Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential Trade Targets

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Potential Trade Targets

    Back in Spring Training, who would have guessed the starting rotation would be the strength of the team? The rotation ought not to be wasted, so it’s worthwhile to upgrade the roster to shore up weaknesses.

    To me, the biggest weakness is the lack of left-handed run producing power outside of Moncada and occasionally Grandal. Moreover, the position with the greatest opportunity to upgrade is the outfield.

    Vaughn hits LHP with authority, but RHP eats him alive. Conversely, Eaton hits RHP well, but struggles against LHP. There’s the making of a platoon here, at least for this season. So how about getting a LH hitting OF who can play RF?

    I think there are a few clear trade targets:

    Joey Gallo, Texas Rangers: A true three outcome player; plays solid RF defense; his LH pull power would take advantage of the apparent wind currents to RF at Guaranteed Rate Field. He strikes out a ton and the shift suppresses his average on ground balls, but the Sox have a number of table setters who can get on base ahead of him. The Rangers are familiar with our system given the recent deals between the clubs (Mazara for Steele Walker, and Lynn for Dunning).

    Brian Reynolds, Pittsburgh Pirates: Switch hitter capable of playing multiple positions; hits for good average and also walks; relies on high exit velocity line drives to sustain a high BABIP. The fact that he’s still pre-arbitration means he’d cost a lot in trade, but even if/when Cespedes and/or Colas are ready to assume an OF spot, at worst Reynolds would be a better, younger, cheaper upgrade over Leury Garcia. Probably would cost the most in trade but Pittsburgh often takes quantity over quality when acquiring prospects, which lines up with what we could offer.

    Tyler Naquin, Cincinnati Reds: Should be familiar to Sox fans given that he played with Cleveland previously. Plays all over the outfield and as a LH hitter he hits RHP better. He’s slugging .528 so far this year. Arb-eligible for 2022. The Reds have a surplus of OFs but they probably want MLB-ready pitching in return since they aren’t buried in the standings.

    Charlie Blackmon, Colorado Rockies: Turns 35 on July 1 and has player options for 2022 ($21M) and 2023 ($10M), which likely means the Rockies would let him go for cheap. Spray charts suggest he’d be able to take advantage of the wind to RF at GRF. Also, there’s a lot less ground to cover defensively at GRF than at Coors, so his defense would play up. The fact that they are totally buried under the Giants, Padres, and Dodgers suggests they might be willing to accept a high-risk/high-upside A-ball prospect in return.

    What other interesting LH RFs might be available?

  • #2
    Corey Dickerson, if someone ever takes control of the NL East and forces the Marlins into sell mode.

    Comment


    • #3
      Right now still to early to get help (unless you are the Yankees of course). It may be easier to get another bullpen arm right now as opposed to an outfielder.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
        Charlie Blackmon, Colorado Rockies: Turns 35 on July 1 and has player options for 2022 ($21M) and 2023 ($10M), which likely means the Rockies would let him go for cheap.
        I have to imagine these options would be a complete deal-breaker for JR.
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

        Comment


        • #5
          Im more interested in who the Sox can afford to give up. Then it would be easier to see who they possibly could get.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't see the team trading for anyone. They'll stay the course and hope Eloy/Robert can get back in time for the stretch run in August or September.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
              I have to imagine these options would be a complete deal-breaker for JR.
              Probably so. Either that or give up a bigger prospect haul to get Colorado to send cash. (Not that I’m in favor of that.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Thinking about this a little more and unless we could get one of those options for really cheap, I don't think the team needs to pull the trigger on a trade. Not yet.

                Consider the fact the team is banged up, not fully playing to its potential, and yet we're still in 1st place in a relatively weak division. Cleveland looks like they're the only real threat. KC and Detroit are bad and Minnesota looks like they might be terrible for the long haul. Even with Cleveland nipping at our heels I think we have just enough to get hot over the summer and maintain a lead until Eloy and Robert come back.

                IF Hahn could fleece Colorado for Blackmon the way St. Louis did for Arenado, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately Jeff Bridich is no longer there to be taken advantage of. Holy crap did he run that franchise into the ground.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As of this night May 25, to me, these teams are "done" so if you are hoping to make a deal this early in the season you look to these clubs to see if they have anything you want:

                  Baltimore
                  Detroit (although I don't think they'd deal in their own division)
                  Angels
                  Pittsburgh
                  Colorado
                  Arizona

                  Now who on those teams could the Sox use/want?????

