Andrew Vaughn getting reps at 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Vaughn getting reps at 3B

Is this one of those “just for kicks” situations, or do they think he actually can be viable at the position? I do not remember hearing anything about Vaughn getting reps at 3B during spring training.

Another story said that both he and Abreu occasionally do infield work on the left side of the infield. Doesn’t meant a position change is imminent or even contemplated.

Comment

Two of the top three options at 3B are currently not in camp. They need people to take reps there, and why not see if there’s a way to get Vaughn’s bat in the lineup if he doesn’t embarrass himself there defensively?

It also highlights the lack of depth at the position in the organization.
      Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 07-11-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
        Two of the top three options at 3B are currently not in camp. They need people to take reps there, and why not see if there’s a way to get Vaughn’s bat in the lineup if he doesn’t embarrass himself there defensively?

It also highlights the lack of depth at the position in the organization.
        Losing a year of control on Vaughn in a shortened season where we have two rostered, high end 1B options seems like a mistake. Get him the reps there, and if we're competing and we need someone late in the schedule at 3B...then maybe. But it would suck to start his clock in 2020 when we've got options on two good first basemen through the end of next season and Moncada locked up long term at third base.

I wouldn't realistically want to see Vaughn until next September at the earliest. Earlier if Encarnacion flops. But I don't think he will.

Comment

I don't see this as a huge issue. Timetable for recovery from COVID is 2-3 weeks, so even if Moncada was only recently infected he should be back in camp in time to get enough reps to start the season. Of course if he has a bad case that requires hospitalization that's a different issue but at his age and fitness that's unlikely.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Lord help us if Vaughn has the flexibility to play more than one infield position. I can see him and Moncada giving each other a break at the corners.

Comment

I like it.

If he can’t do it, he’ll just stay as a 1B/DH candidate with a potentially good bat for his position. If it turns out that he CAN hold his own, his value skyrockets and he becomes a 3B with a potentially GREAT bat for his position. A low risk, high reward proposition.

I’d actually like to see him get some reps in the corner outfield spots as well. I’m not sold on Mazara or the other prospects in our system.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                Lord help us if Vaughn has the flexibility to play more than one infield position. I can see him and Moncada giving each other a break at the corners.
                Yes!

It also allows the team to play an actual major-league-caliber hitter if someone gets hurt.

Look at some of those teams in the early 2000s that could not overcome a major injury )or a career-worst season by a regular) because the roster was too thin. I sure as hell would like to avoid that if possible.

If Andrew Vaughn can play 3B (or Yoan Moncada can play 2B, or Nick Madrigal can play SS), it only makes your team better.

Comment

Vaughn said that he played SS in HS, and he has a low 90s arm off the mound in college. Sounds like the interest is real adding some versatility to his game. His bat from the brief spring training ABs I saw looks really close to MLB ready, so got to find a way to get him in the lineup soon. I think there is a real chance of him playing a major chunk of next year with the Sox. I say let him play 3b the entire taxi squad league and see how he is there.

Comment

Vaughn handled one chance at third today, flawlessly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-nHlMI1TQ

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
                      Vaughn handled one chance at third today, flawlessly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-nHlMI1TQ
                      Time stamp on the play?

Comment

Mendick's approach is better than I saw this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post
                          Mendick's approach is better than I saw this spring.
                          I would hate to saddle Mendick with the responsibility of being the primary backup at all 3 IF positions. Ideally, he could focus exclusively on backing up Madrigal and TA in the middle infield and play 3B only in a pinch.

That being said, I would rather overburden Mendick and hope for the best than put Yermin Mercedes at 3B and hope the ball doesn’t find him. And I want absolutely no part of Cheslor Cuthbert getting major league at-bats in a White Sox uniform.

Comment

Working...
                          X