*Official 4/12 Cleveland Throws It Away*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official 4/12 Cleveland Throws It Away*

Bizarre night, from Len on the TV call to Keuchel starting to the wild walkoff ending..

What in the hell was with the flashing lights after Eaton's homerun too? Mercy.

Can we finally get over .500 tomorrow?!

Hey, I'll take them any way I can get them. To have a divisional foe like Cleveland give it away like that makes it all the more satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post
      Bizarre night, from Len on the TV call to Keuchel starting to the wild walkoff ending..

What in the hell was with the flashing lights after Eaton's homerun too? Mercy.

Can we finally get over .500 tomorrow?!
      I noticed the flashing lights at the end of the game too. Must be a new thing this year as the towers seemed to be like mini flashing scoreboards. This was the first home night game....

Comment

Any word on Rodon? Do we really believe this is just a stomach issue?
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
          Probably cancer...
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Bummer scared me as usual. Cody Heuer has amazing stuff, control and nerves of steel. I am impressed.
            If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

There is some sort of irony in Madrigal scoring the winning run on a ground ball to the right side thrown away at second base. I don't know how weird the game was, quite literally and, partly because I only checked the score halfheartedly in the eighth. It looks like the White Sox had a chance to break a 3-3 tie in the sixth with the bases loaded and no one out and failed to do so. that seems fairly commonplace this season. Bad defense has been common enough either for or against the the Sox in key situations this year. The game-ending error didn't seem weird. Eaton homered to give the Sox the lead early in the game, but he did that late in the game yesterday.

Weird would have been if the White Sox failed to put a runner on base after leaving the bases loaded in the sixth but still won the game by bringing around the runner the commissioner put on second in the tenth.

The little part of the game I followed seemed more frustratingly routine than weird. Had I both the opportunity and inclination to watch the game, the latter failing because of the anger I felt when I left yesterday's game in the top of the 10th, I would have felt more frustration. As it was, when I saw the game was tied after eight and in the ninth, I was dreading seeing that runner plopped on second to begin the inning. This bastardization of major league baseball doesn't just affect my enjoyment of the game after nine. I wonder if I wold feel this way in the bottom of the fifth in either end of a doubleheader.

Still, it's nice to win,to take advantage of other teams' mistakes. It's often the mistakes, sometimes unforced errors that determine and define games. Lost in Madrigal running,(and in that position, Madrigal running is a no-brainer) is Mercedes starting the rally with a hit, even if it was a ground ball that didn't get through the infield. Ground balls essentially won the game in the bottom of the ninth, although a healthy fly in the sixth would have given Hendrik another shot at a save. And, of course, walks to the bottom of the lineup in front of Eaton's home run were big. The bullpen did a good job. Blowing a save opportunity (statistically although you weren't in for the save but only to keep the Sox in the game with the bases loaded and none out and a one-run lead), wasn't such a bad thing today.

Ultimately a good win against a division rival. Maybe it will kick-start this team into playing better baseball. But after Sunday and with the game tied going into the bottom of the ninth,I can't shake the feeling that it wasn't real baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by TDog View Post
                There is some sort of irony in Madrigal scoring the winning run on a ground ball to the right side thrown away at second base. I don't know how weird the game was, quite literally and, partly because I only checked the score halfheartedly in the eighth. It looks like the White Sox had a chance to break a 3-3 tie in the sixth with the bases loaded and no one out and failed to do so. that seems fairly commonplace this season. Bad defense has been common enough either for or against the the Sox in key situations this year. The game-ending error didn't seem weird. Eaton homered to give the Sox the lead early in the game, but he did that late in the game yesterday.

Weird would have been if the White Sox failed to put a runner on base after leaving the bases loaded in the sixth but still won the game by bringing around the runner the commissioner put on second in the tenth.

The little part of the game I followed seemed more frustratingly routine than weird. Had I both the opportunity and inclination to watch the game, the latter failing because of the anger I felt when I left yesterday's game in the top of the 10th, I would have felt more frustration. As it was, when I saw the game was tied after eight and in the ninth, I was dreading seeing that runner plopped on second to begin the inning. This bastardization of major league baseball doesn't just affect my enjoyment of the game after nine. I wonder if I wold feel this way in the bottom of the fifth in either end of a doubleheader.

