Jace Fry to IL (back)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jace Fry to IL (back)

Microdisectomy in January. Sounds like he will be out until May, at least.

https://mobile.twitter.com/scottmerk...00196012920833

Everyone knows my thoughts on the Sox injury situation the past three years in a row, so I'm not surprised it has already started even before spring training games. This is why depth was so important and how the Sox are taking a major gamble by not protecting themselves in some key areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      Everyone knows my thoughts on the Sox injury situation the past three years in a row, so I'm not surprised it has already started even before spring training games. This is why depth was so important and how the Sox are taking a major gamble by not protecting themselves in some key areas.
      The Sox have known about this since at least January, so they obviously like their own options for the pen.

Comment

Was he injured in January or did the Sox wait until then to do something about it?

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
          Was he injured in January or did the Sox wait until then to do something about it?
          Hahn also indicated today that the plan is for Crochet to start the season in the big leagues, and this could be a reason why. Outside of Bummer, Fry, and Crochet, are there any other LHRP options on the 40 man? Rodon could be in the mix as well if he doesn't crack the rotation.

I'm not saying the Sox are "thin" at LHRP, because Bummer/Fry/Crochet is a really strong top 3, it's just that the options are limited behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            Does it matter? If it was catastrophic, that sucks. If it were a rising issue that didn’t resolve past a doctors prescribed timeline - it also sucks, but doctors and second opinions are standard. Nobody rushes surgeries of this nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post

The Sox have known about this since at least January, so they obviously like their own options for the pen.
              My point isn't specifically about an individual player or position just the overall situation. Injuries have gutted this organization at both the major and minor league levels for three straight seasons. In 2020 for example, there was a stretch where the Sox were losing a guy every other day it seemed. To think this is going to "suddenly" stop is being unrealistic...they need to protect themselves. Ignoring the chance of it happening again (and I'd argue there's a very good chance it's going to happen) is taking a major, major risk.

Comment

My point isn't specifically about an individual player or position just the overall situation. Injuries have gutted this organization at both the major and minor league levels for three straight seasons. In 2020 for example, there was a stretch where the Sox were losing a guy every other day it seemed. To think this is going to "suddenly" stop is being unrealistic...they need to protect themselves. Ignoring the chance of it happening again (and I'd argue there's a very good chance it's going to happen) is taking a major, major risk.
                The Sox are not the only team that have been hit hard by injuries. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that Sox pitchers are any more likely to get injured than any other team - if you have evidence to support that, please present it. The situation probably has more to do with league-wide trends in developing pitchers, especially the increased focus on velocity.

2020 in particular was a heavy injury year across the league due to the pandemic and the weird spring training/summer camp ramp up.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

The Sox are not the only team that have been hit hard by injuries. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that Sox pitchers are any more likely to get injured than any other team - if you have evidence to support that, please present that. It probably has more to do with league-wide trends in developing pitchers, especially the increased focus on velocity.

2020 in particular was a heavy injury year across the league due to the pandemic and the weird spring training/summer camp ramp up.
                  The number of Sox injuries at both the major and minor league levels many to key parts of the rebuild were heavy as well in 2018 and 2019. Feel free to look it up. According to the Sox media guide from a few years ago the Sox had the league average number of injuries however they were far above the league average in games missed. If I remember they were talking about the 2018 season.

Bottom line...why even take the chance? Today is day one of spring training there are guys still out there whom the Sox can sign for a reasonable price that would help from a depth / insurance standpoint. Let's see if they do it or run the risk of having to use overmatched kids in the field or the Ross Detwiller's of the world in the middle of a pennant race.

Comment

The number of Sox injuries at both the major and minor league levels many to key parts of the rebuild were heavy as well in 2018 and 2019. Feel free to look it up. According to the Sox media guide from a few years ago the Sox had the league average number of injuries however they were far above the league average in games missed. If I remember they were talking about the 2018 season.

Bottom line...why even take the chance? Today is day one of spring training there are guys still out there whom the Sox can sign for a reasonable price that would help from a depth / insurance standpoint. Let's see if they do it or run the risk of having to use overmatched kids in the field or the Ross Detwiller's of the world in the middle of a pennant race.
                    Related, Hahn said that any further additions would be in the form of minor league contracts/NRIs. I agree that I'm concerned about depth.

Comment

Speaking of injuries and depth...

D of the Sun-Times looks at said issue with the Sox:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...-tony-la-russa

Comment

Working...
                      X