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ketel Marte. Not sure why the Dbacks would do it, or if we would even want to outbid the Yanks if they come knocking.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mark Gonzales is back in the press box, writing for The Daily Herald. Among the possible LH OFs he identifies is Arizona’s David Peralta. He’s principally a LF now; could he play RF for the Sox? Or could he platoon with Vaughn in LF?
                      The trade deadline is a ways off, but there's no time like the present to think what the White Sox might need for a playoff push.
                      Last edited by Frater Perdurabo; 05-28-2021, 08:00 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                        Mark Gonzales is back in the press box, writing for The Daily Herald. Among the possible LH OFs he identifies is Arizona’s David Peralta. He’s principally a LF now; could he play RF for the Sox? Or could he platoon with Vaughn in LF?
                        He has 176 career games in RF, but none since 2018. Career .305/.358/.506 vs. RHP, but much worse vs. LHP. Definitely would be a great fit to complement the lineup, he'd start against every LHP in one of the corners (I imagine Vaughn and Eaton would split time against RHP), and against LHP you go Vaughn/Engel (once Robert is back). He's probably more realistic than Hanniger/Blackmon and would help more than Gallo.

                        Gonzalez also suggests the Sox could be in the market for a catcher, but with Rodon looking so good when paired with Collins I don't know if you want to mess with that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

                          He has 176 career games in RF, but none since 2018. Career .305/.358/.506 vs. RHP, but much worse vs. LHP. Definitely would be a great fit to complement the lineup, he'd start against every LHP in one of the corners (I imagine Vaughn and Eaton would split time against RHP), and against LHP you go Vaughn/Engel (once Robert is back). He's probably more realistic than Hanniger/Blackmon and would help more than Gallo.

                          Gonzalez also suggests the Sox could be in the market for a catcher, but with Rodon looking so good when paired with Collins I don't know if you want to mess with that.
                          While Vaughn hasn't been all that great vs righties so far, I think he should still get the vast majority of starts in LF in those matchups. He's likely only to get better and needs to get that experience for his development for later this season and beyond. I think RF can be a decent platoon of Garcia/Eaton, once Engel is back within a week taking over full time CF. Though, if Peralta is really cheap as far as prospects go, he could certainly be a valuable depth piece.

                          I ultimately think they will get an upgrade at backup C in July. I'm not sure how much Collins is a reason for Rodon's success, or that getting someone better would make him any less effective.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I guess a lot depends on the prognosis for Eloy and Luis. But if the Sox are inclined to trade for an outfielder, do it now not at the deadline! I don't think they need another catcher.

                            2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 12-6
                            All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 299-253
                            Posts on old WSI: 7344

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post

                              While Vaughn hasn't been all that great vs righties so far, I think he should still get the vast majority of starts in LF in those matchups. He's likely only to get better and needs to get that experience for his development for later this season and beyond. I think RF can be a decent platoon of Garcia/Eaton, once Engel is back within a week taking over full time CF. Though, if Peralta is really cheap as far as prospects go, he could certainly be a valuable depth piece.

                              I ultimately think they will get an upgrade at backup C in July. I'm not sure how much Collins is a reason for Rodon's success, or that getting someone better would make him any less effective.
                              Teams are probably somewhere around 2/3 right-handed in terms of starting pitchers (on average). So if Vaughn gets 50% of the starts against RHP, and 100% of the starts against LHP, that means he starts in 2/3 of all games. I think that is a good balance for him, based on where he is in his development, and the fact that he has struggled against RHP and we still need to win these games. Of course if he starts to turn his numbers against RHP around, he will play more than that, but if not I expect him to get more days off against RHP once Engel and others return.

                              OF playing time breakdown with Peralta (or a Peralta-like addition that is better against RHP and can play RF/LF) in the fold:

                              Without Robert:
                              vs. RHP: 50% Vaughn/Engel/Peralta, 50% Peralta/Leury/Eaton
                              vs. LHP: Vaughn/Engel/Peralta

                              With Robert:
                              vs. RHP: 50% Vaughn/Robert/Peralta, 50% Peralta/Robert/Eaton
                              vs. LHP: Vaughn/Robert/Engel
                              Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 05-28-2021, 10:51 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X