Still, it's nice to win,to take advantage of other teams' mistakes. It's often the mistakes, sometimes unforced errors that determine and define games. Lost in Madrigal running,(and in that position, Madrigal running is a no-brainer) is Mercedes starting the rally with a hit, even if it was a ground ball that didn't get through the infield. Ground balls essentially won the game in the bottom of the ninth, although a healthy fly in the sixth would have given Hendrik another shot at a save. And, of course, walks to the bottom of the lineup in front of Eaton's home run were big. The bullpen did a good job. Blowing a save opportunity (statistically although you weren't in for the save but only to keep the Sox in the game with the bases loaded and none out and a one-run lead), wasn't such a bad thing today.

Ultimately a good win against a division rival. Maybe it will kick-start this team into playing better baseball. But after Sunday and with the game tied going into the bottom of the ninth,I can't shake the feeling that it wasn't real baseball.
                When you think about it the LAST thing the Sox should want to see is that bastardized extra inning rule situation.

This team can't bunt or execute fundamentals so they have to rely on getting a hit or hits to score the run. In fact the only extra inning win they have going back to last year was when Robert hit a three run home run to beat the Royals.

Comment

Random Musings...

*It's nice for a change to see the OTHER team make a friggin' error in a key situation that cost them the game.

*It was nice to see Moncada get two hits tonight.

*2 for 5 is a lot better than 1 for 15 with runners in scoring position but this team still is in a major hitting slump up and down the lineup. Given the talent even without Eloy (whom Jose brought up yet again tonight for the nth time...) that's ridiculous.

*It's nice that Hahn said both Anderson and Hamilton were "letting it out" in pregame drills with TA expected back Thursday, but begs the question why was Hamilton put on the 10 day if he's "letting it out" after four?

*Marshall with his second blown save officially but he did his job getting them out of a bad spot with only one run scoring on a sacrifice fly.

Quote of the Day: “I respect the people that say that RBIs don’t matter. But at the end of the day, you win games by scoring runs, right? Then, it should matter.”---Jose Abreu

Comment

Originally posted by 34rancher View Post

I noticed the flashing lights at the end of the game too. Must be a new thing this year as the towers seemed to be like mini flashing scoreboards. This was the first home night game....
                    I saw some tweets that said it looked really cool in the stadium. You couldn't really tell by watching it.

Comment

I heard his arm actually fell off, but they're sitting on that information until they see if it can be put back on.

Comment

I thought I had read somewhere recently that before last season, the lights were upgraded with new LEDs. It was said that the LED lights would use less electricity, be able to turn on instantly without needing to warm up, about could even be used in conjunction with the scoreboard for effects. They obviously didn’t use the effects last year as they also didn’t have the scoreboard explode for home runs or wins.

As for the game itself, even teams with reputations for great defense sometimes throw away a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                          I thought I had read somewhere recently that before last season, the lights were upgraded with new LEDs. It was said that the LED lights would use less electricity, be able to turn on instantly without needing to warm up, about could even be used in conjunction with the scoreboard for effects. They obviously didn’t use the effects last year as they also didn’t have the scoreboard explode for home runs or wins.

As for the game itself, even teams with reputations for great defense sometimes throw away a game.
                          We were at the game last night, and yeah, the dancing lights are part of the home run celebration. It really is a cool effect. The stadium light fixtures are now LED arrays and because they don't need warmup time they can be used as part of a display. Besides being a lot more energy-efficient, they're noticably brighter too.

The walk-off error was weird, but hey, a win is a win. Bases loaded with no outs in the sixth and scoring nobody made me creative in my vocabulary. But all's well that ends well.

- tebman

Comment

His Astrologer told him that Monday was not a good day to pitch. Something about Venus and Jupiter colluding to give him an upset stomach in the sixth house of Aquarius.

Comment

Rodin has to see Hendricks tarot card reader friend!

Comment

Working...
                              X