Opening Day Moments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day Moments...

In honor of opening day (or OPENING DAY depending on how you feel about it), here are my top moments in team history for it. Written for South Side Sox:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2021/4/...te-sox-history

My favorite was the home opener in 1981 which l attended. It was the first game for the new owners and for newly signed free age Carlton Fisk who helped the Sox beat the Brewers IIRC 8-3. 51,000+ were in attendance making it the largest home opener in Sox history.

My second favorite was the 1960 home opener when Minnie Minoso returned to the Sox after 2 years in Cleveland and hit 2 homers incuding a walkoff in the bottom of the 9th as the Sox beat the KC A's 10-9. 41,000 in attendance made it the largest opener crowd in Sox history up to that point. I ran home from grammar school to catch the last few innings on WGN TV. One other thing I remember was how warm it was that day for an April game , pretty sure it was around the mid 80s.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-01-2021, 01:56 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

I would add Jose Abreu doubling in his first ML at-bat in 2014. It set the tone for the career he's had.

Comment

The only year I attended Opening Day was 2005. I was in college at the time, and I had a class that evening that Mark Buehrle ensured I was in no danger of being late to.

I guess given how that worked out, I should attend Opening Day more frequently.
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

Comment

April 12 against Cleveland is the first game I'll be able to attend. I have a 10-game plan I bought in November, 2019 but Opening Day and the weekend games were already sold out for middle-tier folks like me. I don't have ticket stubs to prove it, but I think this may be the first year I've missed Opening Day since 1981. Now 1981, that was an Opening Day! Brisk, sunny day -- we sat in the lower deck down the first-base line of the old ballpark sharing the day with 51,000 of our closest friends. Carlton Fisk hit a statement-making grand slam in the fourth and the Sox won 9-3 behind Ross Baumgarten. I remember it like yesterday.

These are weird times, to be sure. April 12 will be my personal Opening Day and I'll consider my streak intact.

- tebman

Comment

Working...
          X