Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How excited are you about the White Sox and Baseball starting up again.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How excited are you about the White Sox and Baseball starting up again.

    I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or being depressed from the Virus and all the crap going on in the country right now but I just can't get excited right now with the return of the game. Maybe it's because the game is going to be played in empty stadiums. Maybe if the Sox get off to a great start I will get excited again. I'm not sure a lot of you are that excited either based on what I've read and the lack of threads here on the boards.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-21-2020, 04:30 PM.
    Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

  • #2
    Excited!

    We can’t get better without playing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post
      Excited!

      We can’t get better without playing.
      I know I was excited about the team before things turned to ****, I still think they will make the playoffs.
      Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
        I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or being depressed from the Virus and all the crap going on in the country right now but I just can't get excited right now with the return of the game. Maybe it's because the game is going to be played in empty stadiums. Maybe if the Sox get off to a great start I will get excited again. I'm not sure a lot of you are that excited either based on what I've read and the lack of threads here on the boards.
        It doesn't feel like a real season. During my physical therapy session this morning, I saw baseball clips on television that didn't feel like real baseball. Where I live, White Sox baseball is always rare on television, but with the rule changes the baseball I would be able to watch would feel like less than real baseball in empty ballparks, cutting corners to get the games in. I'm not sure that I'll even check the scores or standings on a daily basis, not unlike the exhibition season. Maybe if there wasn't so much else to worry about, it would be different, but if there wasn't all this other stuff, this wouldn't be the reality of 2020 baseball.

        Maybe if things go well, this season might take on the feel of a tournament, perhaps one that could interest me, but I'm not close to being excited.

        Comment


        • #5
          I just got excited about being able to watch the game with my kids this Friday. But I'm not over-excited for the season simply because I don't think it is going to finish. Plus, sports fandom has really taken a backseat for me since COVID. That said, Go SOX!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm probably more excited than usual, because we haven't seen baseball in a long time and (and good baseball in almost a decade).

            I also think the 60 game schedule is going to be exciting. I've always believed the NFL had the best regular season just because it's so short, that every game is meaningful and important. I'm pretty excited to see how that all plays out, and for that same reason I disagree with those who say that the World Series winner this year should have an asterisk. If anything, the World Series is going to be tougher to win this year than ever, with all the teams who have a shot and a limited number of games.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TDog View Post

              It doesn't feel like a real season. During my physical therapy session this morning, I saw baseball clips on television that didn't feel like real baseball. Where I live, White Sox baseball is always rare on television, but with the rule changes the baseball I would be able to watch would feel like less than real baseball in empty ballparks, cutting corners to get the games in. I'm not sure that I'll even check the scores or standings on a daily basis, not unlike the exhibition season. Maybe if there wasn't so much else to worry about, it would be different, but if there wasn't all this other stuff, this wouldn't be the reality of 2020 baseball.

              Maybe if things go well, this season might take on the feel of a tournament, perhaps one that could interest me, but I'm not close to being excited.
              I think it's understandable for some fans, especially old school fans and traditionalists to feel that way, but the players are going to treat it like a real season so the competition in each game will be genuine and the chance to make the playoffs in a short track season will drive them to play harder earlier. So, for me, it's great to see real sports competition regardless of how I feel about the season itself (and I'm fine with it, personally).

              It's great to have live professional sports back again and I'm very excited about the future of the team in general and looking forward to watching all this young talent drive the team to success in this and coming seasons. So, I'm as excited about the team as I've been in a long time and right now in this short season, anything is possible, so that adds an element I probably wouldn't have expected in a longer season.
              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KW1989 View Post
                I'm probably more excited than usual, because we haven't seen baseball in a long time and (and good baseball in almost a decade).

