2 White Sox Test Postive for COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 White Sox Test Postive for COVID-19

Didn’t see this anywhere, but appearantly whoever they are are asymptomatic.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ronavirus.html

Dwelling on this point, sadly, could be construed as political, but it is unfortunate that players have the right to remain anonymous after testing positive. It goes beyond a fan's interest. If this amounts to anything, they won't be around. I don't know how the COVID-19 "disabled list" will end up working, but it could be like the short story "The Man Without a Country" where Philip Nolan was forbidden from receiving any news of the United States but was able to figure out that Texas had been granted statehood because it was cut out of his map. COVID-19 is a problem baseball is going to have to deal with in any case. Not announcing who tests positive, for whatever reason, might not be in the best interests of the game.

Comment

The reason is HIPAA law.

Comment

Originally posted by TDog

I understand the reason and stand by what I wrote. Apparently, we'll just have to wait, metaphorically, for Texas to be cut out of our maps
        The individuals’ right to privacy is real, not lip service. The team knows what it needs to know. You and I don’t have any right to know.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

The individuals’ right to privacy is real, not lip service. The team knows what it needs to know. You and I don’t have any right to know.
          That is morally true with a torn rotator cuff. Whether it is true for a virus that has pushed the planned start of the season close to the normal trading deadline isn't as clear cut.

Comment

Originally posted by TDog View Post

That is morally true with a torn rotator cuff. Whether it is true for a virus that has pushed the planned start of the season close to the normal trading deadline isn't as clear cut.
            It’s true. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

It’s true. Get over it.
              Deny it's a problem, but it's one that threatens the 2020 baseball season.

Comment

Deny it's a problem, but it's one that threatens the 2020 baseball season.
                So what? Patient rights are more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark'sBrokenFoot View Post

Seriously, **** the 2020 baseball season. This is people’s health and privacy here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark'sBrokenFoot View Post

The referenced patient rights have existed in American law for only about two decades. If am afraid, a discussion of the value of patient rights that prevent the public from knowing when a public figure has a highly contagious virus that has already killed close to 130,000 Americans in less than half a year, an existential threat that hasn't existed in the history of these patient rights, would be a political one. I won't get into that.

But so what? Those rights threaten the upcoming baseball that won't even begin until late July because of the virus.

Comment

Why do you think the public needs to know this? So they can victim-shame on Twitter? So they can dump the players in their roto leagues? There's no public health concern here. The team knows, the contact tracers know.

Comment

I think our medical privacy laws (such as HIPPA) are extremely silly and result in a lot of absurd outcomes that make medicine inefficient while doing little for patients...BUT (a) I think this is actually a matter of the CBA rather than HIPPA, and (b) don't public health authorities know who tested positive even if the public doesn't?

Regardless, as others have pointed out, to figure out who has COVID just take notice of who isn't playing and subtract the people with announced injuries.

Comment

The referenced patient rights have existed in American law for only about two decades. If am afraid, a discussion of the value of patient rights that prevent the public from knowing when a public figure has a highly contagious virus that has already killed close to 130,000 Americans in less than half a year, an existential threat that hasn't existed in the history of these patient rights, would be a political one. I won't get into that.

But so what? Those rights threaten the upcoming baseball that won't even begin until late July because of the virus.
                          Are you under the impression that two players tested positive and they are hiding it from the team and still mingling with the rest of the players? That's the only way I can imagine you jumping to the conclusion that HIPAA is threatening the baseball season.

Comment

The two players in question tested positive during the pre-camp screening and were never in Comiskey or had contact with their teammates. It is irrelevant who they are, just hope they remain asymptomatic and test negative soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                              The two players in question tested positive during the pre-camp screening and were never in Comiskey or had contact with their teammates. It is irrelevant who they are, just hope they remain asymptomatic and test negative soon.
                              Thanks, That's really all that matters. Anything else is crossing the line into politics regarding handling of medical information. Coronavirus is obviously a concern but it appears the league is doing everything possible to keep players safe and even allowing them to opt out of the season if they so choose.
                              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
                              X