No announcement yet.

Sox attend Yoenis Cespedes showcase...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox attend Yoenis Cespedes showcase...

According to NBC Sports Chicago the Sox were among 11 clubs to attend his workout today. They signed his half-brother, one of the top international free agents this year in January.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yoenis-cesp...es-at-showcase
    Last edited by Lipman 1; 03-02-2021, 07:01 PM.

This just makes too much sense, imo. I’d imagine this impacts Leury & Vaughn the most. While I am very looking forward to vaughn, if Cespedes is signed it gives us the Primary DH and added OF depth where we won’t have to stick it out with Leury for any extended period of time if injuries happen.
    Last edited by DeployEloy; 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I don't know how much stock to put into the family connection: they're not super close, right? And his younger brother probably won't be in the majors this year. OTOH, the Cuban connection could certainly be a factor in luring Cespedes regardless of whether or not he is related to anyone else currently on the team.
      "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
      -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
        I don't know how much stock to put into the family connection: they're not super close, right? And his younger brother probably won't be in the majors this year. OTOH, the Cuban connection could certainly be a factor in luring Cespedes regardless of whether or not he is related to anyone else currently on the team.
        Not sure why you say they aren't close. They've been training together for the past year.

Comment

No. Don't mess with Vaughn. This is not about Leury Garcia.

Four Sox Gold Gloves in 1960.

Comment

After all the hyping up of Vaughn for the past month, I don't think there is any plan to block him. In fact I read that it looks like Yeonis will have to settle for a minor league deal because teams aren't confident in his health. If he's willing to go to Charlotte and be the first man up in the event of an injury, I'd love to have him, because I still don't trust the health record of our starting OF.

And I agree this is not about Leury. The Sox clearly value his versatility and he will make the team.

Comment

Originally posted by FourGoldGloves View Post
              No. Don't mess with Vaughn. This is not about Leury Garcia.
              Agree.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
              Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

How much of the Cespedes from 5 years ago is still left in that oft-injured body?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                  After all the hyping up of Vaughn for the past month, I don't think there is any plan to block him. In fact I read that it looks like Yeonis will have to settle for a minor league deal because teams aren't confident in his health. If he's willing to go to Charlotte and be the first man up in the event of an injury, I'd love to have him, because I still don't trust the health record of our starting OF.

And I agree this is not about Leury. The Sox clearly value his versatility and he will make the team.
                  There's a reason why he is still available this late and needs a dog and pony show to generate interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

There's a reason why he is still available this late and needs a dog and pony show to generate interest.
                    35 years old, missed significant time in each of the past 3 years, certifiably looney tunes. Take your pick, plenty of reasons to go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

That's true, so it'll be up to the team's scouts to see if he's got anything left. But the skepticism around the league is 100% due to his recent injury history. He's always put up good numbers when he's been on the field. To Mahoney's point of course none of us our in position to say anything about whether he's got anything left after all the injuries, but if he's healthy I think he has more upside than Nick Williams or Luis Gonzalez.

And of course the Cuban thing doesn't hurt.

Comment

I wanted him on a minor league deal a month or so ago, but looking into his opt out during the season last year, he said that he hated DHing. Doesn't seem like a great fit. However at this point in his career, he may have to come to terms with DH being the only option to play in the bigs again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

That's true, so it'll be up to the team's scouts to see if he's got anything left. But the skepticism around the league is 100% due to his recent injury history. He's always put up good numbers when he's been on the field. To Mahoney's point of course none of us our in position to say anything about whether he's got anything left after all the injuries, but if he's healthy I think he has more upside than Nick Williams or Luis Gonzalez.

And of course the Cuban thing doesn't hurt.
                          If we are talking upside, Cespedes has more of it than Adam Eaton, let alone Nick Williams or any of the minor league OF who have yet to pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
                            I wanted him on a minor league deal a month or so ago, but looking into his opt out during the season last year, he said that he hated DHing. Doesn't seem like a great fit. However at this point in his career, he may have to come to terms with DH being the only option to play in the bigs again.
                            Well, didn't know that. I am out on him then. The injury history didn't exactly worry me because he wouldn't play OF for any consistent time here if he signed.

Comment

If the Sox want to take a shot on someone the name Yasil Puig is still out there I believe. I think with the other Cubans on the team they would keep him on the straight and narrow and the guy can still play in my opinion.
                              Last edited by Lipman 1; 03-03-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X