It's Official Fans allowed in the stands for Opening Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official Fans allowed in the stands for Opening Day

Mayor Lightfoot announces that fans will be allowed in the stands starting with Opening Day. No word yet on total capacity.

https://twitter.com/chicagosmayor/st...55464545832961

https://theathletic.com/2409882/2021...stadiums-2021/
    The source sees this as a possibility since the facilities are outdoors. Here's hoping.

Comment

I was really hoping to catch at least a couple games of the Sox opening series against the Angels in April, but don't think Wife and her parents will be fully vaccinated by then and not sure we'll be having attendance at SoCal sporting events either. Things are better and improving but I think they will hold off on full open for sporting events until things are a lot more sure. Still well under 20% with first dose here in CA and all over the country really.
      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
        I was really hoping to catch at least a couple games of the Sox opening series against the Angels in April, but don't think Wife and her parents will be fully vaccinated by then and not sure we'll be having attendance at SoCal sporting events either. Things are better and improving but I think they will hold off on full open for sporting events until things are a lot more sure. Still well under 20% with first dose here in CA and all over the country really.
        Probably a wise decision on your part to help keep your family safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Probably a wise decision on your part to help keep your family safe.
          We won't travel until both of us have been fully vaccinated. We can drive down but would need to stay in a hotel and her parents have yet to be vaccinated. Not sure why as they do qualify.

Comment

From what I am hearing, Cub fans won't attend any Cub games under any circumstances. They are pissed at the team and its two man rotation.

Comment

The Rays are allowing fans to attend Spring Training games here in Port Charlotte at 25% capacity. Tickets go on sale tomorrow and are all home game are expected to sell out by the end of the day. If we can snag some tickets we will attend a couple of games and sit on the grass hill out in left field using extreme social distancing.
              No decision by the Rays yet on regular seasons games at the Trop but we would take a pass on indoor games until Covid is gone.
              Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-25-2021, 03:56 PM.
              Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

There have been sporting events with live attendance since at least the summer of 2020, beginning with NASCAR races and continuing on through the college and NFL seasons. The MLB playoffs, as you recall, also had live attendance.

There's a general consensus that as long as people aren't all packed in together in the same section, outdoor sporting events are safe. This comports with other observations, such as that large outdoor protests are relatively safe.
                "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                -- Thucydides

Comment

I spoke to my ticket rep yesterday. He stated that the Sox official position is that they are currently planning on full capacity, live attendance beginning on Opening Day, but said they are likely going to announce a revision/update to that policy "in early March." He expects the team will start the season with limited capacity and said they are going to announce social distancing restrictions etc. as part of the revision/update in early March. I'm guessing that this announcement will be in conjunction with the beginning of ticket sales to the general public.
                  Last edited by Chez; 02-25-2021, 08:34 AM.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                  All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                  Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

It will be interesting to see what happens. This is from 2 weeks ago, but as of then there was only 1 county in the entire state that had over 10% of its population fully vaccinated. Average for the state appears to be 5%. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...tates/2435942/

Comment

Originally posted by Kobo View Post
                      It will be interesting to see what happens. This is from 2 weeks ago, but as of then there was only 1 county in the entire state that had over 10% of its population fully vaccinated. Average for the state appears to be 5%. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...tates/2435942/
                      Well as an example. Santa Clara County (where I live) in CA has about 6% with full vaccines and 17% with at least 1 vaccine. That means in 3 weeks the county will be over 17% fully vaccinated and will likely have another 12% with at least one dose. Add in the J&J vaccine which is coming soon and only requires one dose, there's a chance that by April 50% of the country will have at least one dose. All depends if we can ramp up vaccination rates. We will have the doses to do it. Production is increasing and we have been averaging over 2M doses injected a day nationwide for a while.

Comment

Well as an example. Santa Clara County (where I live) in CA has about 6% with full vaccines and 17% with at least 1 vaccine. That means in 3 weeks the county will be over 17% fully vaccinated and will likely have another 12% with at least one dose. Add in the J&J vaccine which is coming soon and only requires one dose, there's a chance that by April 50% of the country will have at least one dose. All depends if we can ramp up vaccination rates. We will have the doses to do it. Production is increasing and we have been averaging over 2M doses injected a day nationwide for a while.
                        I guess it helps that the average MLB fan is a senior citizen and will get the vaccine early.
                        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                        -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                          I spoke to my ticket rep yesterday. He stated that the Sox official position is that they are currently planning on full capacity, live attendance beginning on Opening Day, but said they are likely going to announce a revision/update to that policy "in early March." He expects the team will start the season with limited capacity and said they are going to announce social distancing restrictions etc. as part of the revision/update in early March. I'm guessing that this announcement will be in conjunction with the beginning of ticket sales to the general public.
                          I had the same conversation with mine a couple of weeks back, but then, there was no mention of any plans for a revision.

How the hell they are going to work that is anyone's guess. Most likely, tickets will be sold to whatever capacity they are allowing, and season tickets won't be in play.

Comment

Appreciate the optimism, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy View Post

I had the same conversation with mine a couple of weeks back, but then, there was no mention of any plans for a revision.

How the hell they are going to work that is anyone's guess. Most likely, tickets will be sold to whatever capacity they are allowing, and season tickets won't be in play.
                              Except that most season ticket holders have already paid for their tickets for 2021!

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                              Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Working...
                              X