Happy Anniversary "Minnie"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Anniversary "Minnie"...

70 years ago today, he made his White Sox debut. Sun-Times with a very nice story on it. I supplied DVS some of the details:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-...-mickey-mantle

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    70 years ago today, he made his White Sox debut. Sun-Times with a very nice story on it. I supplied DVS some of the details:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-...-mickey-mantle
    So many wonderful memories watching Minnie play, he put the Go in Go Go Sox. To this day I feel so sad that Minnie missed out playing on the great 1959 AL Pennant winning team but would they have won it without Cy Young winner Early Wynn and Al Smith who had some great heroics in 59 as they were the 2 players that the Sox traded Minnie for to the Indians before the 1958 season.

On another point, the powers who control the HOF need to enshrine Minnie without any further delay and while they are at it they can also add Billy Pierce.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-01-2021, 07:35 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

A definite HOFer. Make it happen MLB!
      (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Minnie was special. I remember as a kid he was the first player that ever signed a baseball for me that still sits on my shelf today. I remember learning how how many decades he played in 1980 when I was a kid starting to follow the Sox. Just a classy guy.
        Last edited by 34rancher; 05-02-2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X