No announcement yet.

*OFFICIAL* 5/27/21 Cease ‘n’ Da Sixth; 3 Runs in Da 7th SOX 5 BAL 1 Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 5/27/21 Cease ‘n’ Da Sixth; 3 Runs in Da 7th SOX 5 BAL 1 Postgamer

Too close early in the game, but nice to score late. Cease earned the win, and the bullpen held up well.
    Last edited by Frater Perdurabo; 05-27-2021, 10:51 PM.

16 Ks is the club’s new single game season high.

Comment

Marshall and Foster having relatively drama free outings in a close game is very cool. Nice to get some insurance runs.

Cease appears to have a bit of Jon Garland in him. When he gets pissed he just might drill somebody. Great outing after that first for him His breaking stuff was snapping.

Guess the Yerminator doesn't need to be sent down after all.

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Looking at what the Orioles were throwing Mercedes, it looks like they were on page with the scouting report. Maybe there was a belief he wasn't allowed to swing 3-0. He needed to do something tonight. Abreu did as well and came up with a big RBI double that set up the second and third Mercedes RBIs. Garcia and Madrigal had multiple hits in a lineup that didn't have Anderson again. They do miss Anderson, who apparently is not injured but "banged up." Mercedes with his second hit took the pressure off the bullpen, giving Foster an inning. Marshall, though, stepped up in a close game. Lost in the heroic may be that Hamilton picked up the big two-strike, two-out hit to break the tie.

It was a strong game for Cease. With all the strikeouts he picked up, he wasn't going to get past the sixth. Fortunately he stayed in long enough for the Sox to score their second run so he could get the win.

Comment

A fine start to what is hopefully an excellent weekend. Sox need momentum going into Cleveland Monday.

Bullpen finally looked tonight like all the people were predicting.

Hopefully they get to Harvey who has been up and down, some good games, some bad with Baltimore.

Comment

Cease ‘n’ Da Sixth
            I see what you did there.

Comment

Man, Abreu can stretch in ways that a big 34 year old first baseman just shouldn't be able to stretch. The Sox infield defense gets much weaker when a younger guy subs in for him.
              "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
              -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                Man, Abreu can stretch in ways that a big 34 year old first baseman just shouldn't be able to stretch. The Sox infield defense gets much weaker when a younger guy subs in for him.
                His defense got a lot better after he slimmed down heading into 2020. He wasn’t making these plays a few years ago, at least not with regularity.
                Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 05-28-2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

His defense got a lot better after he skimmed down heading into 2020. He wasn’t making these plays a few years ago, at least not with regularity.
                  Running the bases like a young colt, too.
                  Best reason Rick Hahn should be out of work? Statistics.

Comment

With 8 hits and a couple of walks in his past 3 games, Madrigal is now up to .306/.353/.413 on the season. That .765 OPS will definitely play, as will the .107 ISO. He went through a bit of a slump a week or two ago but has bounced back strong.

His splits are heavily skewed towards LHP though (.994 OPS vs. .670 against RHP).

But that's right, Madrigal has a .994 OPS against LHP: .383/.420/.574. Smallish sample size (50 plate appearances) but still I never thought I'd see anything resembling a .574 slugging percentage connected to Madrigal.
                    Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 05-28-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Cease has been a top-10 pitcher in the AL in a lot of statistical categories:

https://twitter.com/jlazowski14/stat...808053251?s=20

Comment

Cease has been a top-10 pitcher in the AL in a lot of statistical categories:

https://twitter.com/jlazowski14/stat...808053251?s=20
                        We have a World Series rotation. But with Robert and Eloy out, we do not have a World Series starting lineup.

Here’s a fun question: In a postseason series, how do we stack our rotation and who gets bumped to the bullpen?

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

We have a World Series rotation. But with Robert and Eloy out, we do not have a World Series starting lineup.

Here’s a fun question: In a postseason series, how do we stack our rotation and who gets bumped to the bullpen?
                          I honestly think we should coast to the division title, and by then I expect Robert and Eloy will be back.

RE: the postseason rotation, Rodon, Lynn, and Gio are locks (assuming they're all healthy). Whether you go with Keuchel or Cease will depend a lot on what happens over the next 4 months, so I'm not going to hazard a guess now.

Comment

I honestly think we should coast to the division title, and by then I expect Robert and Eloy will be back.

RE: the postseason rotation, Rodon, Lynn, and Gio are locks (assuming they're all healthy). Whether you go with Keuchel or Cease will depend a lot on what happens over the next 4 months, so I'm not going to hazard a guess now.
                            I think Robert returns but not Eloy. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

That’s really not that difficult of a question to answer. If Carlos Rodon is going to do this all year, he’s obviously the Game 1 starter. Lynn 2, Giolito 3, Cease 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X