• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official 4-15 Same issues again...*

1-8 with runners in scoring position...
    Two more errors...
    A bad baserunning mistake...

Back to under .500 and now have to go to a Red-Hot (no pun intended) Boston team that's won nine of 10

Had really hoped Rodon's no-no would start a solid run by the Sox. That notion quickly died.

Wasted two excellent pitching performances in this series because like teams in the past few years they just can't hit. (Save for the 2020 team in a most bizarre bastardized season).
    Last edited by Lipman 1; 04-15-2021, 08:15 PM.

I didn’t get to watch the game but I did just now see the highlight of Eaton getting pushed off second base and called out. Totally bush league.

**** Cleveland

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      1-8 with runners in scoring position...
      Two more errors...
      A bad baserunning mistake...

Back to under .500 and now have to go to a Red-Hot (no pun intended) Boston team that's won nine of 10)

Had really hoped Rodon's no-no would start a solid run by the Sox. That notion quickly died.
      These guys have a very hard time winning 2 games in a row, did it once against the Mariners and thats it.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
        I didn’t get to watch the game but I did just now see the highlight of Eaton getting pushed off second base and called out. Totally bush league.

**** Cleveland
        The "push" in my opinion wasn't that bad the fielder's leg moved and Eaton's hand got knocked off the base.

But the main question to me is why was he trying to stretch the single so early in the game when you could have had runners on first and third with nobody out?

Last edited by Lipman 1; 04-15-2021, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Eaton apologized after the game apparently.

Comment

Feast or famine with this bunch:

5 games scoring 6+ runs...5-0

5 games scoring 3- runs...0-5
            Last edited by Lipman 1; 04-15-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

If my count is correct this team has had 5 chances this year to go above .500 and has failed every time. Really makes you wonder. You couldn't ask for better pitching and yet they can only muster a split. Abreu and Grandal have got to start carrying their weight. Lineup has too many holes otherwise. Also we won't go anywhere if the defense doesn't improve. Not too cheery of an outlook when you have 4 with Boston on the road.

Comment

This team misses a guy like Eloy, greatly, as they start cold. Sucks he is starting slow like so many others, but keep riding Vaughn in LF and he will come around. Engel's mend is near and that is big to push him.

TA will make a difference and help the big boys get it going. The big picture is still here, just have to wake up as we get healthy.

Comment

The "push" in my opinion wasn't that bad the fielder's leg moved and Eaton's hand got knocked off the base.

But the main question to me is why was he trying to stretch the single so early in the game when you could have had runners on first and third with nobody out?
                  The fielder dropped his leg to block the base. Go in feet first and break some ankles. Go in head first and get tagged out.
                  Best reason Rick Hahn should be out of work? Statistics.

Comment

The fielder used his whole body to push Eaton off the base. It was deliberate.

You’re downplaying it because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Comment

This season this team is arguably the best at pitching in all of baseball but it doesn't mean much when the offense and baserunning have been below average and the defense has been dreadful. 3rd in team errors this season. The Padres and Angels are the only teams with more errors but they've been able to mitigate mistakes on offense.

The pitching has carried this team so far. I think (hope) the hitting will get better but the defense/baserunning blunders need to stop. Madrigal was supposed to be some sort of defensive/baserunning wizard according to some but so far I've seen none of that.

Comment

One of the reasons that I thought we were a year or two away was the lineup. Teams have made the adjustment to Robert, the jury is still out on Vaughn and Madrigal, and Eloy is hurt. Our Cuban reinforcements don't come in until 2023 (if I'm wrong, correct me on that), but they do give me plenty of optimism. Although Kopech has looked real good so far, and Crochet is going to have a hard road, since he still has plenty to work on and he has to learn on the job, but I think he can do it. This year could be a small stumble, but I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

It's been a disappointing start - no question about it. But it's a long season and I still have high hopes. I'm sure fans of the Blue Jays, Yankees, Twins. Athletics, Braves and Nationals - all teams who were expected to contend and currently have the same or a worse record than the Sox - are also disappointed. I doubt all those teams will miss the playoffs and I doubt the Sox will miss them too.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 3-2
                          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 289-249
                          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                            It's been a disappointing start - no question about it. But it's a long season and I still have high hopes. I'm sure fans of the Blue Jays, Yankees, Twins. Athletics, Braves and Nationals - all teams who were expected to contend and currently have the same or a worse record than the Sox - are also disappointed. I doubt all those teams will miss the playoffs and I doubt the Sox will miss them too.
                            It's not the record, it's how we're losing. A bad closer sorts itself out. A bad fielder can be replaced. For us, everyone isn't hitting when it matters. Multiple bullpen pieces are not what we expected. And multiple fielding and baserunning errors across the board. I can't speak for why those other teams have our record, but our record is an accurate reflection of our play on the field. And I have a hard time believing that all these issues are simply right now, and have a great fear that we'll be dealing with this all year and have a record that reflects that struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
                              One of the reasons that I thought we were a year or two away was the lineup. Teams have made the adjustment to Robert, the jury is still out on Vaughn and Madrigal, and Eloy is hurt. Our Cuban reinforcements don't come in until 2023 (if I'm wrong, correct me on that), but they do give me plenty of optimism. Although Kopech has looked real good so far, and Crochet is going to have a hard road, since he still has plenty to work on and he has to learn on the job, but I think he can do it. This year could be a small stumble, but I hope I'm wrong.
                              The lineup isn't producing because established guys like Abreu, Moncada, and Grandal have just been bad in the first few weeks, with Anderson being out. Mercedes has performed better than what Eloy would have at this point, so things could have been much worse actually (not saying they are better off). Jury of course is still out on Madrigal and Vaughn as they have played a combined month and a half of MLB games, but they look to be what I'd expect of them to be at this point in their careers and aren't being counted on to carry much of a load. Robert is the least of our worries, he's been fine and will be better when the rest of the lineup is clicking. Really not sure how long it will take for some of the established guys to start hitting, as the team can't just wait for warmer weather. Best hope is to continue to have Vaughn in LF and Mercedes DH and roll with a lineup that has upside or quality ABs 1-9.

These Cuban reinforcements might not even play any part in this window. The Sox will be happy if either Colas or Cespedes turns out to be a regular OF. They aren't some saviors, both have way lower ceilings and floors than Eloy, Robert and Moncada. RF isn't even a current hole on this struggling team.

Comment

Working...
                              X