The Remarkable Career of Al Smith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Remarkable Career of Al Smith...

Nice story on the career of former Sox outfielder Al Smith who saw a few historic and unusual events in his career:

https://www.mlb.com/news/al-smith-s-...life?t=offbeat

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    Nice story on the career of former Sox outfielder Al Smith who saw a few historic and unusual events in his career:

I was 13 when they traded him and Looie to Baltimore. I was devastated.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

I was 13 when they traded him and Looie to Baltimore. I was devastated.
      Trade turned out to be a great one for the Sox...Ward, Wilhelm, Hansen and Nicholson.

Comment

I attended game 2 of the 1959 World Series when Smith received a beer shower after watching Carlie Neal's homer sail over his head into the left field grandstand seats.

The bigger story of that game was Sherm Lollar being tagged out by 20 feet as the Sox were rallying in the bottom of the 7th, to this day I have no idea why third base coach Tony Cucienello waved Lollar home as Sherm was the slowest runner in the league. The Sox would have had men on second and third with IIRC no outs. I truly believe if the Sox had won game 2 they would have won the Series after they stomped all over LA 11-0 in game 1. I know the Dodger backup catcher Joe Pignatano and he agreed with me that the Sox would have probably won the 59 Series if they had come back and won game 2.
        Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-22-2021, 06:21 AM.
        Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Trade turned out to be a great one for the Sox...Ward, Wilhelm, Hansen and Nicholson.
          😁😀😃

Comment

Yeah, I know. Ward and Wilhelm quickly became favorites of mine. But Smith and Aparicio hurt at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

Yeah, I know. Ward and Wilhelm quickly became favorites of mine. But Smith and Aparicio hurt at the time.
              It was a shame that Ward hurt himself in a car accident in the winter of 64-65. After 2 productive seasons in 63 and 64 he was never the same player after the accident.
              Sort of strange that 3 of our 3rd basemen who were pretty damn good all hurt their back and saw their careers nose dive after being hurt, the 3 being Ward, Melton and Crede.
              Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-22-2021, 04:02 PM.
              Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

It was a shame that Ward hurt himself in a car accident in the winter of 64-65. After 2 productive seasons in 63 and 64 he was never the same player after the accident.
                Sort of strange that 3 of our 3rd basemen who were pretty damn good all hurt their back and saw their careers nose dive after being hurt, the 3 being Ward, Melton and Crede.
                Just to clarify Ward wasn't driving the car. He was a passenger, with Tommy John, when the car he was riding in was rear ended leaving Chicago Stadium after a Hawks playoff game. Severe whiplash.

Comment

I can assume Ward was a pretty big hockey fan. IIRC his father played in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by fungo bat View Post
                    I can assume Ward was a pretty big hockey fan. IIRC his father played in the NHL.
                    His dad played for the Montreal maroons the precursor to the Canadians. Was voted MVP of the team in back to back years in the 30's. I've been to Pete's house in Oregon where he has those trophies in glass cases. very impressive.

Comment

His dad played for the Montreal maroons the precursor to the Canadians.
                      The Maroons and the Canadiens existed together. The Maroons were marketed to English-speaking Quebeckers, and the Canadiens were for the Francophones.

Comment

Al Smith hit a HR into the CF bullpen in the first game I ever attended, May of 1960. Always a soft spot in my heart for the man.

Comment

Working...
                        X