                I also think the 60 game schedule is going to be exciting. I've always believed the NFL had the best regular season just because it's so short, that every game is meaningful and important. I'm pretty excited to see how that all plays out, and for that same reason I disagree with those who say that the World Series winner this year should have an asterisk. If anything, the World Series is going to be tougher to win this year than ever, with all the teams who have a shot and a limited number of games.
                The 60-game schedule (assuming the truncated season doesn't get shut down) is going a long way in making it meaningless as a season, more suited to a world cup than a real baseball season. At least it wasn't set at 56 games to commemorate Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak. Boston, Chicago, New York and other cities are canceling their marathons this year instead of reducing them to 10K fun runs. I have no interest in/don't watch the NFL and have always resented football fans' suggestions that baseball could be improved by by being more like the NFL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TDog View Post

                  The 60-game schedule (assuming the truncated season doesn't get shut down) is going a long way in making it meaningless as a season, more suited to a world cup than a real baseball season. At least it wasn't set at 56 games to commemorate Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak. Boston, Chicago, New York and other cities are canceling their marathons this year instead of reducing them to 10K fun runs. I have no interest in/don't watch the NFL and have always resented football fans' suggestions that baseball could be improved by by being more like the NFL.
                  I'm tepid about the NFL too. So these few snatches of White Sox baseball are about the only thing that puts a smile on my face these days. Yeah, I know it's a travesty and I almost don't care. Can't watch cat videos all the time, can we?
                  Perfect is the enemy of good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Very much looking forward to this White Sox season. I think the shortened season benefits the Sox as a single hot streak gets magnified. The players just have to be smart and minimize their risk to virus exposure. As far as I'm concerned this is a real season, no asterisk required.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Watching baseball these past two nights was the most fun I have had in months, and these games didn’t even count.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

                        I think it's understandable for some fans, especially old school fans and traditionalists to feel that way, but the players are going to treat it like a real season so the competition in each game will be genuine and the chance to make the playoffs in a short track season will drive them to play harder earlier. So, for me, it's great to see real sports competition regardless of how I feel about the season itself (and I'm fine with it, personally).

                        It's great to have live professional sports back again and I'm very excited about the future of the team in general and looking forward to watching all this young talent drive the team to success in this and coming seasons. So, I'm as excited about the team as I've been in a long time and right now in this short season, anything is possible, so that adds an element I probably wouldn't have expected in a longer season.
                        I'm not sure that players are treated it like a real season. The up-and-coming players have something to prove, regardless of their contracts. There are veterans who haven't just opted out but have decided to undergo surgery that they might otherwise have postponed. Maybe the White Sox have more players treating this as a real season than other teams. The Cubans played shorter seasons than Americans do, so there is that. Man-soo Lee used to say (probably still does) the American baseball season was too long and eventually returned to South Korea. I don't know how much of youth and foreign influences will play into it. The negotiations to get the season started didn't involve enthusiasm for the shortened season, and diminished paychecks that go with playing a short season had a lot to do with that. The level of seriousness among players may vary, and that could diminish the importance of achievements for purposes of future salary negotiations. As a fan, it doesn't feel real to me.

                        I also have enough going on that I haven't missed live sports. The only live sports that means anything to me is live baseball. I was excited for opening day 2014, even 2015, but I haven't watched spring exhibition games since I was watching them live, and I lack the inspiration to watch baseball on television this season.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
                          Very much looking forward to this White Sox season. I think the shortened season benefits the Sox as a single hot streak gets magnified. The players just have to be smart and minimize their risk to virus exposure. As far as I'm concerned this is a real season, no asterisk required.
                          I remember back in 1981when the players went on strike in June, they came back in August and it was decided to have a split season with winners from the first half and winners from the second half (which was 53 games for the Sox ) meet in the playoffs. Tha Sox were very good before the strike going 31-22 but not good enough to make the playoffs. I attended the last game of the first half when the Sox beat the Yankees. I'll never forget sitting in Comiskey after the game with my cousin as the Thursday night crowd of 33,000 filed out of the park, we were just about the last ones to leave and were so sad as we didn't know when we would see another game, my cousin turned to me almost in tears and said God, I love this place. Anyway after the strike the Sox were pretty bad and finished 23-30. Let's hope they do better in this upcoming shortened season.
                          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-21-2020, 06:33 PM.
                          Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am more juiced than I've been in years. The club is on the uptick. We won't have 3 automatic outs like the last few years. The new vets are the right kind of additions.

                            There's nothing else going on. My 20-year-old son is home and way into it. I bought the mlb.tv Sox package for $50.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Very excited. This team looks ready to make noise, and we have talent that will be with us for years. They're built for a short run, so anything is possible.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X