*Official* 4/23 Over .500! Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 4/23 Over .500! Postgamer

The pitching could have been better, but can't argue with the offense. Oh, and Yermin remains the man.

Vaughn had a nice night. Yoan woke up. Mercedes is simply the bomb and Hendricks... wow... just wow...

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Happy that we finally broke through the .500 wall, but concerned about our leaky bullpen.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 7-2
      All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 294-249
      Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Let’s hope we now don’t flirt with .500 until opening day next season. Let’s go...Mercedes is so much fun to watch. And the chains he was wearing in the post game interview had me wondering if Mr. T knows he’s missing some. He just makes me laugh and is such an unreal story. When Moncada hit the Hr, I think Yermin was more excited than Moncada. Lol. This team needs to giddy up.

Comment

High-water mark for hits this year, with 6 in the lineup having multi-hit nights (Anderson 2-5, Moncada 3-4, Robert 2-5, Mercedes 4-4, Vaughn 2-4, Madrigal 2-4). Robert has reached base via hit or walk in 17 of the 19 games this season (ironically, we won both games where he did not, 4/13 vs Cleveland and 4/18 in the first game of the double-header at Boston). Only 8 K's from the lineup, continuing a definite improvement in the team over the past few years (Sox came in 8th in MLB in walks and 8th in fewest K's).

Used 6 pitchers, but we have a little luxury with an off-day Monday. Hendriks showing some Jake Peavy-level intensity on the mound, with all 5 outs being K's.

Unless the Padres commit an error tonight, we now lead the league with 19 errors in 19 games.

Sucks that it took 19 games to get over .500, but it's a definite improvement over the last full season (2019), where we were only .500 twice during the season (3-3 and 34-34) and never made it over .500.
          I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Random musings...

Ugly, UGLY win but finally they are over the .500 mark.

Two more errors tonight, 19 in 19 games, that's Little League-like. Guess they didn't work on fundamentals for six weeks in the spring.

Cease? I have no idea what to expect out of him anymore. 12 walks in 17 innings isn't going to cut it.

Marshall looks totally lost, not even close to the pitcher he was the previous two seasons, maybe he's regressing back to what he was for a lot of his career. Can't rely on him at all right now.

At some point, sooner rather than later Hahn and TLR are going to have to do something about this bullpen that supposedly was going to be so good. Right now, they "ain't."

Jose and Grandal still not hitting, maybe it was the knee injury that Yaz had in the spring. They sure took a long time with it which makes me think it was more serious than first thought or said.

Regarding Engel, TLR said no specific timetable for his return but that he's "making progress" and should return in early May.

Hope Gio can rebound from the disaster Monday and help the Sox win the series on Saturday.
            Last edited by Lipman 1; 04-23-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
              Random musings...

Two more errors tonight, 19 in 19 games, that's Little League-like. Guess they didn't work on fundamentals for six weeks in the spring.

Cease? I have no idea what to expect out of him anymore. 12 walks in 17 innings isn't going to cut it.

Marshall looks totally lost, not even close to the pitcher he was the previous two seasons, maybe he's regressing back to what he was for a lot of his career. Can't rely on him at all right now.

Jose and Grandal still not hitting, maybe it was the knee injury that Yaz had in the spring. They sure took a long time with it which makes me think it was more serious than first thought or said.

Regarding Engel, TLR said no specific timetable for his return but that he's "making progress" and should return in early May.

Hope Gio can rebound from the disaster Monday and help the Sox win the series on Saturday.
              Translation:

OMG! The Sox scored 9 with several young talents continuing to show signs of being the players we hoped, and the Sox broke through to get above .500

SOME ONE JUST KILL ME!
              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Random musings...

At some point, sooner rather than later Hahn and TLR are going to have to do something about this bullpen that supposedly was going to be so good. Right now, they "ain't."

As for Marshall, he looks like he’s gained weight since last year. I have to wonder if some kind of conditioning wouldn’t help him.

Comment

Very encouraging to see the offense producing well, especially Robert and Moncada . i keep waiting for Yermin to come back to earth . can't help but like the kid, and hope that he stays in orbit.

Comment

Random musings...

Comment

Texas is projected to be one the worst teams in baseball this year. Bottom feeding is good.

Comment

La Russa on Yermin after the game: “There’s a possibility he’s for real.” I think that makes 5 games so far with 3+ hits, which is insane in April.

It’s nice to see some of the bats like Moncada and Vaughn start to produce. Moncada looks comfortable in the 3 spot, and with Abreu still scuffling (other than his one monster game) that’ll probably stick for a little while.

RE: the bullpen, the only guy I’m really worried about is Bummer. He is getting hit really hard every time he goes out there, by lefties as well as righties. Marshall didn’t have a great night but I’m not as worried, I think he was just left out a little too long. But that’s what’s going to happen when your starter only goes 3.1. I agree with whoever said in the game thread that La Russa needs to trust Cease to get out of his own jams so he can get deeper into games. Cease is actually really good at escaping damage when he’s in tough spots. With Keuchel going today, we’ll probably see Kopech for a couple innings.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                          RE: the bullpen, the only guy I’m really worried about is Bummer. He is getting hit really hard every time he goes out there, by lefties as well as righties.
                          Small sample size so far this year, but he's usually sub-.200 from both righties and lefties, and this year lefties hit him at .300 and righties at .313. He's also walked 5 RH hitters already this year vs. 4 K's (1/4 vs. lefties). Also hitters are .333 against him with men on and .364 w/RISP. (2019, those numbers were .181 and .230).

I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Sox bullpen let a lot of no-name guys have some amazing performances against them. Obviously a ton of good news on the offensive side of the ball. Grandal haters are going to be up in arms over that passed ball no doubt but he also had some great frame jobs that helped to end innings. Hopefully finally being over .500 is going to break a psychological barrier or two.

Is Zack Collins still on this team? Haven't heard much from him in a while.
                            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                            -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                              Sox bullpen let a lot of no-name guys have some amazing performances against them. Obviously a ton of good news on the offensive side of the ball. Grandal haters are going to be up in arms over that passed ball no doubt but he also had some great frame jobs that helped to end innings. Hopefully finally being over .500 is going to break a psychological barrier or two.

Is Zack Collins still on this team? Haven't heard much from him in a while.
                              In the ninth, there was a pitch I think to the first batter that definitely caught the inside part of the plate, but was called a ball. But then a couple pitches later there was a pitch that was below the zone that Grandal framed perfectly and it was called a strike. Even Hendriks was surprised - after the pitch he wheeled around and faced the camera (away from the ump) and he did a little eye roll that was pretty funny if you caught it. Later in the inning, he threw the same low fastball, got the same framing from Grandal and the same call (strike). Grandal is really good at framing the bottom of the zone - he does a little twist of the mitt but keeps his arm in the same place to bring the ball up into the zone.

I wonder how much of Grandal’s inconsistent performance is a result of his knee injury from spring training. La Russa said a couple days ago they were taking it easy on his knees, which is why we were seeing Collins more than expected early on, but that Grandal is ready for a full workload now. I’m not convinced he’s 100% though. Defensively he’s getting used to a new one-knee crouch, which is supposed to protect his knee, and is likely responsible for some of the defensive gaffes. Offensively, last night he had one really awkward swing where it looked like his knee buckled out from under him. Hopefully he gets right soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X