Juan Pizarro...R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Pizarro...R.I.P.

One of the best Sox pitchers of the 1960's Juan Pizarro died last night. He was part of those fabulous staffs that were the envy of most teams in baseball. Only the Dodgers with two future Hall of Famers had better ones.

Have done an OBIT story for South Side Sox. When it is published I'll attach the link to it.

Here is my story on the late Juan Pizarro, a terrific pitcher in his day for the White Sox:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2021/2/...21-in-memoriam

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      Here is my story on the late Juan Pizarro, a terrific pitcher in his day for the White Sox:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2021/2/...21-in-memoriam
      Excellent performer especially in 63 and 64 but missed time in 65 due to injury for those super Sox teams that won 94, 98 and 95 games in that stretch. If we only had some power back then.
      May he rest in peace.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-20-2021, 08:20 AM.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nellie Fox.

Comment

I remember watching Juan warm up once. I had a good line of sight since he was down the baseline (not bullpen). I could not believe what I saw. Each pitch was lightning fast (at least to me) and moved. There was never a straight "clothes line" pitch. I had a new perspective of why hitters had trouble hitting him.

Comment

From what I remember back then, Pizarro and Gary Peters were two of the better hitters on those teams aside from their outstanding pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Allen View Post
            From what I remember back then, Pizarro and Gary Peters were two of the better hitters on those teams aside from their outstanding pitching.
            Quite often when Peters was on the mound and because he was such a good hitter he didn't bat in the usual 9th spot, was moved up to 6th or 7th in the lineup. Peters was also used as a pinch hitter on days he wasn't pitching as was Early Wynn in his days with the Sox.
            Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-20-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Quite often when Peters was on the mound and because he was such a good hitter he didn't bat in the usual 9th spot, was moved up to 6th or 7th in the lineup. Peters was also used as a pinch hitter on days he wasn't pitching as was Early Wynn in his days with the Sox.
              Wonderful Juan hit (6) HR in 85 games 1963-65. Gary Peters also hit (8) in those same years. I would imagine a lot of those HR's were epic considering the low scores of the era.

Comment

Never heard of this guy until today, and it's a shame that I haven't. Thank you for telling his story, Lip.
                "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                  Never heard of this guy until today, and it's a shame that I haven't. Thank you for telling his story, Lip.
                  Your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

If my memory is correct, Juan also pitch hit.

Also Pizzaro, Peters, Billy Pierce.... didn't get removed at 100 pitches. These guys were work-horses.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

If my memory is correct, Juan also pitch hit.

Also Pizzaro, Peters, Billy Pierce.... didn't get removed at 100 pitches. These guys were work-horses.
                      Pierce once threw 16 innings in a game at Baltimore. yea...16 innings.

Comment

He was such a good hitter that the mini souvenir bats sold at Comiskey had his name on it. I bought one and still have it in my office. You will have to take my word for it because it is so worn all you can read is ".. n Piz..."!

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Pierce once threw 16 innings in a game at Baltimore. yea...16 innings.
                          Game was on Aug. 6, 1959 and ended in a tie after 18 innings due to curfew laws in Baltimore at the time. I listened to the game on my transistor radio under my pillow. Game lasted 4 hours and 8 minutes, some 9 inning games nowadays are 4 hours long.

In 1963 Juan Marichal of the Giants went all the way in a 16 inning game beating Warren Spahn and the Braves 1-0, Spahn went all the way pitching 15 1/3 innings

Comment

Thanks for the article Lip, it brought back teenage memories.

Comment

Great article Lip. Pizarro was a flame thrower who sometimes struggled with control but had his best years in a White Sox uniform in the early and mid-60s. Yes, he and Gary Peters could also swing the bat. Juan was an integral part of a very talented pitching staff that made the Sox perennial contenders along with the Yankees in the American League back in the day. RIP Juan.

Comment

Working...
                              X