone. We pride ourselves in not being Cubs fans, and yet, people at our games are behaving like Cubs fans. Is anyone else noticing this?
                        This brawl got a lot of coverage a few days ago during the Cardinals series.
                        https://wgntv.com/news/brawl-in-stan...me-goes-viral/
                        White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post
                          Being an old man without a clue, i had no idea what a beer snake was, until i just looked it up . i've been to a ton of ballgames in my life but never got as drunk as i would when going to a bar or party or whatever . it makes no sense to me to get so drunk at a baseball game that you have no idea what's going on, and possibly don't care . also, i saw a wave either yesterday or the day before, and was surprised to see it . they were doing it while the Orioles where at bat and i was worried that it might interfere with Giolito's concentration, but i guess that he was super locked in.
                          I'm old also and had no idea what a Beer Snake was, maybe we should watch more Cubs games.
                          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

I'm old also and had no idea what a Beer Snake was...
                            I had to look it up too. But then I remembered a game I attended in 1972. I was on a 16" softball team sponsored by a tavern in Lyons. The team went to the game together in a bus, we had upper-deck, first base side tickets in the first few rows. We kept stacking our beer cups, and by the late innings it was so tall it was teetering. We were later told that they put us on TV, but in those pre-VCR days I never saw it.

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
                            maybe we should watch more Cubs games.
                            Nah.

Comment

The Wave has been going on at Sox games for over 15 years. Hate it, but what can I do?

Comment

Working...
                              X