*OFFICIAL* 4/11/21 Missed Opportunities KC 4 SOX 3 Postmortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 4/11/21 Missed Opportunities KC 4 SOX 3 Postmortem

Not terribly impressed with our new, expensive closer.

But I’m even less impressed with the umpiring today.

We found every way we could not to win that one, and in the end, we didn't.
    I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

The Sox need to start getting hits. There are so many blackholes in the damn lineup.

Leury has no business hitting at the top of the order, he doesn't really have much business being in the lineup but I get that the Sox are down a couple of key guys. I'm also still real worried about Moncada, he just doesn't look like the guy he was in 2019. I don't know if that is a result of lingering side effects from COVID or what. And Madrigal, man. In order to be a good major leaguer he can't afford to make any mistakes on the basepaths or in the field and that is seemingly all he does.

Oddly enough, I'm not quite as worried about Hendricks or Bummer. I think they both need to get more consistent work.

Also, I hate the god damned extra inning rule.

Comment

This team just doesn't have much margin for error (pun intended) or any other kind of goofiness that occurs. The lineup just isn't very ominous.

Comment

1 for 15 with RISP. To me, that's the story.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-4
          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 295-251
          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

I guess 48 million or 52 million on whatever they are paying the "closer" doesn't get you that much anymore.

He's been having issues going back to blowing that exhibition win against the Cubs.

That's three, kiddies, three blown games in the 7th inning or later and lost and the season isn't even two weeks old.

Two more errors today.

Fundamentals

And like others I absolutely hate that friggin' extra inning rule, just damn nonsense.

Comment

The bullpen really is becoming a concern. Yes, the situational hitting still sucks, but the relievers can't be giving leads right back. Who would have thought a supposed key strength might actually be a huge weakness?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                I guess 48 million or 52 million on whatever they are paying the "closer" doesn't get you that much anymore.

He's been having issues going back to blowing that exhibition win against the Cubs.

That's three, kiddies, three blown games in the 7th inning or later and lost and the season isn't even two weeks old.

Two more errors today.

Fundamentals

And like others I absolutely hate that friggin' extra inning rule, just damn nonsense.
                All over it, Lip. What is responsible for that Little League worthy fielding on the critical bunt? Lack of preparation and that's on the pitching coach and the manager. Pa-bleeping-thetic. What's spring training for?
                If it's up, put it down. If it's down, put it up.

Comment

TLR made all of the "right" bullpen decisions today and was let down more than once.

Of course this shouldn't have come down to the bullpens: it should have been a laugher but the Sox consistently failed with men in scoring position, including in the 10th inning.
                  "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                  -- Thucydides

Comment

For those scoring at home since this idiotic extra-inning rule was dictated by the former Ivy League tennis player, the Sox are 1-3.

Comment

You just simply can't run a lineup out there like the Sox did today and expect to win. They need at least one other bat in the lineup. I would love if the front office would show some urgency and try to bring someone in...

The bullpen continues to disappoint. Question is how quick will they be to rearrange the roles if this continues. Hendricks isn't going to last long throwing 30 pitches each outing. He's looked bad. 2 weeks in and we haven't spent a day above .500. Great. Also Santana continues to come up with clutch hits against us...same song different verse.

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post
                        You just simply can't run a lineup out there like the Sox did today and expect to win. They need at least one other bat in the lineup. I would love if the front office would show some urgency and try to bring someone in...

The bullpen continues to disappoint. Question is how quick will they be to rearrange the roles if this continues. Hendricks isn't going to last long throwing 30 pitches each outing. He's looked bad. 2 weeks in and we haven't spent a day above .500. Great. Also Santana continues to come up with clutch hits against us...same song different verse.
                        Maybe they should, you know, try to pitch differently to Santana? Just a thought...

Honestly though I don't know what lineup changes they can make. Jimenez is hurt, Engle is hurt (and Hahn said before today's game he isn't expected back now before the next home stand), Anderson, hurt...Hamilton, hurt.

This is where quality depth come in, depth that apparently Mr. Hahn felt wasn't needed based on his body of off-season work.

And the guys who are in the lineup simply aren't hitting. Today's lineup for example had only two guys hitting above .250. Who is on the bench that can basically do better?

Teams aren't making deals right now, at least I wouldn't think so and the Sox don't have any impact players in the minors. We've heard the same names for the past few years...Rutherford, Adolfo, Sheets, Burger etc. and they haven't done anything. They are between a rock and a hard place and are going to have to figure a way to get out of it with the guys they have.
                        Last edited by Lipman 1; 04-11-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

For those scoring at home since this idiotic extra-inning rule was dictated by the former Ivy League tennis player, the Sox are 1-3.
                          The rule meant that the Sox just needed one of their most talented hitters, one of their top prospects, or a guy who almost bat .400 the previous season to hit a single and they would have tied the game. They failed to do this. Don't blame the rules.
                          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                          -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                            But I’m even less impressed with the umpiring today.
                            By my count there were 14 pitches that went against the Sox — out of the strike zone called strikes to Sox hitters, or in the strike zone called balls for Sox pitchers.

KC had 2 unfavorable pitch calls.

Comment

Maybe they should, you know, try to pitch differently to Santana? Just a thought...

Honestly though I don't know what lineup changes they can make. Jimenez is hurt, Engle is hurt (and Hahn said before today's game he isn't expected back now before the next home stand), Anderson, hurt...Hamilton, hurt.

This is where quality depth come in, depth that apparently Mr. Hahn felt wasn't needed based on his body of off-season work.

And the guys who are in the lineup simply aren't hitting. Today's lineup for example had only two guys hitting above .250. Who is on the bench that can basically do better?

Teams aren't making deals right now, at least I wouldn't think so and the Sox don't have any impact players in the minors. We've heard the same names for the past few years...Rutherford, Adolfo, Sheets, Burger etc. and they haven't done anything. They are between a rock and a hard place and are going to have to figure a way to get out of it with the guys they have.
                              Yeah not sure how to fix this which is the scariest part. They seem to have hit a goldmine with Mercedes but if he comes back down to earth before some of the guys get healthy this could get ugly. Garcia, Mendick, Vaugh, Collins, and Nicky Two Strikes don't really give me any hope when they stroll up to the plate. Also not sure where the Williams kid is from but it's just seemingly bleak. As for today I do wish Grandal could have gotten an AB somewhere in there. I get they need to rest guys but they did just have 2 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X