Terry Forster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Forster...

Reading a story in the print edition of Sports Illustrated (the baseball preview) on pitchers hitting and the probability that this is the last year you'll see it in the N.L. with a new CBA forthcoming at some point.

Former Sox pitcher Jim Kaat was quoted in the story and it also talked about former Sox relief pitcher Terry Forster.

His lifetime average is .397! It is the highest all-time for a pitcher who played at least 15 seasons and had at least 50 at-bats.

I remember watching on TV a game against the Twins at Comiskey Park. Terry faked a bunt and ripped a line shot off the leg of Minnesota's third baseman. The ball was hit so hard it rebounded into the Sox dugout.

As an aside, when I co-hosted the 40th anniversary celebration for Dick Allen and the 1972 White Sox, I had the chance to spend time with Tom Bradley and "Goose" Gossage at the bar at the Drake Hotel. I asked them who had the best arm between Gossage, Forster and Bart Johnson, the young relief pitchers who could throw a ball 100 miles per hour and put the fear of God in hitters.

Gossage immediately said Forster not only had the best arm among the three but the best arm he ever saw on a pitcher in his big league career.

I remember being at a game with seats down the left-field line at old Comiskey, when the Sox bullpens were in outfield foul territory. Forster and Gossage were warming up side by side, and the ball hitting the catchers' gloves sounded like gun shots.

Comment

And they were eventually traded for Richie Zisk and Silvio Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Allen View Post
        And they were eventually traded for Richie Zisk and Silvio Martinez.
        ....and Zisk spent one great year with us (1977) then left for greener pastures.
        Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Second game of a double header against the Twins: Killebrew was getting older and had sat out the game.

Forster in for the save in the 9th inning. With two outs the Twins counter with Killebrew pinch hitting off the bench. The Young Gun vs. the Veteran Slugger playing old fashioned country hard ball: Forster rearing back and throwing as hard as he could while Killebrew was swinging from his heels trying to hit the ball to Wisconsin.

Forster struck him out for a happy ending!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Nelson Fox View Post
            Forster in for the save in the 9th inning. With two outs the Twins counter with Killebrew pinch hitting off the bench. The Young Gun vs. the Veteran Slugger playing old fashioned country hard ball: Forster rearing back and throwing as hard as he could while Killebrew was swinging from his heels trying to hit the ball to Wisconsin.
            I think I found it. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97207022.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
              Outstanding! That's it! I'm delighted my memory did not fail me after 49 years.

I graduated from high school one month prior.

Thanks, Fielder!

Comment

My dad always recalls how David Letterman used to call him "a big tub of goo."

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post
                  My dad always recalls how David Letterman used to call him "a big tub of goo."
                  He had gotten a little portly by his time with Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Nelson Fox View Post
                    I graduated from high school one month prior.
                    You and me both, buddy! Old timers!

Comment

Pfff. 1972 is the year I got married! I was one year out of the Army, five years out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

Pfff. 1972 is the year I got married! I was one year out of the Army, five years out of high school.
                        Yes, our screen names relating to Nellie and Fielder would self identify us as belonging to the more "seasoned" element

Comment

I have a son older than you guys. LOL
                          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-01-2021, 03:47 PM.
                          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Working...
                          X