Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today’s game (4/10/21) postponed, rescheduled for May 14th

Just posted on the Sox Twitter.

Double header on the 14th with game 1 at 1:10, game 2 at 7:10.

Wet forecast all day. Can't say I'm surprised.

Comment

Smart they called it early.

Comment

Forecast for tomorrow isn't much better.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
        All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
        Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
          Forecast for tomorrow isn't much better.
          Typical April. If it's going to happen it's good that it will suck up two days of the IL stint for TA and others.

I agree it's good they called it early. Give the players more rest. Everyone should be sharp and ready to go when they resume playing.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

I have tix for tomorrow.......

Good thing about calling it today is this is another day of rest for the Bullpen and one day off the long run of games that would have started today.

Comment

This cancellation just goes to show that the Friday off day wasn’t very well thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                This cancellation just goes to show that the Friday off day wasn’t very well thought out.
                Huh? It was scheduled months ago before they knew what the weather would be like. In the northern outdoor cities, the day after the home opener is always an off day in case the opener doesn't happen.

Comment

Sox gain half a game on the Twins as Colome blows a tie game. Hope the extra 2 days of rest does not throw the starters off balance.
                  "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                  -- Thucydides

Comment

Disagree. I think the reason they scheduled the opener on Thursday followed by an off-day on Friday was to allow the opener to be rescheduled on Friday if the Thursday opener was rained out.

The Sox typically open their home schedule against divisional teams to allow rainouts to be rescheduled for later in the season more easily. Playing these early season games against a team making only one visit to Chicago would require an extra trip back or trying to shoehorn the makeup game into a double header during their one visit.
                    “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                      Sox gain half a game on the Twins as Colome blows a tie game. Hope the extra 2 days of rest does not throw the starters off balance.
                      So happy that both we didn't resign him and that the Twins did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

Huh? It was scheduled months ago before they knew what the weather would be like. In the northern outdoor cities, the day after the home opener is always an off day in case the opener doesn't happen.
                        Yes, I understand that this is how they do the scheduling. But does this really make sense? You have a contingency plan on the off chance that one day out of 162 is rained out.

Let’s say they started the series on a Friday like normal - they’d be in exactly the same position as they’re in now, with a game to make up later in the schedule. If the opener happened to get rained out, then you have the opener on Saturday. If they want to schedule in an off day in case there is a rainout (a good bet this time of year), do it on Sunday, that way if any game in the series is rained out it can be made up.

Comment

Yes, I understand that this is how they do the scheduling. But does this really make sense? You have a contingency plan on the off chance that one day out of 162 is rained out.

Let’s say they started the series on a Friday like normal - they’d be in exactly the same position as they’re in now, with a game to make up later in the schedule. If the opener happened to get rained out, then you have the opener on Saturday. If they want to schedule in an off day in case there is a rainout (a good bet this time of year), do it on Sunday, that way if any game in the series is rained out it can be made up.
                          For some teams the only guaranteed sellout they get is opening day. It's a big money day and fans spend extra on memorabilia on those days also. Owners want to make sure they get a "real opening day" because for many fans it's the biggest draw of the year and they hate to miss it, so the money rains down.
                          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

For some teams the only guaranteed sellout they get is opening day. It's a big money day and fans spend extra on memorabilia on those days also. Owners want to make sure they get a "real opening day" because for many fans it's the biggest draw of the year and they hate to miss it, so the money rains down.
                            It isn't just the money. It's the ceremony. For many fans, the home opener is a ritual. The two-day window for the opener, which is standard for teams in the Midwest and East, is about showing respect to those fans as well as being for the money.

Comment

Working...
                            X