Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crochet makes taxi squad

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...enm-story.html

A lot of pundits thought the White Sox would use him almost out the gate as a relief option and take the "Chris Sale" approach to his development. This gives that thought credence.

They don't have the luxury of sending him to pitch in at least a few minor league games, which would be better for his development. Sale may have been on the fast track, but he confirmed what the team was expecting to see in Winston-Salem and Charlotte.

Comment

Originally posted by TDog View Post
      They don't have the luxury of sending him to pitch in at least a few minor league games, which would be better for his development. Sale may have been on the fast track, but he confirmed what the team was expecting to see in Winston-Salem and Charlotte.
      I'm not Crochet's biggest fan...and I think this is kind of crazy. But SOOOO many analysts have been saying this guy is pitching in a major league pen this year, so it's hard to ignore that position now that he's literally an injury away from a potential call-up.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

I'm not Crochet's biggest fan...and I think this is kind of crazy. But SOOOO many analysts have been saying this guy is pitching in a major league pen this year, so it's hard to ignore that position now that he's literally an injury away from a potential call-up.
        It doesn’t help that Jace Fry can’t throw strikes to save his life.

Comment

Regardless of the circumstances, I'm happy to see this development. Not since Sale have we seen this kind of upside for one of our drafted pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
            Regardless of the circumstances, I'm happy to see this development. Not since Sale have we seen this kind of upside for one of our drafted pitchers.
            Rodon was described as the best college pitcher to come out since David Price.

Comment

The Sun-Times reported that the Sox are primarily doing this to get him acclimated to the organization and the coaching staff since there are no MILB options available this season. There will no doubt be a cagey MLB veteran or two as well (Ross Detwiler, etc) on the taxi squad that can work with him and show him the ropes on what will be needed in the big leagues. However, if the Sox find themselves in need of a power lefty out of the pen, the organization has shown in the past that it isn't timid about promoting pitchers they believe can help right away. I imagine the Sox are probably keeping all their options open given the odd nature of this season. I'd still be somewhat surprised if he appeared on the big club this year.

Comment

Getting him stretched out and throwing in situations as close to real games as possible is in everyone’s best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulke You View Post
                  The Sun-Times reported that the Sox are primarily doing this to get him acclimated to the organization and the coaching staff since there are no MILB options available this season. There will no doubt be a cagey MLB veteran or two as well (Ross Detwiler, etc) on the taxi squad that can work with him and show him the ropes on what will be needed in the big leagues. However, if the Sox find themselves in need of a power lefty out of the pen, the organization has shown in the past that it isn't timid about promoting pitchers they believe can help right away. I imagine the Sox are probably keeping all their options open given the odd nature of this season. I'd still be somewhat surprised if he appeared on the big club this year.
                  I understand wanting the option for sure. I'm mostly just worried they're rushing him because they don't have Kopech as a relief option this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

I understand wanting the option for sure. I'm mostly just worried they're rushing him because they don't have Kopech as a relief option this year.
                    If a need arises, I tend to think the Sox would probably explore the trade market before fast tracking Crochet. However, the Chris Sale path to the big leagues did occur once so i'm sure it could be in the back of their mind. Hopefully this Taxi Squad stop is about experience and seasoning in the absence of minor league baseball.

Comment

Crochet apparently has two pitches that are major league ready. The only questions with him coming out were whether he was going to end up as a starter or a reliever. Considering that there is no minor league season, and that most of his college experience was as a reliever, I see no problem with him getting some game action and some exposure to MLB if the team feels he's ready for it. If he fails, no big deal - he knows that the team is not relying on him to carry them through the season, I can't see a reason where this is going to "ruin" him. The only way I see this affecting his long-term development is if he is so good in a relief role that the team questions whether his future is as a starter or not (like with Sale), but in this weird season I expect they'll take everything that happens in terms of development (positive and negative) with a grain of salt.

Comment

One thing is certain.

Things should be much better than last year, when Ross Detwiler led all Sox lefties in innings pitched.

Comment

If the White Sox want to save the service time on Crochet, Jake McGee is now a free agent. The Rockies released him to prevent his 2021 option from vesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X