Michael Kopech opts out of 2020 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Kopech opts out of 2020 season

He is the first White Sox player to do so.

A lot of reporters have noted that he and Moncada are the two players who have yet to report to camp and the Sox had two positive tests. Hopefully he recovers and has a great 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
      He is the first White Sox player to do so.
      I wish him well.

I am disappointed that he’s going to lose another year of development. On the other hand, if the 2020 season doesn’t actually happen (still a very real possibility) this means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by whitesox5187 View Post
        A lot of reporters have noted that he and Moncada are the two players who have yet to report to camp and the Sox had two positive tests. Hopefully he recovers and has a great 2021.
        The other player has been outed. It’s Moncada and Ruiz who tested positive.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/sta...526564864?s=20
        Last edited by A. Cavatica; 07-10-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

This sucks, but it's understandable. You have to do what's right for you and your family first.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

The other player has been outed. It’s Moncada and Ruiz who tested positive.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/sta...526564864?s=20
            I thought Ruiz was in camp.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear the news about Kopech. I hope he's ok.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
              Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

I applaud Kopech. Do what you need to do for yourself and your family in this perhaps ill-fated attempt at a "season."

Comment

Sorry to read it but if I understand the rules it won't cost a year of eligibility for a few months of action either. That's in the Sox best interests assuming he comes back next spring.
                  Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

From a baseball perspective, this is not good. I don’t know that many players at his developmental stage would be able to miss two full years and come back to reach anything close to their potential.

Thats not my being judgmental, it just leads me to believe that whatever his personal issue is is pretty serious and I hope everything is okay with him.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he forfeits any service time accrued with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

I thought Ruiz was in camp.
                        Evidently not.

He didn’t figure to last on the 40-man, so I’m not surprised he escaped notice.

Comment

I got to see the only pitches Michael Kopech threw in a live game this year from right behind home plate. His first four pitches were all 100+.

Comment

I'm confused, did he opt out for personal reasons, for medical reasons, or is he not required to disclose this? Will he still be paid for 2020 even though he opted out for the season?

Comment

Originally posted by KW1989 View Post
                              From a baseball perspective, this is not good. I don’t know that many players at his developmental stage would be able to miss two full years and come back to reach anything close to their potential.

Thats not my being judgmental, it just leads me to believe that whatever his personal issue is is pretty serious and I hope everything is okay with him.
                              There's not a ton of data on guys his age missing two straight developmental years and then having success. But that's because, in most cases, those players have suffered multiple catastrophic injuries. Kopech had one, and has been throwing. In all likelihood, he'll just be behind in figuring it out. We should treat 2021 as his rookie season (even if it isn't). He's still on track for the most reasonable timeline (2022) for contention.

Comment

Working...
                              X