Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southpaw 23rd in Athletic mascot rankings

https://theathletic.com/1885298/2020...-the-phanatic/
    For those who don't subscribe to The Athletic, they describe Southpaw as "featureless" and a mascot who only relates to kids. Accordingly, they put him in the top spot of the lowest tier. I'll admit I was weary about Southpaw when he first came onto the scene, but he grew on me after a few years. He should be ranked higher than this.

23rd actually ranks pretty high compared to where Southpaw's predecessor, the animated Waldo the Wolf would rate. After the disaster of Ribbie & Roobarb, the Sox didn't dare create a real-life version of Waldo.

Comment

It's preposterous that anyone still uses the eye test to evaluate mascots. Advanced metrics prove that Southpaw is the best of his generation.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post
        It's preposterous that anyone still uses the eye test to evaluate mascots. Advanced metrics prove that Southpaw is the best of his generation.
        This made me laugh. Thanks. The Paw's launch angle and spin rate are excellent.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
        All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
        Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

This made me laugh. Thanks. The Paw's launch angle and spin rate are excellent.
          Actually, he (she?) was second in the league in TSCA+ for both 2019 and 2018.

(T Shirt Cannon Accuracy, park adjusted)

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

Actually, he (she?) was second in the league in TSCA+ for both 2019 and 2018.

(T Shirt Cannon Accuracy, park adjusted)
            Yea but his DTDM* were decidedly below league average. The kids he brought up there were constantly out flossing him by an embarrassing amount.

*Dugout Top Disco Moves
            Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Frankly I'm surprised it's that high. Don't get me wrong: Southpaw is great, and gives fantastic hugs (in large part due to being so fuzzy) but unless you are personally interacting with Southpaw it's just not a mascot that looks outwardly interesting the way that, say, the NC Dinos mascot is.
              "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
              -- Thucydides

Comment

Working...
              X