X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson placed on IL; Mendick called up Update TA activated Williams DFA

What we all suspected has come true.

Retroactive to Monday? Is that allowed? So he could come back as soon as the 14th?

Sox are being extra cautious because it's going to be a chilly and they don't want to risk aggravation and a longer stretch gone.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
      What we all suspected has come true.
      Yep, healing process is a crap shoot, make sure not to come back too early is the key.
      IIRC Chet Lemon in his time with the Sox seemed like he had more than his share of Hammy pulls.
      Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-07-2021, 12:29 PM.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
        Retroactive to Monday? Is that allowed? So he could come back as soon as the 14th?

Sox are being extra cautious because it's going to be a chilly and they don't want to risk aggravation and a longer stretch gone.
        There is rain in the forecast for this weekend, so that could kill off a game or two he would have otherwise missed.

Comment

I'm sure TA is bummed he's going to miss the home stand. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery. Anyone heard an update on Engel?

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-4
          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 295-251
          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

You are allowed to start the IL on the day the player was injured so yes it is OK. Third time in three years he's been on it. All lower body injuries, ankle, groin and now hamstring.

Comment

I'd rather have 5.5 months of a healthy TA than 5.75 months of a TA with a bum leg
              "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
              -- Thucydides

Comment

Teams can place players on the DL, rather the IL retroactively to the first day they didn't play. There is no doctor's note required to state when an injury occurred. More than one pitcher has been placed on the list retroactively to a point before the any injury was noticed. Teams always go back as far as they can to keep their options open. Reducing the minimum for the list from 15 days ended up created more disabling injuries. Instead of players sitting out with minor injuries for a few days and working to get back in the lineup in a week, the team can designate them as inactive and call up a replacement and remain at full strength numbers-wise without committing to two weeks. It' seems to be done retroactively more often than not, coming after a player site outs a couple of games.

If you're looking at April in Chicago and Boston, and you have a hamstring problem, this seems like a good move. Anderson wasn't off to a great start and playing at less than 100 percent in nasty weather conditions could affect the rest of his season. He wasn't likely to start putting things together at the plate playing through a tweaked hammy in cold and wet April conditions. Mendick is strong defensively, although a better second baseman than shortstop.

Without having more than Garcia to cover short, the move feels inevitable. I just hope Anderson is back at 100 percent by late April.
                Last edited by TDog; 04-07-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Too bad, I was hoping he'd back in a couple days. Better safe than sorry at this point in the season though.

It'll be good to have another option up the middle in Mendick. Anything to get Leury out of the lineup once in awhile. He's been fine defensively, but looks absolutely lost at the plate.

Comment

Anderson coming off the IL tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
                      Anderson coming off the IL tomorrow.
                      I hope Nick Williams goes down/off the roster to make room for Anderson. Mendick is a capable backup for both SS and 2B, and Leury is better as a backup OF.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I hope Nick Williams goes down/off the roster to make room for Anderson. Mendick is a capable backup for both SS and 2B, and Leury is better as a backup OF.
                        That only works if La Russa is ready to commit to Vaughn as the every day LF. We haven't seen any willingness to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by ]Me=Frater Perdurabo View Post

I agree with you that I'd rather see Mendick on the active roster than Williams, but whomever survives Anderson's return will likely be heading to Schaumburg when Engel is ready (hopefully very soon).

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-4
                          All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 295-251
                          Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                            Originally posted by ]Me=Frater Perdurabo View Post

I agree with you that I'd rather see Mendick on the active roster than Williams, but whomever survives Anderson's return will likely be heading to Schaumburg when Engel is ready (hopefully very soon).
                            Engel hopes to be ready for the start of the Sox next home stand, which is next Friday.

Comment

Lamb should be the easy cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X