Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been going to games in person?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone been going to games in person?

    I am visiting my parents in Chicago this month and I just bought tickets for Wednesday's game against Detroit, a Carlos Rodon start. I have not been to a game at Sox Park since 2012.

    Anyone been to a game this season? What should I expect, public health wise?
    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
    -- Thucydides

  • #2
    Been there.

    The Sox medical/training staff is destroying the physical health of the players, but the fans are safe.

    Fans have to wear a mask and stay in their color area of the park, no walking around on the concourse (your ticket, which is online, is color coded and instructs you as to which gate you will enter).

    No cash sales, all plastic for food and drink. You can only go to the concession stands in your color area and there are no vendors in the seats.

    Check out this site for all information you are seeking (the protocols may change as we get deeper into the season). Official Chicago White Sox Website | MLB.com
    Last edited by Dumpjerry; 04-25-2021, 09:51 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/ballpark/health-and-safety

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
        Fans have to wear a mask and stay in their color area of the park, no walking around on the concourse (your ticket, which is online, is color coded and instructs you as to which gate you will enter).
        FWIW, while there are plenty of reminders of the mask requirement, there has been little to no enforcement that I have seen in the 4 games I've been to.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

          FWIW, while there are plenty of reminders of the mask requirement, there has been little to no enforcement that I have seen in the 4 games I've been to.
          Probably they don't want to have ushers confronting fans which might lead to violent altercations. They could load the concourse with trained security personnel to enforce compliance when not in the seats, but that might lead to a lot of bad publicity when videos start hitting the Internet. I assume people are not required to have the mask on while sitting in their seat as they are allowed to remove them when eating or drinking and only in close contact with the people they came with.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



          Comment


          • #6
            That's unfortunate to hear - I am going with my wife who becomes very angry when she sees people not complying with mask rules. If somebody near us is not wearing a mask odds are good that I will have to hear about it for 9 innings.
            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
            -- Thucydides

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
              That's unfortunate to hear - I am going with my wife who becomes very angry when she sees people not complying with mask rules. If somebody near us is not wearing a mask odds are good that I will have to hear about it for 9 innings.
              The seats around you, in front and behind, are zip tied so nobody sits near you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Anyone know what percent of the 40,000 seats at GRF are being sold?
                Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
                  Anyone know what percent of the 40,000 seats at GRF are being sold?
                  Yesterday attendance was ~8500 or 21%. I don't know if they sold every seat they were allowed or not.
                  Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

                    Yesterday attendance was ~8500 or 21%. I don't know if they sold every seat they were allowed or not.
                    I was at the game last night. An attendance number wasn't posted but 8500 sounds about right. The city or state currently has a 20% capacity limit for outdoor events and I think there's a little wiggle room in there. Everybody had masks and had them off while eating and drinking (kind of sloppy if you try it with the mask).

                    Seats are sold in blocks of between 2 and 6 and are widely spaced with unsold seats locked up with heavy-duty zip ties. The setup is not oppressive. It's surprising how loud 8,000 people can be in a tight ball game.

                    HF, you'll have a great time. Going to any ballgame is good for the soul.
                    - tebman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was also at last nights game as I'm in town for a family matter. I am fully vaxed and a strict mask wearer, though I have learned it is better for my health (and quite frankly my safety) to stop chirping at folks not wearing masks near me in stores and such. My wife and I took the quarantine pretty serious and still have yet to dine out at a restaurant since last March. I did not feel uncomfortable at the game, I love the space in between the seats (this is actually my ideal ballpark experience) as it is so much better than people sitting on top of you.

                      Ladies restroom was fairly empty when I went in, use your credit card for all foot and bevy, you can pre order in the Ballpark app or just order at the counter and pay with card. There was even a 'grab and go' canned beverage area in my section that provided a quick beer refill option.

                      We enjoyed ourselves, we were outdoors and it was not crowded. We're even eyeballing another game this Friday night before we leave the region for awhile.

                      If people not in masks are a deal breaker, the game experience might not be for you. I've made my peace with it.
                      Last edited by Streets; 04-25-2021, 06:05 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Today, Fauci said that the guidance is probably going to change soon, allowing no masks at outdoor events. The research is pretty solid that there is little to no transmission at outdoor events. Now, whether states and localities will change their rules immediately is another issue.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
                          Today, Fauci said that the guidance is probably going to change soon, allowing no masks at outdoor events. The research is pretty solid that there is little to no transmission at outdoor events. Now, whether states and localities will change their rules immediately is another issue.
                          This guidance just came through, very clutch timing on the CDC's part. Now my wife is far less likely to get upset if somebody near us doesn't wear a mask.

                          I'm going to tonight's Carlos Rodon start. Gonna grab a Yerminator burger on the way to the park. Didn't actually bring any Sox gear with me to Chicago because I was not expecting to see a game, lol.
                          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                          -- Thucydides

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HomeFish View Post

                            This guidance just came through, very clutch timing on the CDC's part. Now my wife is far less likely to get upset if somebody near us doesn't wear a mask.

                            I'm going to tonight's Carlos Rodon start. Gonna grab a Yerminator burger on the way to the park. Didn't actually bring any Sox gear with me to Chicago because I was not expecting to see a game, lol.
                            When you are in your seats, you'll be pretty isolated thanks to the zip ties around you (the game I went to did not have a lot of people on the concourse. Keep in mind there will be only about 8,000 fans in the stands overall and your color section will likely have less than 1,000 fans). The Sports Depot is open to pick up a hat or jersey or complete uniform before the game (it is in Lot B next to Gate 5).

                            Oh, regarding the zip ties. They are heavy duty. If someone wanted to cut them, they would need something that would not be allowed past the metal detectors when you enter the stadium (hunting knife, bolt cutters, Phaser from Star Trek).

                            Have fun tonight! I'm there this coming Sunday for Giolito's next outing unless he is sent to Charlotte for last night.......
                            Last edited by Dumpjerry; 04-28-2021, 01:34 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well we went to Freddie's to have the Yerminator burger, we went to Guaranteed Rate Field, we sat in Section 118 for about an hour before it was called. Had the loaded Irish Nacho fries and a hot chocolate.

                              Friday is my last day in Chicago, so I am going to tomorrow's double-header come hell or high water. I haven't been to a double-header at Sox Park since 2000 when the Sox lost both games against A-Rod and the Mariners. I think a young Jon Garland gave up a grand slam to A-Rod.
                              "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                              -- Thucydides

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X